"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 02-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chinese Theme Party

Hey everyone. I'm planning a surprise party for my mom's 70th. We are having Chinese food. We haven't decided on having a full dinner or just appies. I'm looking from some creative decorating ideas. My tables will be covered in black tablecloths with red table runners. I have some paper lanterns, but that's about it. The party is 3/18 so I'm not sure whether or not it will be outside, although that's what I am hoping for. Any ideas would be wonderful. Oh yeah, I have custom fortune cookies, we well. Thank you everybody. Have a good day

Old 02-06-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I have deleted my post, as I don't want to be culturally, ethenically, technically incorrect, or step on any one's toes etc. with party decoration suggestions. Too many problems arising, and I may decide to leave this site. Hope your party is a big success.

Old 02-06-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Wow Mish. Those are some great ideas. Have you done this before?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
Wow Mish. Those are some great ideas. Have you done this before?
Thank you, pds.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the great suggestions. I did get chop sticks as well as Chinese Yo-Yo's. I'm trying to bamboo soba plates (small) to use for my centerpieces. I was going to put a candle on it with some stones and an Orchid. I just don't know what to with my patio area, where the party will be held. I'm going to put the small white lights everywhere and the lanterns, but other than that, I'm stuck. I appreciate your ideas.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
Head Chef

I’m sorry if I have to get technical here. I am of Chinese descent and some of the suggestions made were actually Japanese in origin (kimono, bamboo mats, Sayonara). If by a ‘Chinese’ theme, hhaarrlleeyy means ‘Oriental’, then all the above suggestions are actually very good and appropriate.

I can see how it’s easy for westerners to confuse the many different Asian cultures. (There are long-standing historical issues between the Japanese and Chinese which have recently been rekindled so please forgive me if I find it necessary to make these cultural distinctions.)

Anyway, if hhaarrlleeyy prefers a strictly Chinese theme, here are some ideas:

Black tablecloth is a no-no. Solid black is considered bad luck and only worn at funerals. Red for parties is always good as it’s a lucky color. Have everyone come in red. It’s expected of guests to wear red at the birthday celebration of the patriarch or matriarch where all the tablecloths are also solid red. This is to wish the celebrant good luck though may look strange to the uninitiated. Place Fortune plants (or tiny green bamboo plants or small leafy plants) tied with bright red ribbons on the tables (Mish’s Chinese takeout box is a great idea). Hang red lanterns. For placemats, you can put plain white paper with some calligraphy on them – just use black ink with paintbrush and copy a Chinese character, preferably the word for luck (even if not correctly), or even just a few brush strokes (to imitate minimalist Chinese paintings). Have jasmine tea served from a teapot in little Chinese tea cups throughout the meal. Chopsticks are good. Serving chowmein noodles at birthday parties is a must because noodles symbolize long life which you are also wishing upon the celebrant. Other typical décorative accents/Chinese icons are: oriental fans, dragons, fish such as carp and goldfish, jade figurines, Buddha figure, incense (Mish’s idea), fret design, paper scrolls, oriental vases, the Great Wall, the octagonal bagua symbol in feng shui (search this online), Chinese characters, Bruce Lee, oriental shirts/blouses fastened in front by oriental buttons.

Good luck with your party!
Old 02-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Hi Chopstix (cute name, by the way). It's actually Oriental in nature, not necessarily Chinese. I like the bamboo idea in the take out containers. I was thinking of using soba trays as candle trays with some stones and a lilly arranged nicely on the trays as my centerpieces. I thought about tea, as well. I need to buy teapots and lots of small tea cups. Luckily, I have plenty of time. I ordered the fortune cookies, however they won't be delivered until a few days before the event. Is black a no-no as far as all decor goes? Do you know of any websites that sells teapots cheap? Or any websites for asian party stuff? I appreciate your help. Thank you.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
Head Chef

Hi H,

If you want just Oriental theme. then black is okay. Just use lots of red accents. Gold accents are good too. I'm not familiar with websites that sell Oriental party stuff. Also you can serve Chinese dumplings/potstickers/siumai, preferably in small bamboo steamers. You might want to serve rice in little bowls too. I forgot to suggest to hang Chinese paintings on the wall, or wear outfits with a chinese collar and buttons.

From the Japanese, you can use Zen design ideas, like miniature bonsai trees, ikebana (minimalist flower arrangements), artfully-arranged pebbles and sand raked with distinct patterns. Other Japanese things are transluscent paper screens (light-colored wood and paper paneling), origami (folded paper art), sushi, cherry blossoms, tatami mats, noguchi paper lanterns.

I think you're on the right track as it is. You might want to watch Memoirs of a Geisha (Japanese) or Disney's Mulan (Chinese) to get more ideas ... Good luck!
Old 02-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Asian theme

Any good ideas on how to display the chop sticks and yo-yos?
Old 02-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
I have deleted my post, as I don't want to be culturally, ethenically, technically incorrect, or step on any one's toes etc. with party decoration suggestions. Too many problems arising, and I may decide to leave this site. Hope your party is a big success.
Mish, I sent you a pm. Please don't leave!!