Christmas Pudding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
I'm trying to get ahead of myself this year and I'm intending to make the Christmas Puddings earlier than usual (like in a couple of weeks). I make ten of them for various branches of the family. I took over from my aunt about 10 years ago and she had taken over from my Grandmother and we have all used my great grandmother's recipe.

Now, about suet. I always use Atora beef suet but this year I have been asked to make a vegetarian-friendly pudding. I can buy Atora veggie "suet" but I once used it when I couldn't get any beef suet and the puddings didn't keep. Normally this recipe keeps from one year to the next with no problems and once one got lost at the back of the cupboard and we didn't find it for 5 years - it was delicious! - but the year of the veggie suet they went mouldy in the two months between making them and Christmas and I had to throw them away. They have a lot of dried fruit, rum and Guinness and sugar, etc., so they should keep to the crack of doom.

My question is this - do you think it was because of the veggie "suet" because this has never happened before with the beef suet? Any experience with veggie suet?

Last edited:
It sounds like the veggie suet was the only difference so you'd have to assume it was the culprit. Any chance you could freeze the veggie versions so they would keep?

It sounds like the veggie suet was the only difference so you'd have to assume it was the culprit. Any chance you could freeze the veggie versions so they would keep?
I could but the flavour wouldn't develop. That's the point of making them well in advance so they mature.

I strongly suspected the veggie suet. Perhaps I should write to the manufacturers. Has anyone any experience of making Christmas puddings with butter instead of suet?

I certainly won't be making my Christmas mincemeat with veggie suet.

I could lie to the cousin who wants the veggie pudd but it doesn't seem to be in the spirit of Christmas :santa:

Last edited:
I think I know, but am not sure. Exactly what is Christmas Pudding? :angel:
Sorry.

Dried fruit (Currants, raisins, sultanas, mixed peel), apples, almonds, brown sugar, breadcrumbs, suet, Guinness or other stout, brandy (or rum), flour, a carrot (not essential but sort of traditional), eggs. All mixed together and put into a pudding basin (a small ceramic bowl with a rim at the top- dunno what you call 'em), covered with baking parchment and foil and steamed for several hours. When cooked store in a cool dark place (such as mother's bedroom cupboard:)) and on Christmas day steamed again for a couple of hours. and serve with rum- or brandy-flavoured custard or brandy butter or thick cream with added brandy or rum. Oh and the pudding is brought to table in flames - having had warmed brandy poured over it and set alight. Traditionally it has coins or little lucky charms (wrapped in baking parchment) in it and the person serving it tries to make sure that the children get them.

..........Put like that it sounds totally crazy!!

Ah yes! I remember my first husband telling me about it. It was given to the "help" for their Christmas present on the estate where his father worked. :angel:

Sorry.

Dried fruit (Currants, raisins, sultanas, mixed peel), apples, almonds, brown sugar, breadcrumbs, suet, Guinness or other stout, brandy (or rum), flour, a carrot (not essential but sort of traditional), eggs. All mixed together and put into a pudding basin (a small ceramic bowl with a rim at the top- dunno what you call 'em), covered with baking parchment and foil and steamed for several hours. When cooked store in a cool dark place (such as mother's bedroom cupboard:)) and on Christmas day steamed again for a couple of hours. and serve with rum- or brandy-flavoured custard or brandy butter or thick cream with added brandy or rum. Oh and the pudding is brought to table in flames - having had warmed brandy poured over it and set alight. Traditionally it has coins or little lucky charms (wrapped in baking parchment) in it and the person serving it tries to make sure that the children get them.

..........Put like that it sounds totally crazy!!

I was told that everyone in the house had to give the pudding a stir for good luck in the coming months, nice custom, most likely started by a cook with a tired arm! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I would like to try making an old style steamed pudding.

I have been told that I could use frozen vegetable shortening that has been squeezed through a ricer as a substitute for suet.

Does that sound feasible to you?

I could but the flavour wouldn't develop. That's the point of making them well in advance so they mature...

Of course, I didn't think of that.

You could tell your cousin the truth. When you make the veggie version it doesn't work out.

I'd say the one cousin should be making their own Christmas Pudd if they have dietary issues. Give them the recipe and let them have at changing the tradition.

Last edited:
I'd say the one cousin should be making their own Christmas Pudd if they have dietary issues. Give the the recipe and let them have at changing the tradition.

I agree 100%. If I bring something to a meal, I make my tried and true recipe. If someone doesn't want it, they don't eat it.

I was told that everyone in the house had to give the pudding a stir for good luck in the coming months, nice custom, most likely started by a cook with a tired arm! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I would like to try making an old style steamed pudding.

I have been told that I could use frozen vegetable shortening that has been squeezed through a ricer as a substitute for suet.

Does that sound feasible to you?

And you made a wish as you stirred. Mine eventually came true. Every Christmas I wished for a horse and after many years I got one - mind you, I had to buy it myself :).

Traditionally, Christmas puddings were made on the last Sunday in November, This was called "Stir Up Sunday" because (in the Church of England) the collect for the day went "Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may of thee be plenteously rewarded; ...... Amen." A useful reminder to the cook.

Yes, it would be very like the vegetable suet I bought but it comes down to the lack of keeping which was my problem.

"I would like to try making an old style steamed pudding" Good rib-sticking cold weather food either sweet or savoury!

Last edited:
I love old traditions that go with food. Specially holiday food. It makes it taste better for some reason. :angel:

My grandma called it Suet Pudding and served it with hard sauce. Her recipe calls for suet that is put through the meat grinder three times with the raisins and part of an orange. She added 1 c sweet milk, 1 c brown syrup, 2 c flour, 1 tsp baking soda, a bit of salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cloves, 1/2 tsp allspice and candied fruit and nuts "to suit." I don't know if she baked it/steamed it first and kept it someplace to age or not. I'd have to ask my aunt since her memory hasn't failed, yet. I have a vague memory of steaming it, letting it cool, and wrapping it in a dishtowel soaked with brandy...and putting it away, or maybe that was fruitcake...

My grandma would steam it for 2 hours on Christmas Eve and serve it with either brandied hard sauce or lemon sauce. The lemon sauce was 2 c sugar 4 T butter, creamed well, 2 eggs, and juice of one large lemon. This was cooked until thick. I haven't made it since I lived at home with my parents, many, many moons ago. I don't know that "veggie" suet would work in my grandma's recipe...some recipes don't convert to vegetarian recipes. This might be one of them.

Last edited:
I love old traditions that go with food. Specially holiday food. It makes it taste better for some reason. :angel:
The memories and love associated with the foods probably is what makes them taste so much better. That might explain why some people do like lutefisk at Christmas time...

I have been searching for a simple steamed pudding recipe and came across an idea that is new to me.

Instead of using a traditional pudding mold some people use wide mouth canning jars. They steam the pudding in the jars and then tighten the bands and lids to seal them as they cool.

I am wondering if any of you have used this method and have a TNT recipe for a pudding that uses this method.

I think it would be a great gift idea using 4 ounce or 8 ounce quilted jelly glasses.

Thanks for your help!

Z

I have been searching for a simple steamed pudding recipe and came across an idea that is new to me.

Instead of using a traditional pudding mold some people use wide mouth canning jars. They steam the pudding in the jars and then tighten the bands and lids to seal them as they cool.

I am wondering if any of you have used this method and have a TNT recipe for a pudding that uses this method.

I think it would be a great gift idea using 4 ounce or 8 ounce quilted jelly glasses.

Thanks for your help!

Z

As you can see it didn't come through.

Sounds like a plan. A small checkered swatch of cloth on top and tied with a thin type ribbon. You can attach a message on a small card with a hole punch. :angel:

As you can see it didn't come through.

Sounds like a plan. A small checkered swatch of cloth on top and tied with a thin type ribbon. You can attach a message on a small card with a hole punch. :angel:

Not only did it not come through, it was FORBIDDEN!! That makes it even more intriguing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom