"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Roast meat should always rest after cooking but I wouldn't leave it in the turned off oven as there will be too much residual heat in there. Put it on the side covered with a tent of foil.
That's the actual method to this style of cooking.
High heat for a short time, then the "residual heat" finishes it off. No need to rest as the heat has been winding down as it cooks.
Here you go Food Wishes Video Recipes: Perfect Prime Rib of Beef with the Mysterious "Method X"
I haven't used LP's guy's method, but I've used this one with excellent results.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #22
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Ooo, can you smuggle some Salted Caramel Mousse Tartlet out for me.

With a menu like that the most picky eater should be satisfied!
Three weeks ago, when we first settled on that restaurant for Christmas, they had maybe a dozen items on the menu. When I looked again a few days ago, it had grown by leaps and bounds. I couldn't even imagine trying to coordinate that many different dishes.

Salted Caramel Mousse Tartlet on the way... although I can't guarantee it will survive being stuffed into my pocket.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Three weeks ago, when we first settled on that restaurant for Christmas, they had maybe a dozen items on the menu. When I looked again a few days ago, it had grown by leaps and bounds. I couldn't even imagine trying to coordinate that many different dishes.

Salted Caramel Mousse Tartlet on the way... although I can't guarantee it will survive being stuffed into my pocket.
Good Lord, Steve! I showed DH the Bellagio menu and had to wrestle my iPad away from him! Yes, maternity or elastic waist pants, definitely.

Friends will be picking the restaurant, it'll be a surprise for us this Christmas.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #24
Master Chef

We'll have brunch at the newlyweds Christmas morning. I'll take something but not sure just yet what. Part of me is considering the ham and egg cups. I'll come up with something. Then we head to my sister's. That menu is fairly fixed. We have homemade pizza. We use Mom's recipe. That's the main dish then we have tons of cookies, candies, cracker jack and other snacky foods. I'll be making chex mix this year.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #25
Sous Chef

I picked up a prime rib roast. Roast root veg along side and a rum cake.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #26
Cupcake

For breakfast, I'll make a egg, cheese, and sausage casserole.

Like many, we will also have a prime rib roast with puddings, a salad of greens with pears and cheese, asparagus, and mashed potatoes for dinner. The roast beast is being made by the roasted beast expert of the house. (Not me.)

I'm making dessert, but am not telling yet what it will be!
Old 12-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Kathleen, I'm making a green salad (spinach) with pears for Christmas Day too with an Asian type of sesame ginger salad dressing. I am pretty sure there will be turkeys and ham and a full buffet to go along with it.

We are off across the freeways to the outer suburbs we go. BIL's house with approx. 40 or so closest relatives. Some out of town cousins will be unable to join this year. I think someone did Skype one year, hope we can do this again so we all join in.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #28
Everymom

Seems odd to see so much roast beast on the tables for Christmas. I'm used to seeing turkey for Christmas. I guess with your thanksgiving just past it might be too soon for it again.

We're having a brined turkey, stuffing, potatoes (I'll decide whether to mash or roast later), brussels sprouts with garlic and chiles, broccoli wild rice casserole, lefse, and then for dessert chocolate peanut butter pie a la Crewsk and crepes with fruit and whipped cream. There will also be a pile of baking set out.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #29
Executive Chef

To start off, the woman who designed my house is having an open house at her place in the early afternoon. I am taking chocolate almond cookies for my contribution. At 6:00ish, 5 of us neighbors are gathering at my sisters' house. My BIL is roasting a turkey and making stuffing and gravy. I am taking a potato dish(es?) and the other neighbors are bringing cranberry relish. All 5 of us are or have been building a house, so Christmas has snuck up on us. No mention of dessert yet but I am confident that will be covered.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Seems odd to see so much roast beast on the tables for Christmas. I'm used to seeing turkey for Christmas....

As a kid growing up, we always had turkey for Christmas. When I got married, I was exposed to a wider variety of options. We had pork roast the first several years then moved up to roast beef. Now we do either a tenderloin or a rib roast.

My sister does a tenderloin every year along with wither a ham or a turkey for her daughter and grandson who don't do red meat.

Tags
christmas