"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 08-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
MY Goodness! You've all certainly given me a lot of fodder to feed on! Thank you all. I'm checking them all out.

I've filed your Nappa Cabbage Slaw PF, sounds scrumptious. Question... the Wasabi powder (in a tiny can) that I have, seems to be really weak and I just never use it anymore. I prefer to use a paste in a tube that gives a good punch. Did I just get a bad can? or is the powder always weak compared to paste?

I also can't open the link for Dragon Lady - it just comes up blank. But I went to her blog.. still haven't found the noodle recipe you seem to be talking about. Became mesmerized for almost 35 min. Want to try that beef soup, just for myself.

I'll have to ask about the big pot heating. I suppose if I reserve a burner from her ahead of time as those chili ideas also sound good.

Or stick with finger foods that don't require a spoon or fork. I've made plenty of salads on a stick. My grandkids love to help me make those - they are so proud to say they made them when everybody oohhs and aahhs!

as I said earlier - I will probably change my mind everyday and then hit the panic button the day before!
Use the paste wasabi, I have found my can is weak, too.

Dragon Lady Noodles, look for Monday, April 19th 2010, Dragon Lady Kitchen blog

Old 08-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #12
Master Chef

Texas Caviar (black eyed pea salad)

Old 08-10-2016, 11:03 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Try this Armenian recipe for bulgar salad. Serve it with wedges of pita.

https://food52.com/recipes/33852-bulgur-salad-itch
Old 08-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
How about chilled Dragon Lady Sesame Noodles with extra sauce and fresh chopped veggies.
I was unable to open this from your site. So I went to it directly. Perhaps this will help others who may be having the same problem.

Dragon Lady Kitchen blog: SESAME NOODLES

Old 08-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #15
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

My go to is a riff on a caprese salad. Sliced tomatoes interlaced with sliced baby mozzarella and basil leaves - drizzled with balsamic. Make a big beautiful platter with end of the summer tomatoes.

here's a nice article about how to make: Caprese Salad | The Pioneer Woman

Old 08-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #16
Head Chef

Tarnation Janet!!!! yuh gots me droolin' !! She (pioneer woman) has excellent recipes, especially for crowds.

I have an obsessive/compulsive condition called "make everything and all of it". So when I do, it goes to the point where everything is almost a disaster because I take on too much. I'm 71 and still have not learned to delegate nor (more importantly) to simplify!

Think I better start begging you guys to stop with the suggestions!

OK, so now the new plan is to make a salad dish to say, maybe serve 8. Preferably make ahead as in the day before. Then a side dish, serve 8, also the day before. Last but not least a dessert.... hmmm texas....
Old 08-10-2016, 08:54 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I was in a similar situation not long ago and I decided on seasonal fruit kabobs on those long toothpicks; no dipping sauce though, ya know that whole double dipping business, ACK!
To avoid double dipping, you can drizzle the kabobs with dressing.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #18
Head Chef

GG I thought the very same thing.

But then again, as per Anne Burelle (sp?) "get a life folks, it happens!" when she was questioned about double dipping while she was cooking...
Old 08-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
GG I thought the very same thing.

But then again, as per Anne Burelle (sp?) "get a life folks, it happens!" when she was questioned about double dipping while she was cooking...
Heh. Yeah, it doesn't bother me much, either. Nothing is sterile but an operating room Just thought I'd mention it for K'girl.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:09 PM   #20
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Heh. Yeah, it doesn't bother me much, either. Nothing is sterile but an operating room Just thought I'd mention it for K'girl.
Yeah, just can't do any sort of dips, sauces, drizzles, dunks, fountains and so on that involve more than my closest friends and family.
You are right that "nothing is sterile but an operating room", I just don't care to take that chance, ya know norovirus and the like.
And so, for myself, I would not suggest to others to serve to a large gathering of humankind, dippable foods, because, well, we're all human after all.

Tags
corn, roast