"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 07-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Only one topping that I would add for the waffles, and only because it was a favorite at my youngest granddaughter's blessing party. I had made some home-made chocolate buttercream frosting for a birthday cake, and had some left over. It was in the fridge at my dd's house. Someone at the party found it and tasted it. I made it a little over the top by adding 3/4 of a jar of Nutella to the frosting (huge hit on the cake). The person who found the frosting tasted it. The bowl came out of the fridge and people started looking for something to put it on. They found a box of graham crackers and it became the prefered food at the party. A few people took small bowls and filled them with the frosting, and were eating it with spoons! I was somewhat amazed at people's reactions to this simple frosting. It would go great on yeasty waffles.

Can you imagine dipping strawberries in it and placing on a waffle?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
How could THAT be bad? Without making frosting, though, Nutella is a great waffle topping, and would be a fun addition to your brunch buffet.

And Mazel Tov on your new grandchild!

Old 07-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Kayelle, poached eggs in aspic are an old timey ladies luncheon dish. It is what is sounds like. The key is a well flavored base stock, clarified, with a bit of gelatin added. You put a bit of aspic in your mold and let it set, then add any garnish you like (chicken tarragon stock for me, so a few tarragon leaves and a bit of lemon zest, because I like lemon and tarragon together) set the eggs on the garnishes, cover with the liquid aspic, chill until set, unmold and enjoy. I hadn't thought about it in years and it is a bit fussy, but if you have the eggs and plenty of stock in the freezer, the hot weather we are having calls it to mind.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
Master Chef

I like waffles with stewed dried fruit and greek yogurt, easy to prep ahead!
Bolognaise sauce is also good on waffles with grated cheese.
Butterscotch sauce with banana etc....

But all your ideas sound great!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraC View Post
Kayelle, poached eggs in aspic are an old timey ladies luncheon dish. It is what is sounds like. The key is a well flavored base stock, clarified, with a bit of gelatin added. You put a bit of aspic in your mold and let it set, then add any garnish you like (chicken tarragon stock for me, so a few tarragon leaves and a bit of lemon zest, because I like lemon and tarragon together) set the eggs on the garnishes, cover with the liquid aspic, chill until set, unmold and enjoy. I hadn't thought about it in years and it is a bit fussy, but if you have the eggs and plenty of stock in the freezer, the hot weather we are having calls it to mind.
Oh wow Nora!! This sounds really interesting, and I've never heard of it...lowrd knows I'm old enough to be "old timey"..... My mom has been gone many years and she loved tomato aspic.....she used a shortcut of using half tomato juice and half Snappy Tom, but I like your suggestions for a clear aspic. I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote