"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 09-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
Everymom

Canadian Thanksgiving plans

Holy moly! It's almost upon us! I'm still rolling ideas around in my head. I'm going to be having about 11 people, maybe a few more. I'm pretty set on the turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes. I'm still rolling around salad, dessert and sides.

I HAVE to make my chocolate ganache pie, and an apple pie. I'll probably make a third dessert but I'm not decided yet on what I'll make. Cheesecake is a possibility, as is some other pie or tart.

Salads are never to be sweet in my world. I will likely do my dad's coleslaw as we have some cabbage from the garden to use. I need one other suggestion though.

Sides...I am only going to do one "casseroley" type side and then a cooked veggie that is rather plain. I've done spaghetti squash tossed with fresh oregano and tomato and that's been a hit, I've done asparagus and proscuitto, I've done steamed everything at one time or another. I just need some inspiration here.

Help?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Master Chef

Roasted brussel sprouts, candied sweets or glazed carrots, corn pudding, green beans with dried cranberries, mashed yellow turnip, creamed onions.

Broccoli salad or Waldorf salad with crumbled bacon and bleu cheese.

What time is dinner?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Diced rutabega sauteed with onion, celery, a little fresh sage and a little black pepper.

Acorn sqaush (or butternut or hubbard or pumpkin or just about any winter squash) steamed or baked and served with butter and pepper or a little sour cream. You can also drizzle a little maple syrup on it.

Diced sweet potato tossed with a little olive oil, worcestershire sauce, lemon and salt and baked on a cookie sheet.

Spinach sauteed with lemon and garlic (let the garlic brown just a touch and it's super yummy).

Asparagus sauteed with lemon, basil and garlic.

Hmmmm, if I think of any others I'll post them.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Roasted brussel sprouts, candied sweets or glazed carrots, corn pudding, green beans with dried cranberries, mashed yellow turnip, creamed onions.

Broccoli salad or Waldorf salad with crumbled bacon and bleu cheese.

What time is dinner?
I love the creamed onions idea! Do you have a basic recipe? I've never done that. Got lots of little onions I could do it with. I like the broccoli salad idea too. Going to go check on those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post

Spinach sauteed with lemon and garlic (let the garlic brown just a touch and it's super yummy).

Asparagus sauteed with lemon, basil and garlic.

Hmmmm, if I think of any others I'll post them.
OMG, you totally got my attention with the spinach and asparagus ideas. I'm leaning to the spinach idea though. Lovely!

I should have mentioned that my Mom is diabetic, so I tend to avoid sweet anything except the desserts. I can control her portion of dessert, but at the dinner table she goes a bit wild with anything sweet.

Thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming please!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Executive Chef

For a salad, three bean salad.

I make a salad with cucumber, tomato, red onion, avocado, sour cream and blued cheese. I dice up the veggies, sprinkle in some blue cheese, add a dollop or two of sour cream, out a lid on the bowl and shake it all together. Then let it sit a few hours to let the flavors blend. Check occasionally and adjust as needed. Sometimes I also add a little fresh dill, sunflower seeds or walnuts.

My grandmother used to slice cucumbers, add sour cream and lawery's season salt and mix it together. Shed let it sit a few hours in the fridge. It was really good.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Everymom

That salad sounds fantastic! General proportions please? One avocado, one tomato, one onion etc?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Executive Chef

1 cucumber, 1/2 onion, 1 large tomato, 1 avocado. About 2 tblsp blue cheese crumbles but that can be adjusted to taste. For the sour cream I just make sure there is enough to lightly coat everything.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
Executive Chef

The red onions in the stores up here are always really large (flattened softball size) which is why I only use a half of one.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
Everymom

I grew sweet onions this year in the garden, think I could sub one of those?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Probably. I use the red onion because it's slightly sweet and has a milder bite than raw yellow or white onion.