"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Christmas Eve--
Appies-- ?
Beef stroganoff
green vegetable
popovers
homemade pickles from this summer's garden
salad
assorted cookies and ice cream dessert

I made krumkake and spritz, DxW who likes to bake and said she was cutting back this year, in the end, forgot her goal, so there will be plenty of sweets.

Christmas Day is at my SIL's.
Huge turkey dinner for all the family, and it is a huge production when everyone gets together. Served buffet style. SIL is smart and long ago bought folding "church basement" size tables to set up and tear down after dinner. Clean up is a joint effort. Cousins return the tables to basement storage, There is usually a creative way to choose a number or the short toothpick method for disshes duty. The turkey roasters, platters, larger things are sent to the basement and washed in the laundry tubs. The only people who are potentially left out of the act are those who play piano or a musical instrument, so we get Christmas Carols after dinner. Then the whole thing is unravelled and desserts and coffee are served.
Bravo to the Whiskers and the Doodles Family!

Old 12-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #22
Sous Chef

My husband likes a ham so I picked one up. Side's of scalloped potato's and a salad. I'll probably make some sort of soup. I'm leaning toward a basic chicken noodle soup with the addition of some lemon. I love the addition of lemon, it really brightens the flavor of the soup.

I'm make a Death by Chocolate bundt cake for desert.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #23
Master Chef

Christmas Eve:

Pork tamales with Chili Verde

Christmas Day:

Prime Rib (the no peekie roast beefy method)
Perfect Scalloped Potatoes
Green beans with onions and bacon
Kayelle's Christmas Fruit Salad
Rolls

assorted desserts

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Rhubarb custard? How does that work? Doesn't the custard curdle? I'd love that recipe. (Have I asked this before? I feel like deja vu!)
I have to confess, I don't make the pies. My mom's group of church ladies makes them for fund raising for the catholic church in Mn. They make about 100 at a time then freeze them. They are ready to bake. All I know is there is egg in them & they use a tapioca powder in them to stabalize them.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Just the two of us. We won't have time to travel to DD's as I have to work the 24th and the 26th.we will see the grandbabies next weekend.
I believe we are going to have Chinese takeout for our Christmas Eve meal, then we will go visit some elderly friends in Canada. We will cook a Prime Rib on Christmas Day, probably scalloped potatoes or maybe garlic mashed. DH wants beets from the garden and I think maybe a spinach salad. I think maybe a mincemeat pie for dessert. Traditionally I bake a pecan pie, but DH cannot have any nuts or whole grains this week ;-)
Another reason to stay home for the day :/
Old 12-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #26
Certified Cake Maniac

Christmas is so different for us this year. Dad isn't with us and my sister has decided to not celebrate, and TB has to work 3-11 pm. We had the big (20 people and that was with some missing) Beier family Christmas yesterday with the full dinner.

I am just having TB's parents over for lunch before he goes to work and then they can stay and visit as long as they want. His brother and three nephews are hoping to come too.

I decided to make a lunch version of dinner and so am making Monte Cristo sandwiches (ham, turkey and swiss cheese in french bread dipped in egg and grilled), with gravy for dipping, cranberry sauce and salad. I am also making my curried cauliflower soup as "curried cauliflower" is a staple at all the Beier family meals . If the boys come I will do my "safe" buffalo wings so that they (and I) have something extra. I will put turkey in some salad for me as I can't have the sandwiches (I can have the soup).

For dessert I am breaking from my ban on baking and making them individual red velvet cakes with fruit and whipped cream. TB will have one of his special chocolate cakes with fruit and I will have yogurt!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:39 AM   #27
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Christmas Eve:

Pork tamales with Chili Verde

Christmas Day:

Prime Rib (the no peekie roast beefy method)
Perfect Scalloped Potatoes
Green beans with onions and bacon
Kayelle's Christmas Fruit Salad
Rolls

assorted desserts
One of the things I love about DC is that everyone uses technical terms just as I do!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Everyone's menu sounds lovely!

We've been invited to friends' for baked ham and stuff.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

My daughter is feeling much better today. But she is going to skip all plans for the holiday Including the party. She won't be having a Christmas dinner. She will have it next week. Her husband will be by today with my presents and stockiing.

But Poo called and wanted to know what sides I like. anything thing green. Peas, spinach, green beans, asparagus, broccoli. I had to stop naming them because he would have had them all for me. So I picked out two. Peas and spinach. They are having turkey breast and ham. I am not fond of turkey breast. So I will have the ham. He will be picking me up early in the morning and bring me home at night. I have an appointment early on Wednesday morning with the eye doctor. Can't miss it.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

The turkey is roasting, the Janssen's Temptation potatoes are ready. The krumkake is defeating me--for some reason, they are too brown--but crispy. I think the DH ruined my grandma's krumkake iron--I think he washed it. Frig, frig, frig. I think I will take a nap. Thank goodness after today, the cooking is done.

Tags
christmas, dinner