Community Holiday Program

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robyn Daniels

Assistant Cook
I'm preparing for my Community's Holiday Program. I'm very passionate about helping people in my community therefore I've decided to join a None Profitable Organization called Hope Development Projects. Hope Development Projects is an organisation that concentrates on developing the youth,women as well as children from my community by having seminars,crime prevention programs,motivational speakers etc. When we have these programs we need to make sure that people are fed. I believe that we can not think and concentrate on the message that these special speakers are trying to pass on to us when our stomachs are empty. What do i cook for these people attending these seminars?

I'm preparing for my Community's Holiday Program. I'm very passionate about helping people in my community therefore I've decided to join a None Profitable Organization called Hope Development Projects. Hope Development Projects is an organisation that concentrates on developing the youth,women as well as children from my community by having seminars,crime prevention programs,motivational speakers etc. When we have these programs we need to make sure that people are fed. I believe that we can not think and concentrate on the message that these special speakers are trying to pass on to us when our stomachs are empty. What do i cook for these people attending these seminars?
I'd say something simple, tasty and well prepared and presented - but you already know that so it's not much help.

Perhaps if we knew the time of year and/or the weather - hot or cold? Are you looking at a sit down meal with knife and fork or were you thinking more soup and sandwiches? Obviously you don't want to feed them too well or they'll all be snoring through the afternoon sessions ;).

Is there a particular ethnic or age demograph? A lot of people can't do hot curries or take burn-off-the-roof-of-your-mouth chilli and you'll probably have a number of vegetarians (bearing in mind that practising Jews, Muslims, Hindus and other ethnic and religious groups often prefer to eat vegetarian meals away from home rather than get tangled up in trying to sort the wood from the trees at the buffet table).

If it's winter, an everything-in-it pot of stew and a veg casserole might fit the bill. Served in dishes rather than plates if they are eating buffet-style and standing around, rather than sitting at table. It would be easy to cook, to transport to the venue if you can't cook it there, easy to keep hot if the morning session drags on and there's no messing about with potatoes and side dishes. Cake is an easy dessert as you don't need cutlery and it doesn't have to be kept hot or cold.

Hope that helps a bit.

Ask someone who's already had prior experience what they have done previously. What was served.

Usually it's just a pot of coffee, hot chocolate and a plate of cookies.
Short and sweet. They listen. Take it or leave it the advice that was given and go home.

You shouldn't have to be expected to feed everyone.They might forget what the program is truly about, just show up to eat. Are you getting paid to feed them?

I think that's a great idea.

As Mad Cook wrote, it would help if we knew about the weather and the people.

I don't think this can be easily compared with something similar in North America or Europe.

I looked up Cape Town, "More than 36 percent of city households earn less than R3 500 a month". That's less than U$ 350/month!

Yes thats cape town for you...although here any meal is welcomed ,may it be dry bread or cooked food. I believe if u give someone a meal it should be a decent meal not some bits an pieces scrapped together.

What do you feel about a big bowl of chilli con carne? Always satisfying with rice or bread and a great sharing dish. It doesn't have to be too hot, just 'spicy' enough and you can make an excellent vegetarian version using minced aubergine instead of meat. Once again, a sharing dish that is inclusive to all by being two versions of the same dish.
An accompanying salsa of tomatoes, onions, avocado and lime juice with either chopped coriander or parsley makes it even more special. It is also economical when feeding a larger group of people.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom