Best treats for trick or treaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're going to have 3, unless one of the little urchins brings a friend. Our street is too far away from any other neighborhood with kids to make it worth the effort. Mrs. T buys what she likes, making sure there is enough in case we have a run (which has never happened).

5161.png

Tatt, that is purely evil genius! I am going to try that, lol.

We used to get hundreds of kids every year in our old neighborhood, but now we get less than 2 dozen in our new house. :neutral:

So, I think I'll go with full sized Snickers and Hershey chocolate bars this year. I mean, if the kids are going to walk up and down each cul-de-sac just to hit up 7 or 8 homes (about a half mile round trip), they deserve the good stuff.

Did you see how many kids WE get each year? I'd have to take a second mortga...well, a mortgage, since we've paid off our house. Of all those kids who will show up at our door this year, we will know exactly three. The three 11-and-under who live across the street. Every other little kid will be from some other neighborhood since all the kids who were little when we all first moved here have grown up, some are in college, and a couple have already gotten married! Since we know the kids from across the street, I'll have goodie bags made up just for them.

We used to map out the neighborhood so we could cover the most ground in the least amount of time without having to go down a street twice. And no neighborhood was off limits. Seriously, it's a conspiracy out there. Kids would meet and swap info about who had the best candy and who to avoid. I also remember being out way after dark and when my friends and I got tired, we would just sit on someone's front lawn and sample a few of the night's loot.

Way after dark then was probably a half hour after the sun set.:LOL:

Here's the dog. I actually used to take some of my coworkers' kids out if they had to work the evening shift. It was fun. Halloween is my favorite holiday.

Attachments

• crash8.jpg
    crash8.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 144
I'm loving the pics y'all have posted! My daughter and son-in-law are all up into Halloween too, and throw a huge party every year. They might have outdone themselves last year - they built a pirate ship out on his parents acreage, rented a flat bed, and towed it to their front yard for the party. :ohmy::LOL:

Steve's original sketch
Halloween 12.jpg

Starting the build with his 'helpers' :wub:
Halloween 5.jpg

Steve scrounged an old piece of foam and carved the 2' skull for the front of the ship
Halloween 11.jpg

The captain of the ship. :LOL: Mostly thrift shop finds, some homemade - my daughter and her MIL sewed his clothes
Halloween 13.jpg

Daughter carved the name of the Pirate ship out of old foam, painted it, and nailed it to the front of the 'ship' :LOL:
Halloween 1.jpg

Attachments

• Halloween 4.jpg
    Halloween 4.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Halloween 3.jpg
    Halloween 3.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
More guests, OMGosh...their house is packed this time of year and everyone has a great time :LOL:
Halloween.jpg

More hand painted signs in the front yard :ohmy:
Halloween 8.jpg

Last but not least, The Lovely Ladies are always dressed up in their very best for the occasion. :wub::LOL: (also thrift shop and flea market finds!)
Halloween 7.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, Cheryl, that's incredible!!! Those will all be some great memories for all of those kids when they grow up.

Wow, Cheryl, that's incredible!!! Those will all be some great memories for all of those kids when they grow up.

Thanks, Bucky! It's already gone into the next generation. :LOL:

My daughter married into such a fun family :LOL:. Decades ago, my son-in-law, his 3 siblings, and his parents agreed on one major celebration/get together per year for each family member to host. My SIL happens to have Halloween. You ought to see Christmas and Thanksgiving. :shock: :LOL:

Last edited:
When you live in a city neighborhood, a kid could go home with a shopping bag full of goodies. As my kids did for a couple of years. Then came the razor blades, needles, etc. stuck into the candy. The next year the police department asked the parents to keep their kids from TandT. The city threw a party in the afternoon for the youngest ones and then another one later in the early evening at the local movie theatre. It went with cartoons, short movies including Charlie Brown and live entertainment. They left with a small bag of goodies. That happened three years in a row until the city was certain the danger had passed. They found and arrested the person responsible for the razor blades, etc.

A lot of kids enjoyed doing Halloween that way. And some were upset that it had come to an end. Including my kids.

Also I remember my kids when were allowed to go to school on Halloween wearing their costumes minus their masks. They had a party at school also. Parents provided baked goodies. Mostly cupcakes. Some sent bags of candy. Enough for the whole class. I was one of the latter. I had three kids in the same school. I would have had to start baking a week ahead.

Cheryl, those are worthy of being Disney props! Himself called them "amazing", and I agree. BTW, if Steve ever gets tired of fire-fighting, he just might want to get a job with Disney. A friend of our niece (the mosaic artist) used to work for Disney Cruises as a sets and props mistress. She really enjoyed it, but then found the same job with Cirque so that she didn't have to be away at sea for, I think, up to 10 days at a time. Those people have to be creative when first coming up with designs, then with maintaining them as they start to show wear and tear. Chewing gum under the enamel paint, anyone? :ermm: :LOL:

Thanks, CG! Love the stories of your niece and her friend who got to go on the cruises! My SIL is all up into Disney - they're only about an hour away. OMG...I'll have to find the link of the Main Street Disneyland Piano Player, they got him to come for one of their Halloween parties. It was a blast!:LOL:

Could you please re-post niece's mosaic webpage link for me so I could save it this time? :)

I got a bag of candy Shrek and I will never eat. Any kids that show up will have something to put in their bags.

Back
Top Bottom