"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-25-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

"Bowling Night" Theme Food

We have an annual NYE party of four couples. Each year there's some kind of theme for the food. This year, someone got a Wii and we've decided to use it to 'go bowling' on New Year's Eve. To go with that, we were thinking of food that would fit with a bowling theme.

I'm thinking cocktail weenies and stuff, but I don't know really what makes sense. Any ideas? Need to cover all courses.

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2009, 03:57 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Most of the bowling allies around here have a small restaurant/bar.. It's usually a burger type place, with nachos, fries, huge dill pickles, soft pretzles and whatnot... along with beer and sometimes margaritas and wine.. Being in Texas sometimes you can find really good Tex-Mex food in a bowling alley. The one we go to has amazing enchiladas and tamales. Around here it's mostly like the food you would expect to find at a football game concession stand. :) So if you want your home to be like the bowling alley.. I would serve concession stand type food, turning up the volume and making it really good homemade concession stand food. Hope this helps!!

Old 11-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

chili dogs rule
Old 12-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I would do a cheeseball with finger holes in it, corny but cute :)
Old 12-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I totally agree with TheMamma regarding the concession stand food there are the fries, dog, popcorn and candies but make it more special..Also why not some jalapeño poppers with a mayo dip or some buffalo wings, jalapeño and bacon corn dog . for dessert a homemade popcorn. smoothies or gourmet candy bars. Or your could rent a chocolate fountain machineand have your guest do the dipping of a selection of pretzels, fruits, bread sticks etc...hope this helps

Old 12-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

sounds a good idea. I love bowling too. You can go with some snacks like Manchuria if you are fond of having Chinese food. Pop-corn and beverages.. i am sure you must have already counted upon.
cookingexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:40 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

We had our Wii bowling party - and the fifties style food to match. Ruffles & onion dip, lettuce wedges with blue cheese dressing, wings, Frito's, popcorn (from a real concession type popcorn maker just added to the host's gameroom), little smokies in the bbq/grape jelly sauce, pigs in the blanket (I used little cheddar smokies with a little extra cheddar inside), and mac 'n cheese.

Everybody passed on the Twizzlers for desert, but I confess to having some for breakfast the next day. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

sounds like a lot of fun. i do however still think chili dogs rule. lol
Old 01-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I'll pass on the dog and just take the chile!

Photos of the evening (not the food, however) are here for those interested: Buffalo Wine & Dine Dinner Club