"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 08-11-2016, 07:42 AM   #31
Head Chef

tenspeed
I was thinking this looks so good I would give it a try right away, but I would still probably be eating it in a month...

Old 08-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I'm going to have to give this a shot.

You mentioned that it was adapted from a sauce. What is different in the sauce? I'll guess that it was thicker, so with less lemon juice, vinegar, and oil.
The sauce had 6 tablespoons of wasabi paste...too much for me. I added in the vinegar and lemon juice for acid and these days I no longer use canola oil.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Have you ever seen folks that need to have more of that "Oh my, that's tasty, I've got to try and dip my (fill in the dipper blank ________ ) and get more of that!"
As I said, we're all human and can be, well, you know ...
So I simply steer clear of all those situations, that's all; that's my story and I'm stickin' to it
I guess I haven't paid that much attention to what other people are doing.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
To be blunt, I won't be going to a party where possible double dipping (swapping spit) with dozens of strangers is on the menu.
I'm curious - do you always know in advance what will be on the menu at a party? I'm going to a neighborhood party tomorrow night. It's a potluck and I have no idea what everyone else will be bringing.

Because of my health issues and the demands of my job before I had to resign, I haven't been as involved with the neighborhood as I used to be, but I've been to dozens of parties here, as well as at work, and never worried about the food. I'm just not much of a worrier
Old 08-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

I was looking at the OP again - I have a recipe for Israeli couscous with grilled veggies and herb vinaigrette that I've taken to picnics and other potlucks. People love it. Let me know if you would like the recipe. It's great made in advance and can be served cold or room temperature.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm curious - do you always know in advance what will be on the menu at a party? I'm going to a neighborhood party tomorrow night. It's a potluck and I have no idea what everyone else will be bringing.

Because of my health issues and the demands of my job before I had to resign, I haven't been as involved with the neighborhood as I used to be, but I've been to dozens of parties here, as well as at work, and never worried about the food. I'm just not much of a worrier
I admit to being really selective with what I'll eat at a potluck, especially if I don't know the people. Nobody seems to notice or care what I don't eat and I don't make a big deal about it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The sauce had 6 tablespoons of wasabi paste...too much for me. I added in the vinegar and lemon juice for acid and these days I no longer use canola oil.
Thanks. I think I'll give this a try with chicken, and if we like it, grilled tuna. I'd rather experiment with the cheap stuff!
Old 08-11-2016, 04:23 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post

Question... the Wasabi powder (in a tiny can) that I have, seems to be really weak and I just never use it anymore. I prefer to use a paste in a tube that gives a good punch. Did I just get a bad can? or is the powder always weak compared to paste?
Wasabi powder, made from actual wasabi, I haven't found that available.
"Wasabi powder", when you read the ingredient list, is made from mustard seed and horseradish and not actual submerged stem of the wasabi (the stem and not the root).
That may account for the difference in taste between the powder and the paste.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #39
Head Chef

Well, just thought I'd give an update as to what I finally did in the end. Turns out I sort of had to go along with whatever I happened to find in the cupboard. I must have changed my mind ... arghh.. don't know how many times but then - couldn't get to the store when I needed to so...

Bean Salad with the kitchen sink thrown in.

Garbanzo, black, red, white beans. Then some frozen lima beans and corn. Roasted a red pepper, chopped some scallions, parsley and basil. Tossed it all together with vinaigrette. Oil, lemon, garlic, mustard, sugar, etc. Done. There may have even been a few other things but don't remember now.

I made it the Fri before and took it over that evening. I had an emergency trip with a friend first thing in the morning and wasn't going to have time to take it then. It is probably just as well because I was "taste testing" frequently from the count of the spoons in the sink. I was afraid there would be none left. I never made it to the party - I was exhausted by the time I got home mid-afternoon but from the sounds coming across the fields they were having a great time!

Thanks all for your suggestions... I have a lot of new recipes to still try!
Old 09-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
It is probably just as well because I was "taste testing" frequently from the count of the spoons in the sink.
The number of spoons in your sink is a good sign you're not the cook I worry about at a potluck!
I bet it was delicious!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corn, roast