Canadian Thanksgiving plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
betterthanabox said:
Fun fun, we have to wait until it November 24th. It's my favorite holiday, and that says something because my birthday is Christmas!

Why wait betterthanabox? You can do Thanksgiving anytime! Since my dh is Canadian and (it's our anniversary on Canadian thanksgiving) we often celebrate both holidays and it's always Turkey!

In the UK it is this Sunday I think, its called Harvest Festival. It happens on the next Sunday after the Harvest Moon appears on the Autumn Equinox. Christians here take a basket of food to a church and prayer of thanks are said. The food is then distributed to the needy, it is not classed as a public holiday and there is no specific meal.
When I was a kid we would on occasion visit relatives in London, I loved it when the festival of Sukkot was taking place. We would stay with my Uncle Maury he would build a Sukkah in the garden.:)

Alix--Thanksgiving wouldn't be Thanksgiving without wild rice (says she who just brought 10 lb back from MN).. You could do a wild rice salad, or wild rice "cakes" (like crab cakes), or wild rice stuffing, or wild rice pilaf as a side. I think the recipe I use is in the rice folder. I stuff my bird with wild rice stuffing--wild rice, barley, brown rice, celery, apples, mushrooms (morels are really nice to use, but if you don't have those, porcini work well), roasted pecans, dried cranberries, dried bread, seasonings, butter, some chicken broth. Sorry, I don't have a recipe, I learned to make the stuffing at my granny's knee and so it is by taste and feel. Yum-yum.

Glazed onions are also nice. And don't forget the cranberry salsa! I'm going to CT over Thanksgiving--so s/one else is cooking <g>.

Alrighty then. My guest list is growing. I now have about 14 people eating and unfortunately only seating for 10-12. I need to figure out whether to do buffet or not. I've got a couple of seniors who might have trouble with that unless I can organize a smaller table for them.

Appys:
Shrimp ring
Stuffed mushroom caps

Dinner:

Turkey (15lber...should do it)
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Wild rice casserole (thanks CWS!)
Green bean casserole (cuz I'm craving it!)
Spaghetti squash with tomatoes and herbs
Brussels sprouts

Dessert:
Apple pie
Chocolate tart
Pumpkin pie or tarts (made by Bugs)
Lemon bars, brownies and cookies
Choc/Peanut butter pie

Think that will feed the hoards? Or should I add in a little ham, or more of something else?

Oops! Forgot to add in the salad section!

Joe's coleslaw
raw veggies and dip (garden carrots, peapods, cukes etc)

And I'm still considering the creamed onions. I just don't think I have enough room to do everything.

Do you think the spaghetti squash would be good tossed with some sour cream and herbs rather than with tomatoes? Or will that be too heavy.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure everyone likes turkey. I think there are enough sides if they don't though!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom