Christmas 2017 menus/plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know where you got the idea that there is no football on Sunday. Or is it that since the Vikings play Saturday, nothing else matters? ;) I still follow the Vikings, even though I moved from Minnesota in 1964. Love what they are doing this year, especially with the dismal showing of my Denver Broncos. But there are still 12 games on Sunday, and I'll be watching NFL Red Zone for much of the day. And there are 2 games scheduled on Christmas Day too.

I kinda let that one slide in more ways than one. I was looking at ESPN play dates/ times on line and Missed when they changed over into Sunday games. Then, since no one commented, I didn't correct what I said, hoping no one noticed and no one takes me as the n0n-authority that I am. Probably already lost my "remote" privileges for the weekend. :ermm:

Actually, there are NFL games Sunday and Monday the 24th and 25th and Sunday the 31st to end the season.

Picked up a whole, cryovaced, beef tenderloin yesterday and some jumbo lump blue crab meat. We'll decide from there.

We'll have Christmas spread over a few days here, with the kids coming at different times...Rib eyes tomorrow night, classic turkey dinner on xmas day, Raclette with left overs on boxing day...that's it, that's all..

Typically, I add lemon juice, lemonzest, blanched green peas, celery, a bit of onion, a bit of hot sauce, horse radish (or a bit of cocktail sauce), mayo, heavy cream, and old bay seasoning. I didn't add hot sauce or horse radish, had to keep Dad in mind. Served with avocado. Nothing too fancy.

Double posts? No smorgasbord for you!

:cool:

I just found out that one of my sister's kids is bringing her "emotional support animal", a Corgi puppy. When I asked my sis why she hadn't told me before tonight, she said she didn't want to make it a big deal.

A Big Deal?

We have 4 cats and 3 parrots. 1 of the cats is an elderly resvue, and another is a rescue with feline HIV.

None of my pets need to be stressed out, especially by an annoying, agressive, constantly barking dog. What was she thinking?

Worse comes to worst, the dog can hang out in my TV room on the south end of the house over the garage. The dog supposedly is a herding dog that needs to be around people, or it'll get upset and bark more. Well, it can bark itself raw 'cause you can't hear him in the rest of the house.

But gimme a break. A "support" dog? For emotional support? That's what all pets do. Call it what it is and leave it home like everyone else. You'll both survive, and a lesson might be learned. Grrrr.

Last edited:
bucky, the local Boston Fox station did a story about ESAs this past summer. The reporter was able to actually register her cute pet dog as an ESA for about 10 minutes of her time and under $100. If she chose, she could take puppy on the plane and not have to crate him/her and put doggy in the cargo bay. Crazy, huh? Hope your Christmas doesn't go to the dogs.

...and cookies. Got those on a tray already.
I hope you hid those from your Dad. :ermm:

I'm about to scramble a dozen eggs for our traditional xmas breakfast. Then we'll open presents. Lunch will be at 2PM, so we can finish in time to watch the Steelers game.

CD

Making biscuits and Ital sausage gravy to fill us up so we don't snack too much before Christmas dinner @ friends house..

That said... we will probably snack too much before dinner on the dips and cheese and sliced meat plates I'm taking, anyway... :pig: :wacko:

Ross

We had our family Christmas last night. I managed to get one photo of the dinner table after I put out the appetizer course (escargot), but completely failed at picture taking from that point on. :rolleyes:

Anyway... Merry Christmas to you and your families!

kGxlON8.jpg

We had our family Christmas last night. I managed to get one photo of the dinner table after I put out the appetizer course (escargot), but completely failed at picture taking from that point on. :rolleyes:

Anyway... Merry Christmas to you and your families!

kGxlON8.jpg
That is a beautiful table set up.
I also made escargots (what a small world), but I couldn't find enough for 12 people (not too popular in the south I guess), so I added baked mussels, they take the same butter seasoning.

Just took the funeral potatoes out of the oven. We'll probably have that with some ham and veggies with dip.

The traditional xmas lunch/dinner is cooking now. I'm off duty. My dad and sister are doing all the cooking.

CD

Xmas lunch/dinner was just as bland and overcooked as I expected, but I did get the hambone and a good chunk of meat from the Kroger spiral cut ham. Actually, the ham was pretty salty, so I can't truly call it bland, but can't call it good, either. But, that ham bone and the chunks of ham I got will make a good ham and bean soup. The salt in the ham will just mean I don't need to add salt to the soup.

I watched the Steelers game alone. I thought we were going to watch it together. My sister watched it at her house, my mom watched on the 52-inch TV in the master suite of their way too big house, and I watched it on the 72-inch plasma TV in the family room that they rarely use. My dad doesn't watch sports. He works. Watching sports is not work. I gave him an Anova sous vide circulator for xmas, and he spent the day trying to master it -- on top of the hour I spent teaching him how to use it.

That is actually very normal for my family.

Tomorrow, I go home. Home sweet home.

CD

Xmas lunch/dinner was just as bland and overcooked as I expected, but I did get the hambone and a good chunk of meat from the Kroger spiral cut ham. Actually, the ham was pretty salty, so I can't truly call it bland, but can't call it good, either. But, that ham bone and the chunks of ham I got will make a good ham and bean soup. The salt in the ham will just mean I don't need to add salt to the soup.

I watched the Steelers game alone. I thought we were going to watch it together. My sister watched it at her house, my mom watched on the 52-inch TV in the master suite of their way too big house, and I watched it on the 72-inch plasma TV in the family room that they rarely use. My dad doesn't watch sports. He works. Watching sports is not work. I gave him an Anova sous vide circulator for xmas, and he spent the day trying to master it -- on top of the hour I spent teaching him how to use it.

That is actually very normal for my family.

Tomorrow, I go home. Home sweet home.

CD

and here I was feeling sorry for myself because I had no family to celebrate the holiday with... :LOL:

Ross

Here, you have to go through certain channels to get an emotional or physical service dog. They train the dogs and assign you one that matches your needs. You pay for food, medical needs, etc. but the society basically owns the dog and can take it back at any time.

Violet was what I called my unofficial service dog. If I was having an absent seizure (basically blacking out) she would come and nudge me. If I was crying she would put her head on my knee or lick my hand. When I fell on the street going to the dog park she could have run across the street but she stayed right beside me, actually touching my body so I knew she was there until help came. She had no training even from us. It just came to her instinctively. I am not sure Miley will be quite the same ;)

Back
Top Bottom