"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #21
Head Chef

The Thanksgiving meal is pretty much written in stone here. I can add to it but I can't take away.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:41 AM   #22
Senior Cook

The ones in my family who scream the loudest about not changing the menu, don't set foot in the kitchen. Go figure. I can prepare a new sweet potato dish or a unique spin with cranberries, but I still have to serve candied sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:47 AM   #23
Master Chef

I make basically the same menu every year that I grew up with. If one of my DIL's or one of my grandkids decides to go off one some funky food trip - too bad. They can elect to eat from what is on the table ... or not.

If they don't like what we eat ... they can start their own traditions when they are planning the menu and doing the cooking.

Yes, I am a little pugnacious ...

FWIW: Never had anyone go away from my table hungry - even when they started being a snot about "I don't eat this or that" in the beginning.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
I make basically the same menu every year that I grew up with. If one of my DIL's or one of my grandkids decides to go off one some funky food trip - too bad. They can elect to eat from what is on the table ... or not.

If they don't like what we eat ... they can start their own traditions when they are planning the menu and doing the cooking.

Yes, I am a little pugnacious ...

FWIW: Never had anyone go away from my table hungry - even when they started being a snot about "I don't eat this or that" in the beginning.

My Granddaughter went veggie about 3 years ago. She is not yet 17. I admire the fact that she has stuck with her convictions. I don't think my xdil supports her choice. In the past she has come to my house only eating potatoes, corn, mac -n-cheese and bread. I want to offer some more healthy options and not ostracize her for her choices. And as I said in my OP, I am trying to find dishes that others will eat also.
You said, no one goes away hungry, but did they eat healthy?????
Old 11-11-2008, 08:02 AM   #25
Head Chef

WE go to a friends house every year for a traditional Thanksgiving meal. We are a group of friends who are not with family at that time (we save the travelling for Christmas) and she is the one with the biggest house. Everyone helps with setups and cleaning up and we all bring sides as she cooks the turkey and dressing. Its always a good time, but I have to admit I miss the leftovers.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #26
Head Chef

Pretty much the same as everyone else. Stick to tradition, add don't take away. I know one thing that may be added.....Breezy's Scarlet O'Hara cocktail!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
I am working on Thanksgiving this year, 7-3 that day. The kids will go to their dads friends house with them, not sure what they are having yet since they haven't even planned it. Hmm. I will show up after I get off work. I am working the day before Thanksgiving, THE day and the 3 days after, so my girls and I will do "our" dinner another time. We won't make a turkey because my kids have been vegetarian most of their lives, only eating a smidgen of meat with much coaxing from their dad (he felt a meal was not a meal unless there was a main meat dish - used to get so upset with when I made only "side dishes" for dinner) so the kids have been pretty much strictly vegetarian for about 2 years now and I just follow what they do since I've never been a big meat eater anyway. At past Thanksgivings I would have a little sample of the turkey and that was enough for me. I have been collecting lots of great looking recipes though to try out, but haven't narrowed it down yet.

It's nice to read about the different ways people tend to celebrate - shows how individual we are with a basic foundation of needing to eat. :-) Enjoy your meals and enjoy the time with your friends and loved ones!!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #28
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
One year, after my mom, daughter and MIL had passed, it was just my dad, me, Dh and his pop. Dad hated turkey, so I cooked a pork loin.
I have also cooked Cornish game hens or ham for Thanksgiving. I don't think it matters what you eat...it's a day to be with your loved ones and give thanks for your blessings.
I agree, Connie! One of my favorite Thanksgivings was at a good friend's house and she made Goanese Roast Pork (Indian food!) and her mil made all manner of ethereal Indian vegetable dishes!

I happen to LOVE turkey, so I like to fix it for Thanksgiving -- but not for Christmas or New Year's. This year I'm the host, so I'm making my Creole Turkey and Cornbread Dressing (and Gravy). Cranberry Sauce, Sweet Potato Pie, Coconut Cake and Rolls. The guests will be bringing the veggie dishes and the salads, and any other desserts they deem necessary.

The most important part is making sure that nobody I know spends the day alone. I've ordered a 21-pound bird, so there should be plenty for everyone.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #29
Cook

Back 5 years ago...everyone came to our house for the holidays. Wife and I have no children.
So..Thanksgiving used to be awesome..2 deep fried turkeys, homemade cranberry sauce, smoked pheasant, etc.,etc. We didn't like buying premade stuff, it was all home made.
Christmas was a different story
The last christmas we had was Lebanese.Falefel, hummus, tabbouleh, lamb kabob with rosemary, kafta...it was my most memorable xmass
Old 11-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #30
Master Chef

If having Thanksgiving at friends/family... usually pretty traditional. But if it is just me and DH.... I break the mold. Anything goes!!!