"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-11-2015, 03:23 AM   #1
Master Chef

Christmas Meal Plans ~ 2015

Tis two weeks before Christmas, oh what will you make?
A turkey, a beef roast, or maybe a cake?
You might be traditional, you could be all show,
Just share what your plans are, so we're in the know!
~~~poetry wasn't my strong suit in school~~~

When I talked with our daughter on Tuesday, I asked her what she wanted to do for Christmas dinner. She was non-committal this year. For the past two Christmases, her "boyfriend" has gifted us all with a nice ham. Since he won't be able to join us this year on Christmas, and we're all tired of doing ham that day, we told him we'll work it out on our own. I suggested our old traditional dinner of past Christmases of eye of round roast, potatoes, asparagus, broccoli, sauteed mushrooms with lemon and toasted breadcrumbs, and salads. Her reply? "Whatever, Mom, just so long as we're all together."

We settled on salad (for the greenness of it all) and lasagna with my homemade spaghetti sauce (for the red). I'll make something for dessert - probably apple pie since we like that equally as well as pumpkin, but it will go better with the lasagna. I'll end up making a pumpkin pie, too, before we get out of Dodge.

Have you figured out any or all of your Christmas menu yet? It's only two weeks away from today.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:34 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Most likely it will be prime rib. One side for sure will be mushroom bread pudding. The other sides and appetizers will fall in to place. I usually lean in the direction of seafood for appies. B. sprouts are in first place for a vege, but with the KA Siralizer, who knows.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Prime rib or a ribeye roast with gravy and béarnaise sauce, lyonnaise potatoes (baked for SIL) a couple of veggies to ensure everyone gets something they like.

Desserts will be all the cookies SO baed/is baking, a pie or two from me and a pumpkin roll.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
Head Chef

Rib roast (ordering from the butcher today to pick up fresh on Christmas Eve), and gratin potatoes. My SiL is supplying the veggies and I don't know what she has planned.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Funny you ask CG. DH and I were talking about this last night.
It seems that we will be staying put for Christmas after all, so what to cook/bake?
Here's what we've decided:

Christmas Eve will be our take on the Italian tradition of the Seven Fishes-

1) Something with Anchovies (I was thinking of Trader Joe's mini cheese pizzas topped with the anchovies)
2) Imitaion Krab Cocktails
3) Something with the frozen Cod Fillets we've got int the deep freeze
4) Lomi Lomi Salmon
5) Something with that Smoked Trout from Trader Joe's (maybe on a crostini)
6) Ahi Poke
7) Tako Poke (maybe, that's if I can find the Octopus)
... kind of a 'pick' night...
Not many folks `round here eat fish/seafood, they don't like it...another than a Fish-Fry that is... what do I accept, this is the middle of the desert after all!

Christmas morning I'll make the ATK recipe for Cinnamon Rolls, DELISH!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ATK Cinnamon Rolls.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	23966
[file photo]

For Christmas dinner, we both agreed on Boar's Head Sweet Sliced Ham with their Brown Sugar Glaze, Macaroni and Cheese, Green Beans and Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

I'll also make his new favorite dessert Apple Crostata with ice cream

Isn't it funny how we associate Holidays with food... and he STILL claims to NOT be a foodie...
Old 12-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
Master Chef

We will be spending Christmas day at my older son's house with the rest of the family and we've decided to do four ducks for the feast. Here's a recent picture of the last one I did, and it's a killer good never fail recipe provided the directions are followed exactly. I've done them several times.
The Best Way to Roast a Duck (Hello, Crispy Skin!) | The Hungry Mouse

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Like Thanksgiving, my daughter will be ordering dinner from Boston Market. She ordered a dinner for four, but I was sick so her and her husband had a holiday dinner two days in a row.

For Christmas, I don't care if I am still sick or not. I am going there for the day. She has a great couch I can rest on if need be. And besides, I have to deliver my yearly Christmas Wreath Cake.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:56 PM   #8
Honey Badger

Our usual. Prime Rib with Yorshire pudding.
Veggies on the side. Were not dessert people. If I do anything it will probably be a bundt spice cake.

Keeping it simple.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

It's 70 degrees here today so it's kind of difficult to think about Christmas dinner But, we made prime rib for the first time last year and it was *amazing* so maybe that again. Some kind of potatoes and probably roasted asparagus. The flourless chocolate cake we made last year was pretty darn good, too, and I recently received a free jar of Penzey's cocoa powder
Old 12-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #10
Wine Guy

My wife and I don't have a Christmas celebration per se. That said, I always have the time off from work and we have family members who do, and so we usually end up going to one of their houses for dinner if we are around.

This year we're going to my wife's parents' house. I'm concerned that it may be a little overwhelming for my MIL. She just turned 80 and has had difficulty in recent years coordinating the big meal. In addition, FIL just got out of the hospital on Wednesday, where he had issues with shortness of breath (he's 84). I know that's been stressful for her.

I've put in a call to her to offer assistance. She's been resistant thus far, but I hope she takes me up on it. It's a lot for anyone to take on.

Tags
christmas, turkey