Christmas Eve Meals for 2013?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We keep christmas eve quite casual. This year I made homeade pizza. We'll be snacking on cheese and crackers later.

So I went with my original menu. I love baked sardines, but it was the one dish that disappointed. I wish I could find a better quality sardine source. The frozen sardines that I found were okay. I just think sardines are not popular enough here for the stock to turn over. As a result, the sardine dish was okay, but not good enough to keep the leftovers.

The seafood paella turned out even though my paella pan was really too small for the amount of seafood. We do have enough leftovers to enjoy several lunches. Does anyone know whether paella freezes?

The flan turned out tasty. With the fire in the fireplace, a relaxing Christmas eve while tracking Santa via NORAD. :santa:

Hope everyone is happy and with loved ones tonight.

Attachments

• 2013-12-24 20.40.43.jpg
    2013-12-24 20.40.43.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 2013-12-24 21.01.13.jpg
    2013-12-24 21.01.13.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 2013-12-24 22.15.52.jpg
    2013-12-24 22.15.52.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
2013-12-24 Xmas Eve Supper

I tried out this recipe, but I only made two for myself. Baked Eggs and Mushrooms in Ham Crisps Recipe | Epicurious.com

I didn't have any fresh tarragon, so I skipped that. It was still very tasty. It wasn't nearly as pretty as in the picture. I think I will try this again and start tweaking it.

And for dessert: microwave fudge. It's PF's fault. She said she was eating fudge, so I wanted some and found this quick recipe. It's cooling in the fridge. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing a seafood stew, french style with mahi, bass, shrimp and clams. The broth has saffron and and you finish with a splash of Ouzo (could not find Pernod.)

Garlic bread for dunking and a rum cake for later.

I found out something interesting today. I used to use mussels for this but you can't find mussels in Hawaii anymore. They worry that somehow they will make their way into the ocean and kill the reefs so they can no longer be imported. Who throws live mussels into the ocean? Your guess is as good as mine.

Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas Eve to you all.

I just realized, what a wonderful variety of options we have. No rules! No stress! Enjoy.

Last edited:
Ritz "Everything" Crackers with cream cheese and deli corned beef. Fudge for dessert. Simple and no stress.

Simple dinner here tonight too. Too many last minute preparations for tomorrow. So, grocery store deli chicken baked French fries and green salad. I had a piece of cranberry fudge for dessert. ;).

We have never had a tradition for Christmas Eve :(.
A co worker was telling me today that a few years ago they started having a theme night for the meal they have been sharing with friends for most of the past twenty years ( their family lives across the country) so they have foods from different countries this year is American food. I admit to giggling when he told me, wondering out loud what they would serve. I guess it was decided that the appetizers would be mini corn dogs and a couple other things I can't remember.... the main course would be hamburgers French fries, and potato salad. It would be kind of hard to choose foods that were strictly American.

We have never had a tradition for Christmas Eve :(.
A co worker was telling me today that a few years ago they started having a theme night for the meal they have been sharing with friends for most of the past twenty years ( their family lives across the country) so they have foods from different countries this year is American food. I admit to giggling when he told me, wondering out loud what they would serve. I guess it was decided that the appetizers would be mini corn dogs and a couple other things I can't remember.... the main course would be hamburgers French fries, and potato salad. It would be kind of hard to choose foods that were strictly American.

That sounds like so much fun! How about buffalo stew with cornbread? New England clam bake? Shrimp and grits? What an awesome idea. Roasted wild turkey on sourdough? Mmmm. :yum:

I found out something interesting today. I used to use mussels for this but you can't find mussels in Hawaii anymore. They worry that somehow they will make their way into the ocean and kill the reefs so they can no longer be imported. Who throws live mussels into the ocean? Your guess is as good as mine.

Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas Eve to you all...
Best wishes to you for a happy holiday season and joyous Xmas.

Even if no one intentionally throws them into the ocean, accidents can happen. A container could break on the wharf and they could fall over the edge. Something could happen to a ship. A container might not be quite empty of live mussels when it gets cleaned and the mussels could get rinsed into the ocean.

orkney isle scottish lobster,halved & baked with chilli/garlic butter,french fries,steamed asparagus & hollandaise sauce for dipping.yum!didn't weigh the lobbie but the knife in the first piccie is a full size sabatier "v" series chefs knife.i reckon mr lobsta was over 1kilo/2.5lbs.certainly enough for the two of us.the héritier chablis was dry,flinty & lemony,just how i like it:yum:!gonna buy a case or two of that,when tesco open tomorrow,while it's on offer at a third off;)!.right,i'm off to chester to visit mum,so bottoms up & merry christmas to one & all,ho ho ho!

Attachments

• XMAS EVE LOBSTER & CHIPS 001.JPG
    XMAS EVE LOBSTER & CHIPS 001.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 227
  • XMAS EVE LOBSTER & CHIPS 002.JPG
    XMAS EVE LOBSTER & CHIPS 002.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 185
  • XMAS EVE LOBSTER & CHIPS 003.JPG
    XMAS EVE LOBSTER & CHIPS 003.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 226
  • XMAS EVE LOBSTER & CHIPS 004.JPG
    XMAS EVE LOBSTER & CHIPS 004.JPG