Canada Day/Independence Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wyogal

Head Chef
What are your plans? We have to be somewhere from 5-7:30, so might just grill on Saturday and have leftovers on Sunday. I'd like to do some kind of apple turnover, too. You know American as apple pie kind of thing...
What are y'all having today up in Canada? Any traditional types of food for your celebration?

Probably the same kinds of things that you guys do. Fire up the BBQ if the weather permits and kick back with friends, beverages and watch fireworks later.

Thanks GB! Happy Independence Day to you all down south too!

Happy Canada Day!

Happy 4th of July! We are supposed to eat at our friends' house (burgers on the BBQ), then come down here (where it's legal) to do fireworks. James gets Monday off from school, so I get him for an extra day, which is good!

:)Barbara

going to a family bbq at my son's house. he will grill. i am taking pasta salad and a flag cake. he has a pool, and that is good cause it is going to be hot. we haven't all been together for a while so i am looking forward to all the great grandbabies, oh and all there moms and day of course.

interesting stuff. i didn't know canada has only been fully (mostly? lol) independent since '82.

happy belated canada day to all you canucks. now please come take your geese back.

We don't want the damned geese either! Why do you think we keep sending them to you?

1982? Was the the "official" act making us no longer a "colony"? Canada Day is celebrated in recognition of the BNA of 1867 (see the Wikipedia link in Wyogal's post) and we've been our own country with our own governing body since then. The British Royal family has a special place in (most) Canadian hearts since we were once a colony.

Canada Day used to be called Dominion Day, and I thought the 1982 thing changing it to Canada Day was more for semantics than reality. Thanks BT for making me go look it up.

lol alix, sorry.

i like dominion day better. sounds more intimidating.

well no matter, happy c eh n eh d eh day. :)

lol alix, sorry.

i like dominion day better. sounds more intimidating.

well no matter, happy c eh n eh d eh day. :)

I like Dominion Day better too. You have no idea how long it took me to say Canada Day instead. Sheesh! Change is hard for me. I think our American friends were scared when we called it that though, now that we call it Canada Day the border is much easier to cross...you guys don't like being dominated much. ;)

I lived up north (just south of the border) and it was always called Dominion Day. The border was always easy to cross. One time, the agent came out of the hut, soda in one hand, sandwich in the other, and asked how we liked our Mazda...
We would also go up to a recreational lake that straddles the border, drive to a spot on the road where there was just a small barbed wire fence, along a golf course, we'd hop that and run across to get Makintosh Toffee in that little rectangular box, English on one side, French on the other.

A belated thanks for all the Canada Day wishes.

It actually became my "Independence Day" because Dad has been transferred to a physio rehabilitation ward at the hospital and is now eating for the most part on his own and they only want me coming up once a day (it is a very strict program). This is big because we almost lost him 4 times during the last 2 months.

Happy July 4th to all my American friends!

I lived up north (just south of the border) and it was always called Dominion Day. The border was always easy to cross. One time, the agent came out of the hut, soda in one hand, sandwich in the other, and asked how we liked our Mazda...
We would also go up to a recreational lake that straddles the border, drive to a spot on the road where there was just a small barbed wire fence, along a golf course, we'd hop that and run across to get Makintosh Toffee in that little rectangular box, English on one side, French on the other.

Oh man I love that stuff! I remember when I had braces as a kid I wasn't allowed to eat it and that was a tough couple of years. DQ made a blizzard with toffee pieces in it for a while. Mmmmmmm.

Oh man I love that stuff! I remember when I had braces as a kid I wasn't allowed to eat it and that was a tough couple of years. DQ made a blizzard with toffee pieces in it for a while. Mmmmmmm.

Yeah, I went through the "can't have MacIntosh's with braces thing". It was a killer. Though I actually found a way around it. I would put it in the freezer until it was very hard, hit the unopened box with a hammer or pot or something and then suck on the shards. At least I got the taste and "stick to the roof of your mouth affect" without tearing out my braces.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom