"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 11-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #31
Assistant Cook
For us it depends on the holiday... I've always been of the mind, Turkey on Thanksgiving, Ham for Christmas, Smoked Brisket for Easter... The prep on the turkey changes each year though.. it's always brined.. but sometimes we deep fry it.. sometimes we smoke it.. and sometimes we roast it.. this year I am slow roasting it like I do "sticky chicken"(a recipe i got from a once a month cooking club years ago).. The ham is always spiral sliced and glazed, and served with raisin sauce. The brisket is always smoked (we are from Texas and smoked brisket is in our blood LOL)..

The sides change too.. With thanksgiving we have dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet poatoes, butternut squash, and green bean casserole (my brothers fave) with pumpkin pie or cheesecake for dessert (this year I am doing cheesecake and a pumpkin trifle).. At Christmas we do au gratin potatoes instead of mashed, skip the dressing, and have baked beans and maybe sweet potatoes or butternut squash. With apple or cherry pie for dessert and a birthday cake for Jesus, which is usually red velvet. We always have a big breakfast after opening presents on Christmas morning, so our Christmas dinner is never as big as Thanksgiving is.. And as for Easter... It's BBQ sides.. potato salad, cole slaw, fried pickles, etc.. and usually banana pudding for dessert. :)

TheMamma - Living the crazy life with a great hubby, 5 awesome kids, a couple big dogs, one mean cat, and one sweet cat. Yes, it's loud here at The Zoo. Got any earplugs??
TheMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #32
Wow. Those sound like awesome feasts TheMamma. Is the "sticky chicken" recipe posted anywhere? I'd love to try that.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
for thanksgiving, turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole. and what ever new dish i think they will eat. this year, mushroom gratin and pumpkin cheesecake, to the one granddaughter. turkey, scalloped pineapple , sweet potato casserole, and pumpkin bars to the other. just put the turkey in oven. it will not be warm when ever i do it so am getting it out of the way. oh and i forgot gravy. christmas is probably going to be the same. last year granddaughter had spaghetti. i was ill and did not go. i think my son might bring a ham to the one on thanksgiving. my family are fairly plain eaters. hard to make new dishes for them. although the sweet potato casserole was new a couple years ago and they loved it.

"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote