"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 09-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Everymom

My spanish onions this year are fantastic. Sweet and crisp. I'll try this out before Thanksgiving and see how everyone likes it. THANKS!

Old 09-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Cool. Let me know how it turns out. It's one of my favorites.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
Master Chef

For the creamed onions just peel a couple pounds of small onions and cook in salted water until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain very well and place in a buttered casserole. Make a rich cream sauce of flour, butter, heavy cream or half and half. Season it well with salt, pepper, nutmeg and pour over onions. ( This much can be done a day ahead or the morning of and refrigerated.) Top casserole with bread crumbs and grated parm. cheese and bake in a 350 oven til hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes. This can really go into the oven with any other dishes. It just needs to heat through. They taste great but peeling the onions is a pain. I have made it with sliced large onions and the taste is the same but, they are not really as good.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
Everymom

Got it. If I can prep ahead its not so bad. Thanks Aunt Bea! What I might do is make small portions of some of these sides to see what folks think. I know there are only about 6 folks who will eat onions, and about 7 who would do brussels sprouts so I may just do a couple of things!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

oh man, onions in cream. it's not thanksgiving in our house without them. thanks aunt bea.

alix, what day is canuck thanksgiving?

if forget, is turkey the usual roast?
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I haven't ever heard of creamed onions before! Fascinating... :)
Old 09-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I make a CP corn casserole that goes over well.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #18
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
oh man, onions in cream. it's not thanksgiving in our house without them. thanks aunt bea.

alix, what day is canuck thanksgiving?

if forget, is turkey the usual roast?
Thanksgiving weekend is October 8-10. We do our dinner on the 9th. And turkey is ALWAYS my go to meal. Some folks prefer ham, but to me, its just not Thanksgiving without a turkey. I've been hoping to hear from my "chicken lady" soon to see if she has any fresh turkeys for this year.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
Master Chef

What are the Canadian "must haves"?

Does it have a French or British contribution?

I guess I am curious about how it differs from the trditional American turkey, cranberry, pumpkin pie.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #20
Everymom

Its roughly the same meal. Not quite the same derivation obviously, we are celebrating the harvest, not the Pilgrim thing. Usual meal is turkey/ham, potatoes of some kind, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sides (green bean casserole, squash, that kind of stuff), and dessert is pies and tarts of all types. Pumpkin pie is a big thing here too.

I'm weird, I don't like cranberry sauce with the turkey so I buy a can every year and usually forget to serve it! I end up making cranberry oat squares with it later. I also loathe and despise pumpkin in any form. If there is going to be a pumpkin pie or tarts at our table...someone else is bringing it. It makes me gag. LOL!