Birthday Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I'm planning a birthday party for my husband's 65th. I'm making My Cousin's New Mexico Green Chili Stew and a Jell-o cake. His choice. Asking friends to bring 50s and 60s era snacks.

But it is the weirdest invitation because I had to say, don't bring beer, whatever you do! Why? Because everyone brought beer to a Christmas party, and my husband bought beer, and my guest room now looks like a brewery storage house.

I'm going to post this elsewhere, but what in the heck do you do with gallons of beer? About half of it is either Miller or Coors lite (don't remember, don't feel like climbing the stairs to find out), half Tecate, with some other sixpack or two thrown in. After his birthday, I'll start another line and find out what to do with a couple of cases of beer.

Oh, by the way, I know beer is good for the garden. If it isn't gone by the spring thaw, it's all going into the garden.

Beer makes a great poaching medium for things like brats. Many times you can use it in recipes where wine is called for. And, of course, there's beer batter for breading & frying stuff.

If you google "beer bread" you'll find a number of recipes for that.

Beer & cheese and ale and cheese soups go back at least to the middle ages. I recently had one made with stilton, for instance, that was incredible.

:whistling~~~~take one down and pass it around~~~~:wacko::ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Raffle it off and donate the money to a good cause or you could wash your hair with it.

Last edited:
Beer Batter Fish is the best! We used to have it a school as staff meal almost once a week!

I also use a beer with my pot roast in the slow cooker. That's all. One beer and the roast. It is incredible, and the liquid makes a great sauce for the roast and vegetables!

Oh, you could send the Coors Light to my Dad ;)

People use it to make Beer Soap.
It's supposed to be pretty good stuff..

Swatch that..* HICK* path it awound. :LOL:

I use a few cans a year to make brats. That still leaves one heck of a lot of beer. I don't deep fry -- if I want something fried I go to a restaurant and let someone else deal with it. So much for fish & chips. It seems to me when I was a teen, beer was used to rinse your hair. Helped to make it straighter. My drinking rep in this town is bad enough without me walking around smelling like the one form of alcohol I DON'T like!

Esquire magazine had a recent article on vinegar made from beer.

Since you're making chili, beer works well in chili. Add a bit to your chili, and let it cook in a bit. Then if required, add a bit more.

Historically, beer has been used to help leaven breads and batters, because of the yeast in it, and has been used as a braising liquid for meats, espcially beef, before adding to stews, chili, etc. Beer, according to a respected foodie freind of mine, is a great poaching liquid for mild fish, and shellfish.

Where it is used as a braising, or poaching liquid, it is often thrown away after the food has been cooked.

As mentioned previous to my post, beer is used in a host of cheese soups and sauces as well.

Hope that helps.

Me, I detest the flavor of beer, except in chile.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Since you're making chili, beer works well in chili. Add a bit to your chili, and let it cook in a bit. Then if required, add a bit more.

Historically, beer has been used to help leaven breads and batters, because of the yeast in it, and has been used as a braising liquid for meats, espcially beef, before adding to stews, chili, etc. Beer, according to a respected foodie freind of mine, is a great poaching liquid for mild fish, and shellfish.

Where it is used as a braising, or poaching liquid, it is often thrown away after the food has been cooked.

As mentioned previous to my post, beer is used in a host of cheese soups and sauces as well.

Hope that helps.

Me, I detest the flavor of beer, except in chile.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've made brats with onions in beer. I used the liquid left over in a roux sauce the next day. It was incredibly delicious.

Back
Top Bottom