Comfort Food.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpiritWolf

Senior Cook
I am just curious as to what people on here, from all over the world, call comfort food. What is YOUR favourite Comfort Food.
Some of my favs. are: Bangers and Mash Tattie with onion gravy.
:Spagg Bol with heaps of garlic
:Any kind of Roast with roast vegies, my fav. is roast pork with apple sauce
and Gravy
:Pea/ham soup and chicken noodle soup,my grandma made a great tomato
soup and my mom made a great pea/ham with real ham bones,YUMM
:Apple and Apricot pie with hot Brandy custard
:A good serve of Pavlova
:And for our hot summers,Cold home made Fruit Salad with jelly/jello and
ice-cream Mmmmmm that is soooo good.

:Another one I forgot about is cold Mango and watermelon eaten outside.
I dont think comfort food has to just be for cold weather, Hot weather needs some comfort as well, or we would all go crazy.
What does everyone else like, please tell me all your favourites.
Talk to u all later, thanks.

Obviously, it depends where you live! We have monthly church meals which I coordinate. Our meal this month is "Comfort/Diner Food". Here are some of the items:

Meatloaf
Mashed Potatoes & gravy
Shepherd's Pie
Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Macaroni & Cheese
Rootbeer Floats
Cheesecake

Creamed Spinach
Onion Rings
Chili Dogs
Fried Chicken

For me, there's nothing much better than soup & grilled cheese sandwiches, altho' macaroni & cheese is right up there - that's why I'm making homemade tomato soup & grilled cheese for the meal.

Corinne

Corinne said:
For me, there's nothing much better than soup & grilled cheese sandwiches, altho' macaroni & cheese is right up there - that's why I'm making homemade tomato soup & grilled cheese for the meal. Corinne

Corinne, you and I think a lot alike. I generally go for the canned soups, though, with my grilled cheese. Mac and cheese is right up there for me, too!

New England boiled dinner made with beef bones
Boiled "gizzards and lizzards" (all of the innards of the chicken, saved up over weeks, then boiled, then noodles and frozen mixed vegetables boiled in the broth).
"Poor Man's Soup" -- Basically beef stew but made with hamburger meat rather than beef cubes, then served over peanut-buttered toast.
Corinne covered most of the bases, though.
Chicken rubbed with sage, garlic salt, and celery salt, then cooked over charcoals, and served with onions that were put in foil with margarine and cooked alongside the chicken.
When you have a cold: Liptons chicken soup; ginger tea

In the summertime, comfort food for me would be a picnic of cold fried chicken, homemade potato salad, deviled eggs. There's also nothing more soothing and comforting than freshly homemade strawberry ice cream. Yum. Yum. Yum.

Mince and tatties
A pot of home-made Scotch broth soup
Sausage and mash with onion gravy
Haggis with neeps n tatties
Traditional roast beef with all the trimmings, including Yorkshire pudding, roasted parsnips and potatoes and lots of fresh vegetables - served with lashings of good gravy and with really hot horseradish sauce on the side.

Puddings: homemade bread and butter pudding
rice pudding

Seems as if I remember a similar thread not too long ago. Comfort food for many is what reminds them of what made them happy or what soothed them as a child.

Most of the food that ends up on such lists tends to be soft and starchy, often bland, and lacking in texture -- mashed potatoes being an all-time favorite.

I think if I were to pick a comfort food meal, it would be a basic (not exotic) meatloaf, buttermilk mashed potatoes, and peas. As a variation, I would choose an Amish chicken dish instead of the meatloaf. It's basically chicken pieces dredged in seasoned flour and baked with cream -- simple but for some reason delectable. If anyone would like the actual recipe, feel free to message me. For dessert, a real tapioca pudding!

Mac-n-cheese
Stew
Pot roast
Homemade soup (for us, beef barley, chicken matzo ball, creamy potato with bacon and cheese)
Anything thick, creamy, cheesy served with starch

suzyQ3 said:
Seems as if I remember a similar thread not too long ago.

You're right. I made one a few weeks ago.
And I got yelled at for it, and everyone was directed to other threads made with the same name.

I've just started reading Heston Blumenthal's (of Fat Duck fame) book 'In Search of Perfection' which I thought was so appropriate to this topic.

He says that for many of us, perfect food won't be some fancy restaurant food. If we were stuck on an island, our dream dish would be something we grew up with. He cites that the foremost last meal requests of prisoners on death row in Texas were fried eggs, fried bacon, ice cream, chocolate milk, burgers and french fries. Before you leap to ascribing this to penal-colony demographics, he quickly notes that chefs exhibit similar homespun cravings.

Anthony Bourdain in 'A Cook's Tour' talks about the Last Meal Game he plays with other cooks. Braised ribs and cold meatloaf are among the choices, and he points out, 'No one came back with 'the tasting menu at Ducasse'.

Three cheers for Comfort Food!

Heston's got a cookery series running on BBC2 at the moment. Sometimes I am open-mouthed at the lengths he goes to in explaining how to prepare the best steak, or the best pizza.

I ate at the Fat Duck a while back. And yes, I did try the snail porridge - I HATED it!:ROFLMAO: But the other food was sensational :)

Wow, Ishbel, I have wanted to go to the Fat Duck for ages, I am green with envy! Heston's series has been, er, enlightening, but really...whilst I appreciate the science background to choosing ingredients, all that time for something as simple as chips, for example. THAT is what I expect to pay for rather than do at home! There was a series a couple of years ago where he had a one dish slot, which was much more, excuse the pun, easily digested with things one could actually be bothered to do in a home kitchen.

I've found the whole thing quite boring, to be honest! And yet he does a cookery series in the Sunday Times and writes really WELL and makes interesting dishes... Not interminably writing abou the science, although he does mention it... he just COOKS!

The Fat Duck was great - but I have to be honest and say I much prefer Le Manoir. I LOVE Raymond Blanc's style of food. :)

Back
Top Bottom