"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-24-2013, 03:30 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post

Aunt Bea, it is nostalgia. While my grandmother did not do the Feast of the Seven Fishes, we fasted and did not eat meats on Christmas eve. As a child, we were often sent out to for the first star at night to end the fast and have dinner. Back then, dinner might have been oysters or fried shrimp. Potato soup, or even toasted cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. However, those years are long gone as are the people who embraced those traditions. My grandmother had the most fun traditions for all 12 days of Christmas. I so miss that.

Funny how we remember the traditions and the food more than we remember most of the presents that we received. Holidays should be all about making memories with those we love, Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #12
Master Chef

My childhood Christmas Eve meal was tourtiere after midnight mass. Since I've moved here, in the past half-dozen or more years, a friend's elderly father comes to visit, and is birthday is 24 December, we go out together. Small town, not always easy to find a place open. Last year we hit upon our local sushi bar/restaurant, and he was thrilled. My husband ordered for him and he scarffed it down. So we're repeating that tomorrow -- oops, I guess it is this afternoon! So, sushi, tempura, tonkatsu, here we come!

Old 12-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

My daughter is going to one of her SILs for the typical Italian Christmas Eve feast of seven fishes. When my daughter does it she only does five at the most. It can be very expensive. My daughter makes a pasta sauce with all the fish in it or a fish chowder.

Feast of the Seven Fishes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Her in-laws go all out for this meal. For them it is more important than the meal the next day. They make seven different dishes. I am not Catholic, so I tend to think it is a bit to intense for me. I went to my daughter's one year only and all the rituals the sister's went through were rather different from what I was expecting.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I will be picking up some haddock for dinner tonight. We always have fish on Christmas Eve. I think I am going to make some potato and onion pierogi since DH is supposed to still be primarily on soft foods. I might try some beet soup also if I can find my recipe.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
Executive Chef

orkney isle scottish lobster,french fries,steamed asparagus & hollandaise sauce.ice cold héritier de la famille castel chablis.comté,murcia al vino pdo & 4 year old vintage canadian cheddar cheeses with west country crackers & warre's otima ten year old tawny port,chilled....bien sur!!
Old 12-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
Head Chef

Assorted finger food. That's it. But I love 'grazing' so it's not a bad idea.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm thinking tonight I might recreate the Italian hot dog and disco fries I made the other day. I need beer, so since I have to venture out anyway plans might change.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We don't do a special meal for Christmas Eve. This year we invited some neighbors over for drinks and light finger foods.
Don't invite any zombies. They take that finger food thing VERY seriously.

We're going out to a Chinese buffet tonight. There will be quite enough cooking tomorrow!

With love,
~Cat
Old 12-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
We're going out to a Chinese buffet tonight. There will be quite enough cooking tomorrow!

With love,
~Cat
Cat, have you ever seen this comedian's Chinese Buffet routine?

Old 12-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I usually make pizzas on Christmas eve, a tradition that dates back more than 60 years, on my Sicilian side. I'll make it on a cookie sheet, thick in the Sicilian style, and load it up with everything I can find in the refrigerator and pantry, such as pepperoni, salami, mushrooms, black olives, and anchovies. Oh, and lotza mozzarella.

Tags
christmas, meals