"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Just a comment. Tilda microwave rice is streets ahead of Uncle Bens.
there are three keys on your keyboard.."i" "m" & "o"...imo.it means "in my opinion".you really should use them when passing comment on anything from rice to kippers to supermarkets,rather than making blanket,all encompassing statements.you can only speak for yourself,and those you know.
i use both & am well aware of the pluses & minuses of both brands.i presumed that the op is in the states & i see uncle bens when i'm over there.i haven't seen tilda,but that may be because i wasn't in a shop that stocks that brand.that's why i suggested uncle bens.so,it would also be sensible,in future,to enquire as to why a particular brand etc was named.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Dec 26 is also the Feast of St Stephen. I googled it and it says to eat Cannelloni. What's up with that? LOL My husband once mentioned that he hates the song Good King Wenceslas and that it's stupid. He doesn't realize it is about the feast of St Stephen, for whom he is named. His family is staunch Roman Catholic and his confirmation name is Stephen. His Anglo Saxon Protestant wife knows more about his religion than he does. Religion and ethnic traditions were so important to his family that I made a point to learn as much as I could about them.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Just wanted to say "thanks" for all the replies. I had all the ingredients to make CrystalWriter's ham and turkey pie and then ended up in bed all day with a nasty stomach virus, so Boxing Day never happened for us! I think I'll probably do the recipe on Saturday if I feel a whole lot better than I do today ... otherwise I'm making note of all your replies and will be prepared for Boxing Day next year! Thanks again ... :)
Old 12-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
Senior Cook

We kept it simple, turkey pot pie minus the crust with homemade baking powder biscuits :)
Old 12-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Never thought of putting rum in the custard. Great idea. Though, I usually don't make custard, I make a cornstarch vanilla pudding. I have tried to make custard and have never succeeded. I refuse to use Bird's Custard Powder.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
Executive Chef

If I ever have the luxury of having turkey leftovers again, I want to try this--

Leftover Stuffing/ Dressing. Pat it out in muffin tins and make a well. Fill with diced turkey and maybe a smidge of a veggie mixed in. Smother w/ gravy or mix gravy with the turkey. Bake until the stuffing gets crispy on the sides, although how you could tell this part, I'm not sure.

I also have a mini pie maker, or use muffin pans and maybe make stuffing shells first and fill and assemble with heated turkey stew.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
If I ever have the luxury of having turkey leftovers again, I want to try this--

Leftover Stuffing/ Dressing. Pat it out in muffin tins and make a well. Fill with diced turkey and maybe a smidge of a veggie mixed in. Smother w/ gravy or mix gravy with the turkey. Bake until the stuffing gets crispy on the sides, although how you could tell this part, I'm not sure.

I also have a mini pie maker, or use muffin pans and maybe make stuffing shells first and fill and assemble with heated turkey stew.

Good heavens, this sounds delicious!

Tags
menu