Christmas Dinner Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Ours is Christmas Eve, that is Scandinavian. I don't do ham, only because I have so darned many turkeys in the freezer and no hams. So the plan is to do sort of a cold smorgasbord and then sit down for the hot table, and then dessert.

Cold table (smorgasbord)
pickled herring (several flavors)
deviled eggs with caviar
shrimp bread (these are open-faced sandwiches)
roast beef bread (open-faced sandwiches)
pork bread (open=faced sandwiches)
beet and pickled herring salad

Hot table (sit down)

Roast turkey
Janssen's Temptation
cranberry sauce
green beans
gravy
We'll see what else I throw on the table

Dessert table
Krumkake
fudge
peppernuts
rosettes
maybe a buche de noel

Serves 3 with lots of leftovers. What are you having? I like to keep Christmas low key.

Prime rib and mushroom bread pudding. Haven't decided on the rest. Probably brussel sprouts.:rolleyes:

Very, very quiet Christmas for the two of us. I'm still recovering from knee replacement surgery and all the children, as it turns out, will be going to assorted "other" family members' homes as is their obligation this year.

I'd been knocking around a couple of ideas for our dinner and gave Glenn a couple of choices, both of which I know he really loves. Either stuffed Cornish hens or a whole chicken cooked on the rotisserie with herbs, etc.

His answer, "I want chicken on the merry-go-round." Translated, that means rotisserie chicken. So we'll have that and potatoes done some way, along with a couple of other veggies and some cranberry sauce. I haven't decided what to make for dessert but I'm leaning toward pizzelle and rosettes. They both are easy to make and my recipes make tons, which will allow us to have more as treats during the remaining part of the holiday.

We will be spending Christmas Eve and Christmas with our best friends. It will probably be similar to our Thanksgiving dinner, although we have all been sick and haven't talked much lately. Probably turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, a vegetable, sweet potatoes, rolls, pie.

The usual round for us.
Turkey
Stuffing (LOTS of it, I had two requests for extra stuffing)
Potatoes (maybe mashed, but more likely roasted in the oven)
Veggie - I want brussel sprouts, but will likely be outvoted and do asparagus or something
Green Bean Casserole - special request from Bugs
Broccoli wild rice casserole - special request from ME
Dad's coleslaw

Lemon mousse thing (Bugs contribution)
Chocolate tart
Hawaiian torte

There will also be cookies and nibblies galore. I'll put out a shrimp ring before dinner but don't want to spoil appetites too early.

I've been invited to join my neighbors K and C at C's mom's for Christmas eve. (Her mom {C} lives nearby, within walking distance.) On Xmas day it's just me and my dog, gonna cook a turkey leg/thigh or a turkey breast. It will be nice to have a peaceful day to chat with family over the phone and play with my dog and with my hobbies.

I've just got an iPhone and I hope to get the rest of the family to go FaceTime or get Skype so we can have video chats.

Last edited:
Crab dip for appies, Baked ham, butter baked brussel sprouts, baked yams and 7-up biscuits, Nehalem Bay Cranberry Wine and your choice of any of the 12 type of cookies I baked, all topped off with a nice hot steaming cup of coffee with Kahlua and whipped cream. It's our traditional Christmas dinner.

For our Christmas lunch we are having a chicken roll with a lovely filling of pistachio nuts, bacon and sage which we will roast, with roasted vegetables, parsnip, carrots and potatoes and some peas

Dessert is plum pudding with brandy custard and also some homemade mince pies and iced christmas cake :yum:

A small Smith-field ham,and my dressing mix for turkey thye love it, cranberry sauce, gravey oh yes they need gravey, asparagus with brown butter sauce, a roasted pan of Brussells sprouts, love them, fruit salad, and assortment of homebaked cookies and FUDGE!!! Starters will be prosciutto wrapped melon, Shrimp platter with cream cheese and chives .
kades

Having my son & DIL over. She's bringing rolls. We'll have ham, cheesy potatoes, a zucchini casserole (the kind with tomatoes), and for dessert a Dutch Apple Loaf with hard sauce. But just today, my farmer's market lady put out her first strawberries of the season, so I may have to amend dessert plans. Those berries smell so good!

My daughters have to split their time between their mother and SO and me. As a result I suggested a buffet we can graze from as we open gifts and relax.

Both daughters are bringing dishes-marinated mushrooms, pigs in blankets, spinach and bacon crescents, meatballs in sauce with rolls.

I'm making deviled eggs, bacon wrapped kielbasa filled with garlic herb cheese, puff pastry roll-ups filled with prosciutto, Gruyere and basil and cheese stuffed mini peppers.

SO is making paklava for dessert.

So far we are planning a standing rib roast and a turkey. Asparagus, mashed potatoes, stuffing....not sure about all of it just now. Going to be at the in-laws house this year.

Christmas Eve 2012 Menu

New England Clam chowder
Caesar Salad
Stuffed Clams
Fried Cod
Tater tots
Tartar sauce

Christmas 2012 Menu

Starter

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Entrée

Eye round roast
Burgundy gravy
Baked or mashed potatoes w/sour cream and chives
Baby spinach

Dessert

Cheesecake
Apple Pie

Last edited:
Going to mom's for Christmas dinner
Starter: Cheese, crackers, fresh fruit & wine

Dinner: Roast turkey & stuffing, Baked honey ham, Mashed potatoes & gravy, green bean casserole, buttered squash, sweet potatoes, corn (from the garden last summer), & homemade buns with butter.

Dessert: If anyone has room left...
Homemade ice-cream, ruhbarb custard pie, pumpkin pie, & chocolate dessert. As well as a tray of assorted goodies that everyone made for Christmas.

Everything in moderation........

DIL is planning ham, green bean bundles, some sort of potato or macaroni dish, etc. I will be there to help with it all. I'm getting excited! I just love Christmas!

Christmas Eve--
Appies-- ?
Beef stroganoff
green vegetable
popovers
homemade pickles from this summer's garden
salad
assorted cookies and ice cream dessert

I made krumkake and spritz, DxW who likes to bake and said she was cutting back this year, in the end, forgot her goal, so there will be plenty of sweets.

Christmas Day is at my SIL's.
Huge turkey dinner for all the family, and it is a huge production when everyone gets together. Served buffet style. SIL is smart and long ago bought folding "church basement" size tables to set up and tear down after dinner. Clean up is a joint effort. Cousins return the tables to basement storage, There is usually a creative way to choose a number or the short toothpick method for disshes duty. The turkey roasters, platters, larger things are sent to the basement and washed in the laundry tubs. The only people who are potentially left out of the act are those who play piano or a musical instrument, so we get Christmas Carols after dinner. Then the whole thing is unravelled and desserts and coffee are served.

Back
Top Bottom