"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 06-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Christening party for 45

I am putting together a Christening party for about 45, date TBD, the Sunday following the birth (as long as it is more than 2 days following), I am the grandmother and labor coach, so fully intend to be at the Christening, not in the kitchen! I have lined up 8 waffle irons and laid out the circuits for power to use them all. I plan a yeast batter and a lighter whipped egg white batter, with "pour your own" plans and a "dress your own" station or two. It will be a brunch, served at about noon, so I am thinking lots of fresh fruits, a fried chicken and gravy, and the normal syrups as toppings, with sausage and bacon as sides and Bloody Mary's Virgin Mary's, Mimosa's, OJ punch, a coffee drink of some persuasion to drink. My son, the father, will hopefully be free from Army responsibilities for the festivities and is quite a good cook, but anything he does/performs/flambes will have to be done at the last minute.

What would you plan, if asked for a waffle Christening party (by your beloved daughter in law)? I don't want to miss out on a good idea for this grandson.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

It sounds like you've got it pretty well covered. Since you are including sausage and bacon, you might like to include a pan of scrambled eggs, if you have a way to keep it warm.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

your granddaughter-in-law is going to have 45 babies?

i think that's a record!!!! you're a heck of a coach!

lol, sorry norac, couldn't resist.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Master Chef

Only one topping that I would add for the waffles, and only because it was a favorite at my youngest granddaughter's blessing party. I had made some home-made chocolate buttercream frosting for a birthday cake, and had some left over. It was in the fridge at my dd's house. Someone at the party found it and tasted it. I made it a little over the top by adding 3/4 of a jar of Nutella to the frosting (huge hit on the cake). The person who found the frosting tasted it. The bowl came out of the fridge and people started looking for something to put it on. They found a box of graham crackers and it became the prefered food at the party. A few people took small bowls and filled them with the frosting, and were eating it with spoons! I was somewhat amazed at people's reactions to this simple frosting. It would go great on yeasty waffles.

Can you imagine dipping strawberries in it and placing on a waffle?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Senior Cook

To be honest what you have planned already sounds amazing. I think you've got the essentials covered.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Master Chef

Nora, I agree that it sounds like you have everything under control. Goodweeds frosting story brought another idea to mind however.

This is simple, and always a hit for dipping strawberries and pineapple chunks. It would even be great on top of your waffles......

Mix together:
One jar of marshmallow fluff
One 8oz container of whipped cream cheese
That's it!

It's surprising that this simple combination is perfect, with just the right amount of sweetness.

Have a wonderful time!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Sous Chef

if you can rustle up an assistant - poached egg on waffle is a fav of mine . . .

the rest sounds great!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I love the frosting and fluff toppings! dc, I could probably get my son to poach a few on demand. I don't have chickens anymore, but have several friends who could contribute the laid today variety which are so easy to poach. Great idea and solves the egg question. I have a chafer, but really don't like chafer stable scrambled eggs.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Christening accomplished! Thanks for the encouragement and ideas.

Kayelle and Goodweed, your toppings were big hits. I didn't get any takers for the poached eggs, but they were outstanding in a tomato aspic for lunch the next day. I added a Bananas Foster topping, because is just sounded so good - and was.

Lesson learned: it is not enough to test the outlets and circuits, you have to also test the power strips you add at the last minute to make the table set up look prettier. Had to take one iron off line at the last minute. OTOH, with a nine o'clock baptism, the last party guest did not leave until almost 2. I am sure it was the food and not the company, LOL.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
Master Chef

Glad it was a success Nora, and thanks for the report!!

Poached eggs in aspic? Do tell!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote