"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 09-30-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Wink Canadian Thanksgiving eh!?

It's coming up (next weekend - it's early this year)!
Can't wait! We're going up to our cottage again this year (have all my life), driving up there with all the colours and trees is beautiful. I hope that the lake is still a good temperature to swim in, I've been dying to go swimming and I'm not a fan of swimming pools.

What do you guys do for Thanksgiving (non-Canadians are included in this question even though this is early for most of our members)?
Also, what sides does everyone have? I think that we need to switch it up from the usual

P.S...Sorry if this is in the wrong thread space.

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
Master Chef

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I'll bet it will be a beautiful drive.

We have a very traditional Thanksgiving. I always used to do the dinner here, but my daughter has had it at her house the last few years.
For us, it's shrimp cocktail, roast turkey, giblet gravy, oyster dressing, mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts, corn casserole, green bean casserole, hot rolls, and a pies...apple crumb, pumpkin and cherry. I'm the only one in the family who will eat cranberry sauce, so I don't bother with it.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Alix?! Where are you on this one?

We began with a taste of Thanksgiving today roasting some pumpkin seeds and baking some fresh pumpkin pies. I'm in heaven just with the smell of pumpkin and spices.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
We began with a taste of Thanksgiving today roasting some pumpkin seeds and baking some fresh pumpkin pies. I'm in heaven just with the smell of pumpkin and spices.
I've had roasted pumpkin seed once. I was on a school trip to this feild/wilderness/maple syrup place and they roasted some up from the pumpkins we were carving.
o my, they are good!

For us we always have pumpkin pie for thanksgiving, this year I may try making a roasted butternut squash pie (out the recent Canadian living). it looks mighty tasty! we'll make all the components here and then put it all together and bake up at the cottage.

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
Everymom

I'm here Dina. And you know how I feel about pumpkin pie. Ick.

We do a turkey (brined), with a nice stuffing, usually I do whole oven roasted potatoes, but sometimes I'm forced to do mashed. I also do whatever veggies we have nice and fresh still from the garden. This year we will have some carrots, beans and likely still a zucchini to use up. I don't like to mess with them too much, usually just steam the beans and carrots and toss with butter and salt. I like to lightly fry my zucchini pieces, dust them with a bit of salt and a dash of soy sauce. I sometimes do a broccoli wild rice casserole to go with as well. My mom always used to insist upon mashed turnip but now that my great aunt isn't joining us for dinner anymore we don't have to do that. Dessert is usually pies. If I have to have pumpkin pie someone ELSE has to make it, otherwise its coming from the store fully prepared. Pumpkin just grosses me out. I have an apple pie in the freezer ready to bake that I might do, but more likely I will do a blueberry pie and maybe a rhubarb one too. Thats about it for us.

I'll be cooking on the Sunday rather than the Monday though, we like to just laze around on the Monday. My niece and her husband are coming to town that weekend and they will bring the new baby for Thanksgiving I hope. Now THATS something to be thankful for!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Sounds like your Thanksgivings will be wonderful this year! New babies are always a plus!!!!! SurvivorGirl - what a great tradition you have.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
Executive Chef

We'll be celebrating Sunday, we like to take it easy and eat leftovers on Monday.

Turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, various chutneys
Mashed potatoes and braised sweet potatoes
Carrots, leek and celery in vermouth
Sauteed brussell sprouts
Corn Pudding
Mashed turnips, might add some parsnip or squash to them
Pickled beets, onions, garlic etc

Pumpkin Pie, haven't decided what type of Bread Pudding yet, and something chocolately. I have a few bottles of Ice Wine I'd like to pair something with.

Then all I'll need is a blanket and pillow for the couch.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
Everymom

Lorraine, there is a killer chocolate bourbon bread pudding somewhere on the site. I'll see if I can find it for you and give you the link. If I can't find it, I'll try to remember to type it out as I have it on hard copy upstairs. It is KILLER good. Do you have a recipe for corn pudding you would share?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
...I sometimes do a broccoli wild rice casserole to go with as well....
Happy Thanksgiving in advance. Still early here to plan. Alix, would love your recipe for the broc/wild rice casserole - I'm envisioning some pine nuts in there. TIA. Have you tried the brownie pie?

Please do, share all your recipes with us.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #10
Everymom

CRAP! I forgot about the brownie pie!! Thanks for the reminder, thats one I'm going to do instead of one of the others. Lets see...how about the brownie pie, and pumpkin if I HAVE to, and blueberry if I don't? That sounds well rounded enough. Whipped cream works on all three of those too.

Look here for the broccoli wild rice casserole. I think the addition of toasted pine nuts would be wonderful! Especially on top maybe with some extra cheese?