Catering question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
Help me brainstorm here for a bit DC friends.

How many menu options do you think is the right amount to begin a catering business? Living in a 90% hispanic population, what menu options, including sides and desserts, would you include in your menu? Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I do a small amount of catering and don't have a menu.

I make what they want to serve and then charge them accordingly.

I agree with Jenny.

If you really want a menu you could have a "sample menu" to give them an idea of the things you can do for them.

Miss Dina...

I don't know on what scale you are talking about, but I would start with at least 6 or 8 Entree items, and all of the sides you can think off that would go with them, plus 4 to 6 dessert items, and several drink items. Each of the items would have a price, and from this list customers could build a menu that they liked. You could also build 2 or 3 menus (complete dinners) to show them as examples. Have a set minimum of people..12..25..50 whatever. Charge a 20% Down payment to book with the balance paid 7 to 14 days in advance of the event. No Refunds. Obviously you could do custom items for a customer upon request.

Have Fun!

First, make sure you, and anyone you hire can really cook spanish ethnic dishes.
Most people have an affair catered because they don't want to cook the food themselves, not because they cannot cook. It's more about quantity work. Cooking for 25 people is way different than cooking for 4.

Go to 4-5 restaurants and see what on most of the menus. Hispanic ethnic cooking is big on chicken, beef, legumes, rice, corn, potatoes, eggs and flat breads like tortillas (corn or flour). Most dishes are not chock full of vegetables because many locations have a climate that is too arid to sustain above ground , delicate, vegetables. Tomatoes, peppers, onions and corn are the widely used vegetables.

Once you visit a few restaurants, buy a couple of really good cookbooks. Get authentic ethnic cooking books, not something that some bogus television celebrity chef put out. Then, start practicing. If you are not hispanic, yet want to cater to that community, your food has to be as good as 'abuela' made. Remember, the idea people have the party catered is because they don't want to cook, not because they cannot.

I'd have 4-5 light, first course/appetizer type dishes
10 main entrees, 2 vegetarian of the 10
3 rice varieties
4 side dishes, 1 vegetarian of the 4
5 desserts

I agree with Jenny.

If you really want a menu you could have a "sample menu" to give them an idea of the things you can do for them.

I'm not sure that is the best way to go if you are trying to begin a business. At an optimum, you want to have good relationships with vendors, and you cultivate those relationships by purchasing the same items. With repitition of recipe making comes better quality food. Finally, most people who are in the market to have an affair catered don't really know what they want. They look to the professional to guide them and make suggestions when necessary. You have to be able to quote prices immediately. If your brochure isn't polished and professional, there is always someone else in the book who can handle (or merely gives the appearance of being able to handle) the party better.

That's not to say that the catering guide has to be written in stone. Always leave room for interpretation of a family favourite...but, in the end, it's your business. If you don't appear to be in control, you're apt to lose it.

I cater in home, smaller affairs. No menus. I do guide them and make suggestions, listen to their needs and imput and personalize every menu accordingly. Been doing it this way for years and it works very well for me. I guess it all comes down to the type of biz you are talking about.

:)I also say no menu you need to first find out what the occasion is and what kind of food they want then go from there giving them a choice of dishes and sides and an idea of what it will cost for how many people.And are you to provide tables and chairs who is going to take care of that.Tables and chairs you can rent but add on a rental fee to your benefit extra help etc.It can really add up depending on what they want.Im sure there is book out there that can help you and others here.Deposits and contracts etc are a must.

Thank you all. I agree with Vera. Letting people know what you're about is always a good way to show you're in control and know what you're doing. I love your suggestions on here. Keep them coming.

I am not a professional chef, even though I wanted to be when I was younger. I was a business owner for 22 years, as well as having had parties at my home with as many as 40-50 people. I also did the food and drink for my daughters wedding. It would have been cheaper to have had it done, but then, she wouldn't have had a watermelon carved into a swan or a 30" tall hors d'oeuvres tree.
Tell your clients that you will to fix anything they want for a certain price, but also offer them a decent looking print-out, listing your signature dishes, specials, and favorite side-dishes, along with prices per dish for X amount of people.
Also offer popular combinations, (BBQ chicken, baked beans, slaw, mac & cheese, and some kind of dessert) for a set price per person. These meals won't challenge your cooking skills, but they will make you money.

Last edited:
I am a pro Chef and have catered thousands of partys. First know your limits what you can do very well and stick to it before you go to talk to the person in charge have some ideas what they want and taylor what YOU can do to there wants. Some time you have to be salesman sam and sell what you can fix.. I f just starting out first rule never let your mouth over load your qual's. Figure in all of your costs tables, cloth's waiters
Ice what ever and build you fee around that. When you have sold the deal. get MONEY UP FRONT as much as %50 of total NON REFUNDABLE AND THE BALANCE WITH IN TWO WEEKS OF THE EVENT ALSO NON REFUNDABLE. other wise you could get stuck with a lot of grocerys that you can not eat and just mayby you can return most of it but you will still be out gas time and patience Be fair be firm and cover your back sides as to lible
in case the waiter/waitress spills some thing down the hostess dress or you set the house on fire doing a misqued table side always always cover your back side

If you are just starting off, please have all of the permits/licenses. And insurance.

You need to know the local laws, regs, governing a caterer. Can you make dishes in your home? I know in many areas that is strictly a no no. And there are a whole lot more.

Having all your legal and insurance ducks in a row, you have to find out what your market wants in terms of food.

Don't assume the 'hispanic' population wants certain dishes, find out. Ask the neighbors, or friends, co-workers. And then come up with an example menu. On that menu you will know the cost of every dish. If they ask for something else you have to get back to them.

The advice about the contract, down payments and the rest two weeks before the event is rock solid.

People get into catering because they love to cook. Most don't like the business part. and that is what they have to learn.

A caterer is a business person first, and a cook second. I know that sounds harsh, but if you are not in it for the fun, but actually want to make money, you need to have a thorough knowledge of that aspect of, well, the business.

Good luck and God bless.

Yes, your right Auntdot. Great point. Insurance and following the laws are of utmost importance!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom