"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
Christmas Meal Plans 2013

With Christmas being less than a week away, I'm really surprised I haven't seen a meal thread yet.

What are your Christmas plans?

Mrs. K and I will be in Las Vegas with the family over the holidays. We were looking for somewhere to have a nice dinner on Christmas. After going back and forth between several places, the final vote was for the Bellagio buffet. I actually wanted more of a sit down dinner, but I have to admit their selection looks outstanding. And as long as someone else is doing the dishes, I'm not that fussy.

Looking over the menu, I am thinking I will need to purchase some larger trousers in advance preparation.
  • Caviar - American, Salmon & Tobiko
  • Split Alaskan King and Snow Crab Legs
  • Horseradish Brandy Cocktail Sauce
  • Scottish Cold Smoked Salmon
  • Smoked Bay Scallops
  • Colorful Heirloom Cauliflower, Lemon Dill Dressing
  • Mediterranean Calamari Salad
  • Tomatoes, Olives, Artichokes, Feta and Salami
  • New Zealand Green Lip Mussels
  • Broccolini, Olives and Blood Orange Vinaigrette
  • Roasted Broccoli and Romanesco Salad
  • Cranberries, Blue Cheese Crumbles
  • Duck Confit Quinoa Salad
  • Citrus Segments, Broccoli Rabe and Arugula
  • Grilled Vegetable Antipasto
  • Grilled Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Fennel, Eggplant
  • Roasted Red Peppers, Marinated Olives
  • Grilled Flank Steak Salad
  • Peppers, Grilled Leeks, Poached Pears, Kale and White Balsamic
  • Truffle Potato Salad
  • Herb Mushrooms, Parmesan, Spinach
  • Seared Scallops, Clams & Grilled Fennel
  • Rustic Puttanesca
  • Mussels, Fennel Scampi
  • Grilled Sea Bass
  • Leeks, Braised Cabbage & Persimmons
  • Salmon (Carving Station)
  • Bourbon Ginger Glaze
  • Fennel, Turnips, Carrots & Potatoes
  • Pho Station
  • Szechuan Beef
  • Shrimp Chow Mein
  • Fried Tofu and Brocollini
  • Coconut Curry Clambake
  • Kaffir Lime, Lemongrass Broth
  • Char Sui Pork Ribs
  • Peking Duck
  • Kim Chi Fried Rice
  • Pasta Butternut Squash Ravioli
  • Creamy Chestnut & Sage Sauce
  • Shaved Brussels Sprouts
  • Fresh Made Gnocchi
  • Spicy Italian Sausage, Rapini
  • Whole Wheat Penne
  • Zucchini, Mushroom & Peppers
  • Grilled Chicken, White Beech Mushrooms & Pancetta
  • Mac-N-Cheese with Tillamook Cheddar
  • Rigatoni Pasta
  • Blue Cheese Béchamel, Grilled Chicken, Sun Dried Tomato, Arugula
  • Rosemary Lamb Chops
  • Artichoke, Fennel, Onion, Red Bell Pepper & Persimmions Hash
  • Whole Roasted Free Range Tom Turkey
  • Giblet Gravy, Cranberry Chutney
  • Roasted Goose with Citrus Marmalade
  • Beef Wellington with Béarnaise Sauce
  • Baked Ham with Honey, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon Glaze
  • Herb Crusted Prime Rib with Horseradish Cream
  • Roasted Kobe Top Round with Brown Sugar, Onion, Paprika Rub
  • Curried Ginger Baby Carrots
  • Root Vegetable Hash with Diced Celery Root, Fennel, Potatoes, Butternut Squash
  • Winter Greens with Pancetta and Caramelized Onions
  • White Bean Cassoulet
  • Wild Rice with Smoked Sausage
  • Dried Cranberry, Roasted Chestnut, Scallions
  • Traditional Bread Stuffing
  • Barley and Kale
  • Mushrooms, Sage, Thyme, Pomegranate Seeds
  • Truffle Potato Gratin
  • Pumpkin Orzo
  • White Chocolate-Mint Mousse Dome
  • Salted Caramel Mousse Tartlet
  • Eggnog Panna Cotta w/Chai Tea Gelee
  • Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake
  • Decorated Christmas Cookies

__________________

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,478
Party of one this year!

