"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #21
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Cat, have you ever seen this comedian's Chinese Buffet routine?

That's so funny! Thank you!

With love,
~Cat

Old 12-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We keep christmas eve quite casual. This year I made homeade pizza. We'll be snacking on cheese and crackers later.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #23
Cupcake

So I went with my original menu. I love baked sardines, but it was the one dish that disappointed. I wish I could find a better quality sardine source. The frozen sardines that I found were okay. I just think sardines are not popular enough here for the stock to turn over. As a result, the sardine dish was okay, but not good enough to keep the leftovers.

The seafood paella turned out even though my paella pan was really too small for the amount of seafood. We do have enough leftovers to enjoy several lunches. Does anyone know whether paella freezes?

The flan turned out tasty. With the fire in the fireplace, a relaxing Christmas eve while tracking Santa via NORAD.

Hope everyone is happy and with loved ones tonight.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-24 20.40.43.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	20311   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-24 21.01.13.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	20312  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-24 22.15.52.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	20313  
Old 12-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
2013-12-24 Xmas Eve Supper

I tried out this recipe, but I only made two for myself. Baked Eggs and Mushrooms in Ham Crisps Recipe | Epicurious.com

I didn't have any fresh tarragon, so I skipped that. It was still very tasty. It wasn't nearly as pretty as in the picture. I think I will try this again and start tweaking it.

And for dessert: microwave fudge. It's PF's fault. She said she was eating fudge, so I wanted some and found this quick recipe. It's cooling in the fridge. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #25
Sous Chef

I'm doing a seafood stew, french style with mahi, bass, shrimp and clams. The broth has saffron and and you finish with a splash of Ouzo (could not find Pernod.)

Garlic bread for dunking and a rum cake for later.

I found out something interesting today. I used to use mussels for this but you can't find mussels in Hawaii anymore. They worry that somehow they will make their way into the ocean and kill the reefs so they can no longer be imported. Who throws live mussels into the ocean? Your guess is as good as mine.

Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas Eve to you all.

I just realized, what a wonderful variety of options we have. No rules! No stress! Enjoy.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Ritz "Everything" Crackers with cream cheese and deli corned beef. Fudge for dessert. Simple and no stress.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Simple dinner here tonight too. Too many last minute preparations for tomorrow. So, grocery store deli chicken baked French fries and green salad. I had a piece of cranberry fudge for dessert. ;).

We have never had a tradition for Christmas Eve :(.
A co worker was telling me today that a few years ago they started having a theme night for the meal they have been sharing with friends for most of the past twenty years ( their family lives across the country) so they have foods from different countries this year is American food. I admit to giggling when he told me, wondering out loud what they would serve. I guess it was decided that the appetizers would be mini corn dogs and a couple other things I can't remember.... the main course would be hamburgers French fries, and potato salad. It would be kind of hard to choose foods that were strictly American.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #28
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
We have never had a tradition for Christmas Eve :(.
A co worker was telling me today that a few years ago they started having a theme night for the meal they have been sharing with friends for most of the past twenty years ( their family lives across the country) so they have foods from different countries this year is American food. I admit to giggling when he told me, wondering out loud what they would serve. I guess it was decided that the appetizers would be mini corn dogs and a couple other things I can't remember.... the main course would be hamburgers French fries, and potato salad. It would be kind of hard to choose foods that were strictly American.
That sounds like so much fun! How about buffalo stew with cornbread? New England clam bake? Shrimp and grits? What an awesome idea. Roasted wild turkey on sourdough? Mmmm.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
I found out something interesting today. I used to use mussels for this but you can't find mussels in Hawaii anymore. They worry that somehow they will make their way into the ocean and kill the reefs so they can no longer be imported. Who throws live mussels into the ocean? Your guess is as good as mine.

Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas Eve to you all...
Best wishes to you for a happy holiday season and joyous Xmas.

Even if no one intentionally throws them into the ocean, accidents can happen. A container could break on the wharf and they could fall over the edge. Something could happen to a ship. A container might not be quite empty of live mussels when it gets cleaned and the mussels could get rinsed into the ocean.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

The fudge is delicious.

Tags
christmas, meals