"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 11-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
Head Chef
Changing some Thanksgiving Tradition?

Is any one besides me thinking of changing up the menu this year? I have a granddaughter who is a vegetation and a son who will only eat Corn, Peas and Green Beans. So I was thinking of adding "Glorified Cauliflour" (I think it is called) to expand what my granddaughter will eat. With it covered in cheese, the other children, I hope will go for it. Also instead of plain ole dinner rolls, I am going with Herb Dinner Rolls. I am also thinking of forgoing the Pumpkin Pie and going with Pear and Apple pies. Not everyone eats Pumpkin anyway.

I am interested in hearing any ideas anyone is willing to share. TIA

PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:31 AM   #2
Executive Chef
I would have a violent revolt here if I didn't serve the exact same stuff we have every year. I don't know why, but my kids are freaks about that. But I am going to add a few new things this year to see if eventually I can mix it up a little. babe too mentioned wanting to find some Native American recipes for her Thanksgiving dinner and I fell in love with the idea. So I'm going to make fry bread and and acorn squash with honey.

Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
Executive Chef
Like Fisher's Mom, the traditional menu here actually is written in stone. You can add, but you can never take away.

Most likely, we'll only be 5 people this year which does offer one big change...Lou and I are going to the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade this year. Dinner will be a bit later than usual.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Sous Chef
we usually have the same thing but my mom changes them around in prep styles and yeah she gets flax for it.

if your unsure of how it will be preceived maybe try making the favs and then adding a new dish or 2.

thanksgiving is a very big deal.

Or do what my family does and change the day of the holiday.

Our thanksgiving is this sunday the 16th. Tahts when we can get everyone together sicne we have weird work schedules. then we have the normal thanksgiving if who ever is off and usually end up at an inlaws house
Genius is sparked by other peoples ideas.
GhettoRacingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
Executive Chef
the only tradition for Thanksgiving at our house is that we share the meal with friends or neighbors. The menu depends entirely on what needs to be eaten, what did well in the garden. I don't buy any groceries for the meal, so the menu will vary from year to year.

what I have been trying to change is the gluttony associated with holiday eating. It depends on which friends we are eating with, how well that goes over...one couple, no way, every body else really appreciates it. I will serve one main meat dish and maybe 3 vegetables and a bread and a fruit based dessert. I put the emphasis on being with the guests and make a meal that allows me to do that. I cook every day of the year that I am home and don't want to put any pressure on myself to cook a whopper of a meal. I try to keep it simple and try to stay out of the kitchen!

We also don't always have the meal on the correct day, we have it to suit our schedules.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Master Chef
Not sure what we will do yet, but the pear pie sounds good, where did you say you live, I'm coming over.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
Executive Chef
T'ain't gonna happen!
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Head Chef
Since I am the sole survivor of the nuclear family and my wife's is all way out of state and scattered, and since our kids don't care what scraps they get (dogs, LOL)....
we have the luxury of cooking whatever we want for the holidays.
Last year we went traditional. This year I am thinking turkey again, perhaps with a non-traditional rub and seasonings. Gonna try an oyster stuffing I think.
(Which reminds me, we need a How to Make Fluffy Stuffing thread).
As for side dishes, haven't decided yet.
One problem is we like to have a big feast, which is hard for 2 to eat up! oink.
GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
Master Chef
We stick with tradition. Roast organic free-range turkey, creamed garlic spinach, plain roasted white & sweet potatoes, the infamous green bean casserole, stuffing/dressing, & cranberry sauce. Desserts do change from year to year. Usually we're too stuffed to care.

Another ALWAYS tradition? The "Scarlett O'Hara" cocktail - Cranberry juice cocktail, fresh lime juice, & Southern Comfort.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
This is the first year the whole family is vegetarian. Last year I made a whole turkey that kinda got picked at, but I threw most of it out. I talked with my family this year and no one wanted turkey, fake turkey or anything turkey like. I have some sentimental issues about that, but no one would eat it anyway.

For me the sides are what it's about anyway. I'm making mushroom stuffed pumpkins, 'sausage' stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy and, maybe, a squash & rice dish. All the normal stuff sans the turkey.

vyapti is offline   Reply With Quote