Brunch menu ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morela

Assistant Cook
I am having a brunch for 6 to 8 people next weekend and I was wondering what your favorite brunch items are. It will be a casual brunch but I would like to not have to cook individual items while my guests are here.

I am already planning on making a lemon blueberry coffee cake, fresh fruit of some sort and mimosa.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! I plan to make this a regular thing as well so I look forward to any ideas.

Last edited:
I have posted this before. No question, everyone loves this dish, especially the cook, since it's made the night before and popped into the oven the next morning.

Do NOT omit the buttered corn flakes!!

Lee

BRUNCH EGGS

16 SLICES OF SANDWICH BREAD, TRIMMED

1 LB OF SLICED HAM BROKEN IN PIECES

16 SLICES OF CHEESE – 8 SWISS AND 8 AMERICAN

½ tsp. ONION SALT

½ tsp. DRY MUSTARD

7 EGGS

2 CUPS OF MILK

2 CUPS OF CORN FLAKES

½ TO ¾ STICK OF MELTED BUTTER OR MARGARINE

Butter 13x9x2 baking pan. Layer ½ the bread slices, half the ham, 4 slices of the American and 4 slices of the Swiss cheese; repeat layering.

Mix eggs, onion salt, dry mustard and milk. Pour over the top. Let stand overnight, (preferable), or for a few hours.

Mix corn flakes in melted butter/margarine and spread on the top of the dish. Try not to skip this step, as it MAKES the dish!

Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until top is golden brown.

Hello Morela ~ You may like to add this zucchini frittata to your brunch table. It is also very good made with lightly steamed broccoli or cooked and well drained spinach. It can be made the day before your party and reheated or served at room temperature. Have a good brunch!

ZUCCHINI FRITTATA
3-4 cups thinly sliced zucchini
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped basil
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
2-3 cloves finely chopped garlic
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese or your
choice
1/2 cup baking mix (Bisquick or Trader Joe's)
4 eggs,lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9"X13"X2" glass baking pan. Put sliced zucchini into a large bowl and add remaining ingredients one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with about 1/4 cup more cheese. Bake for 25 minutes until firm and lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool. You may chill and then cut the frittata into small squares for appetizers or serve larger pieces warm as a side dish. This frittata freezes very well and can be warmed in the microwave. (I make lots and freeze it to use as appetizers during holidays!)

I think a Ham Strata recipe would be a great idea since this will be Easter weekend. I have a to die for ham strata recipe as well. I can share it if you like. Stratas are great because you assemble them the night b4 and in the morning just pop it into the oven.

Last edited:
Quiche is wonderful to make for a brunch:

Get readymade pie crust and prebake it for 20 minutes or so. Cool and then pour in a mixture - eggs, cream, sauteed onions, bellpeppers and meat of your choice (I like shrimps that are roughly chopped) and a lot of cheese. Pour this into the quiche and bake until it's golden and set. Slice and serve at room temperature.

Thick middle eastern/greek type yogurt, flavored with vanilla and serve that over home made granola (granola is easy to make or if you can't buy a nice gourmet style granola sold by Trader Joe's or Whole Foods)

Fruit Salad - Cut up fresh fruits. It's always refreshing and healthy

Egg Salad Sandwiches

Some type of potatoes - Hashbrowns but the ones that are homestyle. Made with cubed potaotes and onions and sauted in oil with salt, pepper and finished with herbs and cheese

Frittata - An italian style omelet made with eggs, cheese, veggies or meat of your choice, milk/cream and some binder (flour or semolina for more body). Bake it in the oven until nice and puffy, cut it into slices (like pizza) to serve

Count me in for quiche as well. You can add in just about anything - i.e. smoked salmon, asparagus and swiss cheese - mushrooms, spinach, muenster -- or a spanokopita pie. Serve with onion soup and fresh fruit in martini glasses.

Blintzes - you can make your own with homemade crepes and fruit fillings i.e. blueverry, cherry, appple, cheese & serve with powdered sugar and sour cream.

Crepes - store bought or homemade - a quick filling can be pie filling or bananas and yogurt or a dessert like crepe w chocolate chips.

Omlettes - prepare omelette recipe of choice and fold over fresh strawberries.

Spanish omlette - Tortilla espanola (sp) - eggs and potatoes.

My Sunday New York breakfast used to be - bagels, lox, cream cheese, red onions, white fish & jelly donuts, coffee & oj.

Here's a bunch of yummy egg dishes - check out the Asparagus Crepes in Mornay Sauce:

ASPARAGUSCREPESMORNAY.htm

And the Spring Brunch Dutch Boy:

SpringBrunchDutchBoy.htm

Last edited:
One of my favorite brunch menus is tomato pie, a salad with blueberries, strawberries, toasted almonds, goat cheese and chardonnay vinaigrette along with some fresh asapragus rolled in prosciutto slathered with goat cheese and a dijon/red wine vinegar/chive drizzle. And, of course, a prosecco. :chef:

I would offer proscuitto covered melon chunks and strawberries with the Mimosas.
Next, I'd serve up a good frittata or breakfast casserole like this one:
Jimmy Dean Breakfast Casserole - Allrecipes
To go with, present some sweet maple link sausage (cook in micro-wave or skillet), and/or Canadian bacon.
Hash browns would be a nice addition to your menu. We make ours by sweating out a little onion in bacon grease, then adding chopped, drained canned potatoes.
At this point, your guests may also enjoy a cup of good coffee with a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream, served with your wonderful blueberry coffecake. If you want to, open a container of Cool Whip, and use it to top the coffee and the coffeecake.
Have a wonderful time!

Crepes! You could fill them with traditional eggs or get creative with a seafood filling or chicken filling.

I love poached eggs over polenta with sauteed mushrooms.

Apple fritters with a generous dusting of 10x

Rice pudding

Shirred eggs

Croque Madame or Monsieur

Monte Cristo sandwiches

:) Some nice biscuits or croissiants would be nice also buy croissants in stead of trying to making them(croissants spelled wrong Im sure) at a good bakery.And really good jams/preserves and honey.

Last edited:
My favorite brunch items are:

Monte Cristo sandwiches
Cream cheese blintzes with homemade strawberry compote
Traditional Italian fritatta with diced potatoes, Italian sausage, and mozzarella cheese
Fresh fruit salad
Tropical fresh fruit salad
Beverages, besides the mimosas:
Bloody Marys
My trademarked brunch drink, called My Lady's Kiss (it's sweet, bubbly, and slightly intoxicating). Similar to a mimosa, only it's made with Kern's strawberry nectar and Ballatore Rosso Spumanti, and garnished with a thick skice of fresh strawberry.

Last edited:
Middie posted this recipe that is really good.

Bacon Tomato Frittata

8 eggs, or a carton of egg substitute
1/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash (I used the garlic and herb)
1/4 teaspoon salt (I left it out though since the bacon is salty enough)
1 Tablespoon oil (I used canola)
4 sliced green onions
2 large plum tomatoes sliced
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
6 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled (I like a lot of bacon)
2 Tablespoons sour cream (reduced fat is okay to use too), as a garnish

Mix together eggs, seasoning, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.

In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté around 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium-low and poor in the egg mixture. Cook 6-9 minutes gently lifting the cooked edges of the egg so that uncooked egg can flow to the bottom of the pan.

Set your oven on broil and top the frittata with the tomatoes, cheese, and bacon. Broil around 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted.

Serve each piece with sour cream.

This is my favorite coffee cake recipe. It is quick, easy, and you can make it the night before.

Cinnamon Coffee Cake

½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons shortening
1 small egg
¼ cup milk.
¾ cup sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoons salt
½ cup brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon

Mix together thoroughly: sugar, shortening, and egg. Stir in milk. Sift and stir in flour, baking powder, and salt. Spread batter in greased and floured layer cake pan. Make topping by mixing together brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle with topping. Bake until wooden pick come out clean. Bake at 375º for 20 minutes.

Sierracook

Should there be coffee, in that cake?
I think coffee and cinnamon sounds like a delicious combination, for a cake.
I will make this cake, for Easter, with coffee, even if coffee is not in the recipe.

Mel

Mel! said:
Sierracook

Should there be coffee, in that cake?
I think coffee and cinnamon sounds like a delicious combination, for a cake.
I will make this cake, for Easter, with coffee, even if coffee is not in the recipe.

Mel

Coffee cakes are called coffee cakes because they are traditionally eaten for breakfast when coffee is served. Since I'm not a baker I wouldn't dare try to give you a suggestion! lol I would ask a baker if part of the milk could be subbed for a strong coffee/espresso.

Thanks Kitchenelf:)

Does anyone else have a comment, to make?
Would coffee and cinnamon be a good cake flavour?

Mel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom