"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 04-29-2007, 04:55 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Okay, I said in my other thread I'm off to bed, and I really am, but dh is watching some dumb German police show and it's keeping me awake. :)

So, should I abandon the thought of doing these crescent rolls that my nephew loves? Should I just try to do croissant or tea bread? I can ask sis about it.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:06 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Since you don't have crescent rolls there just know that a crescent and a croissant are shaped the same. The crescent is more of a "roll" texture and the croissant - well, you know what that is. I think you will do just fine if these are made a day ahead and popped in the microwave for just a moment.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:34 PM   #13
Executive Chef

You mentioned you are cooking for 100, yes? The crescent rolls come about six to a tube/package. This will be a tedious job to have the rolls hot & make ahead or day of. The rolls don't need to be hot or warm to be good for the chicken salad. Croissants are buttery/flaky delish - warm or cold; and you might be able to find them at a bakery in your area that will give you a good price - in bulk, by calling around ahead. If this to be served as an appy, you can slice the filled croissants in half, or go with mini Hawaiian rolls.

Another thought - make chicken salad tea sandwiches. Make the chicken salad ahead - trim the crusts from white bread (if you wish), cut in half, cover and refrigerate on the serving platter you will be using - a day ahead.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I think the idea here is her nephew LOVES crescent rolls - so, here's my suggestion - make about 3 tubes for his use only (or however many he wants including leftovers) and use croissants for the rest!

Old 04-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #15
Master Chef

If you have a warehouse store (like Sam's) anywhere close, it would be worth a trip to buy your crescent rolls. They have both large and small in bulk, and taste a lot better than the Pillsbury canned ones.
Or, go the bakery route. Please don't try to bake all those yourself! You will have enough to do with slicing and filling them.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:44 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Purchasing at Sam's could be a bit problematic for velochic because she's in Germany. However, I see Sam's does have some presence in Germany. Don't know if that's of any use to velochic because it would depend on what that store offers and how close she would be to one. I haven't investigated the possibility of Costco being in Germany, which would be another source for bulk items.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #17
Master Chef

I'm sorry...forgot about that.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:03 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Purchasing at Sam's could be a bit problematic for velochic because she's in Germany. However, I see Sam's does have some presence in Germany. Don't know if that's of any use to velochic because it would depend on what that store offers and how close she would be to one. I haven't investigated the possibility of Costco being in Germany, which would be another source for bulk items.
If I'm not mistaken she's cooking here in the US though. Going to check that other thread now.

Edited to say: I think that she will be in the US.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:40 AM   #19
Master Chef

My guess is that par baking and freezing those things (which I too love!) would make them dry out and possibly get hard. Just a guess though.

Count me in the "make them the day before" camp. I can't tell youhow many pigs in a blanket I've eaten several days afterward which were still pretty yummy.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for the comments. You are all such a help! I will have about 2 weeks to work on this stuff at my sister's. They have a Sam's Club membership. I'm not buying anything here.

Yes, the crescent rolls are because they are BK's favorite with this chicken salad.

At this point, I'm really liking Kitchen Elf's idea about making some just for him and Mish's idea about finding someplace to buy the rest in bulk.

I'd be just as happy to do tea sandwiches. Thin bread, crusts off... it would be more elegant at least.

I do appreciate all the help. Keep the suggestions coming!