The current plan is ham, kielbasa, cheese potatoes, cabbage salad, carrot coins and a couple-two-tree Christmas cookies!

I keep thinking about roast beast and Kayelle's scaffolding for a one rib roast, we'll see!
__________________

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Macgyver1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 207
Quote:
Looking over the menu, I am thinking I will need to purchase some larger trousers in advance preparation.
Dude...you should check out the Maternity section for those stretchy pants. The ultimate in holiday spare tire comfort. :)

I'm doing a ham, cornbread dressing...maybe a turkey, and definitely homemade dinner rolls. I haven't decided on veggies and other things.
Macgyver1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,720
Christmas dinner will be attended by my SO, both my daughters, SIL and grandson.

Both daughters will bring appetizers so I don't know what they will be.

I am making an appetizer with bulgar, olive oil, onion and tomato.

Dinner will be a rib roast with gravy with lyonnaise potatoes (a baked potato for SIL who doesn't like onion) and a green vegetable. I have to check to determine which green vegetable is acceptable to all my picky eaters. Rolls and butter for those who want it. Desserts will include paklava, gurabia, chocolate layer cake with chocolate whipped cream frosting and an assortment of cookies. This year I'm adding my favorites, oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip to SO's anise and eggnog cookies, pecan cookie balls and ice cream (because Steven loves ice cream).

I told my SIL I would make a lemon meringue pie. I guess I'd better deliver on that.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Dinner will be a rib roast with gravy...
I love rib roast. About the only time I ever have them is around Christmas. This year I'll probably have one on New Years Eve because I know they will be drastically reduced in price right after Christmas.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,642
Good hard salami, Soprasetta, Capacola, Home-made pastrami, pepperoni, Deli-chicken, Deli turkey, thin-sliced ham, liverwurst, Muenster, Very Sharp 5-year aged Cheddar, Aged Swiss, Lettuce, condiments, including spicy mustard, mayo, horseradish, salad dressing, etc., Home made sandwich rolls (potato bread rolls, but larger), several soft drink flavors, juice, milk, water, home-made egg nog, home made pastries (eclairs, cookies, buche du noel, desert ring), stacked jello desert, various kinds of olives, crackers. Best of all, no cooking on Christmas day. Everyone just grazes and makes sandwiches. Very few dirty dishes. Time to spend playing, talking, laughing, you know, the good stuff.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,899
The last several days our guest list has been going up and down like a yo-yo but we're prepared for three or a dozen guests, however it plays out.

At this point the menu will include roast turkey (brined ahead of time), gravy, stuffing inside the bird, cornbread dressing in a casserole, mashed potatoes, praline yams as per bakechef but I'll use fresh potatoes instead of canned, buttered baby peas, pineapple-cream cheese-lime gelatin salad, bourbon cranberry sauce, hot potato rolls, relish tray, white wine, sparkling white grape juice for the young guests.

Dessert will be a tray of chocolate peppermint pizzelles, Mexican wedding cake cookies, coconut chewie cookies, frosted cut-out cookies, potato chip cookies and two-tone truffles.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,702
If this awful head cold I have doesn't go away by next week-----I'll be sipping chicken soup.
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Christmas dinner will be attended by my SO, both my daughters, SIL and grandson.

Both daughters will bring appetizers so I don't know what they will be.

I am making an appetizer with bulgar, olive oil, onion and tomato.

Dinner will be a rib roast with gravy with lyonnaise potatoes (a baked potato for SIL who doesn't like onion) and a green vegetable. I have to check to determine which green vegetable is acceptable to all my picky eaters. Rolls and butter for those who want it. Desserts will include paklava, gurabia, chocolate layer cake with chocolate whipped cream frosting and an assortment of cookies. This year I'm adding my favorites, oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip to SO's anise and eggnog cookies, pecan cookie balls and ice cream (because Steven loves ice cream).

I told my SIL I would make a lemon meringue pie. I guess I'd better deliver on that.
I am coming to your house for dinner. Rib roast and lemon pie? I'll eat any veggie except okra and green peppers. Just one small piece of the lemon pie. Diabetic, you know. And I want to sit next to Steven as my dinner companion.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,247
I am going the same route as Andy. We are having TB's parents, brother and nephews, and since we just had turkey with them last weekend I wanted to have something different.

Our butcher had prime rib on BOGO free last week and since we are great customers, he is letting me pick them up on Christmas Eve for the same deal. I am cooking them by the Michael Smith method which is coat with salt, pepper & flour (I am using gluten free), place in a roasting pan, put in the oven at 500 f convection for 30 minutes and then turn oven off and don't open the door for two hours. They come out perfectly rare to med-rare and with a nice burnt crust on the outside - not bitter, just dark and crunchy.

I haven't decided all the sides, but one will be smashed garlic red potatoes. I am thinking of Yorkshire pudding as well. My in-laws are German and have shared much of their culinary heritage with me and I love to share my British heritage with them! I will also make gluten free Yorkshires for TB and the gravy will be just a nice au jus from the roast drippings (if I have to thicken it to make more I will use cornstarch)

Dessert is going to be warm gingerbread cake with homemade eggnog ice cream for the guests and coconut milk ice cream for us. There will also be baking around as well.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,284
Laurie, with that rib roast method, does the roast need to rest after the two hours in the oven with it turned off? If so, how long?
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,247
GG, I forgot a couple of things so here it is:

1. Rest your roast at room temperature for 3 hours before cooking. This is because it is easier to bring to room temp on the counter than in the oven and allows for more even cooking.
2. Position a rack towards the bottom of the oven. Preheat to 500 F (if you have convection use it)
3. Rub surface of roast with salt, pepper and flour.
4. Place in roaster fat side up and bone side down.
5. Put in hot oven for 30 minutes (2 ribs), 45 minutes (3 ribs) or 1 hour (4 ribs). Do not open oven.
6. At the end of the above time, turn oven off and don't open door for 2 hours.
7 No need to tent and rest. Slice to desired thickness with or without bones.

This recipe is paraphrased from "Back to Basics" by Michael Smith)
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
That sounds very similar to Foodwishes' "Chef John's" method. He gives you a forumla for different weight roasts. We probably brought it up last year this time, lol.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,284
Thanks, Laurie. I might just get brave this year and try it. Rib roast is on sale for $6.77/lb. at one of the stores I go to.

Pac, I think we had this discussion last year, too
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,238
Rib roast after the fact. On the day we will be driving over to see family and they want to do finger food. Bahn Mi sliders, maybe SW egg rolls and something sweet.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
With Christmas being less than a week away, I'm really surprised I haven't seen a meal thread yet.

What are your Christmas plans?

Mrs. K and I will be in Las Vegas with the family over the holidays. We were looking for somewhere to have a nice dinner on Christmas. After going back and forth between several places, the final vote was for the Bellagio buffet. I actually wanted more of a sit down dinner, but I have to admit their selection looks outstanding. And as long as someone else is doing the dishes, I'm not that fussy.

Looking over the menu, I am thinking I will need to purchase some larger trousers in advance preparation.
  • Caviar - American, Salmon & Tobiko
  • Split Alaskan King and Snow Crab Legs
  • Horseradish Brandy Cocktail Sauce
  • Scottish Cold Smoked Salmon
  • Smoked Bay Scallops
  • Colorful Heirloom Cauliflower, Lemon Dill Dressing
  • Mediterranean Calamari Salad
  • Tomatoes, Olives, Artichokes, Feta and Salami
  • New Zealand Green Lip Mussels
  • Broccolini, Olives and Blood Orange Vinaigrette
  • Roasted Broccoli and Romanesco Salad
  • Cranberries, Blue Cheese Crumbles
  • Duck Confit Quinoa Salad
  • Citrus Segments, Broccoli Rabe and Arugula
  • Grilled Vegetable Antipasto
  • Grilled Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Fennel, Eggplant
  • Roasted Red Peppers, Marinated Olives
  • Grilled Flank Steak Salad
  • Peppers, Grilled Leeks, Poached Pears, Kale and White Balsamic
  • Truffle Potato Salad
  • Herb Mushrooms, Parmesan, Spinach
  • Seared Scallops, Clams & Grilled Fennel
  • Rustic Puttanesca
  • Mussels, Fennel Scampi
  • Grilled Sea Bass
  • Leeks, Braised Cabbage & Persimmons
  • Salmon (Carving Station)
  • Bourbon Ginger Glaze
  • Fennel, Turnips, Carrots & Potatoes
  • Pho Station
  • Szechuan Beef
  • Shrimp Chow Mein
  • Fried Tofu and Brocollini
  • Coconut Curry Clambake
  • Kaffir Lime, Lemongrass Broth
  • Char Sui Pork Ribs
  • Peking Duck
  • Kim Chi Fried Rice
  • Pasta Butternut Squash Ravioli
  • Creamy Chestnut & Sage Sauce
  • Shaved Brussels Sprouts
  • Fresh Made Gnocchi
  • Spicy Italian Sausage, Rapini
  • Whole Wheat Penne
  • Zucchini, Mushroom & Peppers
  • Grilled Chicken, White Beech Mushrooms & Pancetta
  • Mac-N-Cheese with Tillamook Cheddar
  • Rigatoni Pasta
  • Blue Cheese Béchamel, Grilled Chicken, Sun Dried Tomato, Arugula
  • Rosemary Lamb Chops
  • Artichoke, Fennel, Onion, Red Bell Pepper & Persimmions Hash
  • Whole Roasted Free Range Tom Turkey
  • Giblet Gravy, Cranberry Chutney
  • Roasted Goose with Citrus Marmalade
  • Beef Wellington with Béarnaise Sauce
  • Baked Ham with Honey, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon Glaze
  • Herb Crusted Prime Rib with Horseradish Cream
  • Roasted Kobe Top Round with Brown Sugar, Onion, Paprika Rub
  • Curried Ginger Baby Carrots
  • Root Vegetable Hash with Diced Celery Root, Fennel, Potatoes, Butternut Squash
  • Winter Greens with Pancetta and Caramelized Onions
  • White Bean Cassoulet
  • Wild Rice with Smoked Sausage
  • Dried Cranberry, Roasted Chestnut, Scallions
  • Traditional Bread Stuffing
  • Barley and Kale
  • Mushrooms, Sage, Thyme, Pomegranate Seeds
  • Truffle Potato Gratin
  • Pumpkin Orzo
  • White Chocolate-Mint Mousse Dome
  • Salted Caramel Mousse Tartlet
  • Eggnog Panna Cotta w/Chai Tea Gelee
  • Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake
  • Decorated Christmas Cookies
Ooo, can you smuggle some Salted Caramel Mousse Tartlet out for me.

With a menu like that the most picky eater should be satisfied!
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Laurie, with that rib roast method, does the roast need to rest after the two hours in the oven with it turned off? If so, how long?
Roast meat should always rest after cooking but I wouldn't leave it in the turned off oven as there will be too much residual heat in there. Put it on the side covered with a tent of foil.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 65
Going to the in-laws, sure to be a good time. Tradition is prime rib, which is what is planned again. I hate to say it, but, ugh. Meat isn't done until it all has the same brown to grey color. The one year my wife and father in law teamed up was spectacular. FIL found a beautiful prime rib, which my wife followed up with a perfect preparation. If my wife doesn't make the prime rib I only sample, too many disappointments. The bride will be taking her thermometer along to try and avoid an overcooking, fingers are crossed. We'll be bringing rolls and baklava, my bride has been volunteering my efforts with reckless abandon.
bbobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
I won't be doing anything.

I'm going to my Aunt's from Christmas Eve to Boxing Day. There'll be Aunt and me and 3 generations of cousins including the newest at 6 months old. One of my cousins provides the meat (he's in the trade) and his brother does the cooking and won't even consider accepting help. So I will be sitting there sipping mimosas and enjoying doing ab-so-lute-ly nothing. I'll be supplying the cranberry sauce which I will have made in advance.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
GG, I forgot a couple of things so here it is:

1. Rest your roast at room temperature for 3 hours before cooking. This is because it is easier to bring to room temp on the counter than in the oven and allows for more even cooking.
2. Position a rack towards the bottom of the oven. Preheat to 500 F (if you have convection use it)
3. Rub surface of roast with salt, pepper and flour.
4. Place in roaster fat side up and bone side down.
5. Put in hot oven for 30 minutes (2 ribs), 45 minutes (3 ribs) or 1 hour (4 ribs). Do not open oven.
6. At the end of the above time, turn oven off and don't open door for 2 hours.
7 No need to tent and rest. Slice to desired thickness with or without bones.

This recipe is paraphrased from "Back to Basics" by Michael Smith)
Would this work with a gas oven which doesn't stay as hot for as long as an electric one after it's turned off?
__________________

Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
christmas

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×