Celebrations and Holidays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Time to give this a bump. I'm thinking some of you are planning for your Thanksgiving about now. I'd love to see some more feasts.

I am going to go British traditional and work up a feast from my new cookbook from The National Trust. I'll post a menu later.

Taxlady,
Love your new sig, one of my most favorite authors.:)

Thank you. I love that quote. I have been using it off and on for a couple of years and it still gives me goose bumps. Heinlein has so many great quotes.

And I'm not planning Thanksgiving yet. ;) Here in Canada the next one is almost a year away. This year's was on 2010 October 11.

Quick backup here. No Thanksgiving feast here this year. Made my dental appointment for the week before and I doubt I'll be able to eat much in the way of food that has to be chewed.

So, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing with minced turkey breast and pumpkin pie. Unless I can find some nice soft food in my cookbooks.

Quick backup here. No Thanksgiving feast here this year. Made my dental appointment for the week before and I doubt I'll be able to eat much in the way of food that has to be chewed.

So, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing with minced turkey breast and pumpkin pie. Unless I can find some nice soft food in my cookbooks.
That must be tough, the menu's are fantastic.

That must be tough, the menu's are fantastic.

Well, it ultimately comes down to choices...one more week of misery and learning to eat again or continued misery until I break down and have it done. I want to have nice teeth by my 26th Anniversary in December.:)

Well, it ultimately comes down to choices...one more week of misery and learning to eat again or continued misery until I break down and have it done. I want to have nice teeth by my 26th Anniversary in December.:)
Then congratulations on your teeth and Anniversary.

For us it depends on the holiday... I've always been of the mind, Turkey on Thanksgiving, Ham for Christmas, Smoked Brisket for Easter... The prep on the turkey changes each year though.. it's always brined.. but sometimes we deep fry it.. sometimes we smoke it.. and sometimes we roast it.. this year I am slow roasting it like I do "sticky chicken"(a recipe i got from a once a month cooking club years ago).. The ham is always spiral sliced and glazed, and served with raisin sauce. The brisket is always smoked (we are from Texas and smoked brisket is in our blood LOL)..

The sides change too.. With thanksgiving we have dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet poatoes, butternut squash, and green bean casserole (my brothers fave) with pumpkin pie or cheesecake for dessert (this year I am doing cheesecake and a pumpkin trifle).. At Christmas we do au gratin potatoes instead of mashed, skip the dressing, and have baked beans and maybe sweet potatoes or butternut squash. With apple or cherry pie for dessert and a birthday cake for Jesus, which is usually red velvet. We always have a big breakfast after opening presents on Christmas morning, so our Christmas dinner is never as big as Thanksgiving is.. And as for Easter... It's BBQ sides.. potato salad, cole slaw, fried pickles, etc.. and usually banana pudding for dessert. :)

Wow. Those sound like awesome feasts TheMamma. Is the "sticky chicken" recipe posted anywhere? I'd love to try that.

for thanksgiving, turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole. and what ever new dish i think they will eat. this year, mushroom gratin and pumpkin cheesecake, to the one granddaughter. turkey, scalloped pineapple , sweet potato casserole, and pumpkin bars to the other. just put the turkey in oven. it will not be warm when ever i do it so am getting it out of the way. oh and i forgot gravy. christmas is probably going to be the same. last year granddaughter had spaghetti. i was ill and did not go. i think my son might bring a ham to the one on thanksgiving. my family are fairly plain eaters. hard to make new dishes for them. although the sweet potato casserole was new a couple years ago and they loved it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom