"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 11-22-2006, 08:50 AM   #11
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
Seems as if I remember a similar thread not too long ago.

You're right. I made one a few weeks ago.
And I got yelled at for it, and everyone was directed to other threads made with the same name.

Zzyxk - Short baked goods slideshow! Homemade
Please check it out.
goboenomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:25 AM   #12
Head Chef
I've just started reading Heston Blumenthal's (of Fat Duck fame) book 'In Search of Perfection' which I thought was so appropriate to this topic.

He says that for many of us, perfect food won't be some fancy restaurant food. If we were stuck on an island, our dream dish would be something we grew up with. He cites that the foremost last meal requests of prisoners on death row in Texas were fried eggs, fried bacon, ice cream, chocolate milk, burgers and french fries. Before you leap to ascribing this to penal-colony demographics, he quickly notes that chefs exhibit similar homespun cravings.

Anthony Bourdain in 'A Cook's Tour' talks about the Last Meal Game he plays with other cooks. Braised ribs and cold meatloaf are among the choices, and he points out, 'No one came back with 'the tasting menu at Ducasse'.

Three cheers for Comfort Food!

'Never eat more than you can lift.' - Miss Piggy
Chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:10 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Heston's got a cookery series running on BBC2 at the moment. Sometimes I am open-mouthed at the lengths he goes to in explaining how to prepare the best steak, or the best pizza.

I ate at the Fat Duck a while back. And yes, I did try the snail porridge - I HATED it! But the other food was sensational
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:58 AM   #14
Head Chef
Wow, Ishbel, I have wanted to go to the Fat Duck for ages, I am green with envy! Heston's series has been, er, enlightening, but really...whilst I appreciate the science background to choosing ingredients, all that time for something as simple as chips, for example. THAT is what I expect to pay for rather than do at home! There was a series a couple of years ago where he had a one dish slot, which was much more, excuse the pun, easily digested with things one could actually be bothered to do in a home kitchen.
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:11 AM   #15
Executive Chef
I've found the whole thing quite boring, to be honest! And yet he does a cookery series in the Sunday Times and writes really WELL and makes interesting dishes... Not interminably writing abou the science, although he does mention it... he just COOKS!

The Fat Duck was great - but I have to be honest and say I much prefer Le Manoir. I LOVE Raymond Blanc's style of food.

Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote