"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I'm so thankful that no one was here for lunch because it wasn't very good. In fact, the turkey goes out with the trash, today. I've smoked many a bird on my cast iron smoker with wonderful success, but this bird was tough. I did it the same as always, it just didn't happen. We were only cooking for ourselves so we only had fresh green beans and dressing with the bird. Even the frozen dutch apple pie wasn't good. An average taste with bland apples. Dinner was much better. Blue Bell chocolate shake with my date loaf cake.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #12
Executive Chef

the turkey was perfection (herbed butter rubbed under the skin, convection roasted pastured bird.) My stuffing (not in the bird) was also very fine. Jardinierre vegetables awesome, perfect gravy :) and did a Pennsylvania fave creamed mushrooms. mashed potatoes with rutabaga and roasted sweets as well. Pumpkin pie (sis's specialty) a yum as always. My partner's table was spectacular and a friend brought his own roasted coffee-that was a real cuppa joe!

Old 11-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
Senior Cook

For the two of us I potroasted beef shortrib meat that has no bones and that I buy at Costco. I added some marsala wine to the dried onion soup and cream of mushroom soup that I ofter use and it was absolutely wonderful as was the gravy. We also had regular mashed potates with potato skin included, and a green salad. Pumpkin pie will happen today.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #14
Head Chef

My meal turned out great, except the Legendary Lion House Rolls. They were just good!! I think I counted wrong adding the flour, one cup short. When I tested this recipe a couple of weeks ago they were awesome! This recipe is a keeper.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

We ate a little later (30-45 minutes) than expected because the turkey took longer to cook than anticipated.

SO's comment was that every year the meal is great but one thing turns out less than great. This year everything turned out great.

Who am I to argue.

Well, I'm me, so I argue. The stuffing was a little dry and we had to doctor it with a little added broth. I made a pecan pie with a ground pecan crust and the crust crumbles off if you look at it cross-eyed.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #16
Master Chef

Our dinner for 10 turned out very well for the most part. The turkey was a little overcooked, but oh well. The half Farmer John ham was just delicious and juicy. I had it covered with foil for the entire time in the oven, and I'll remember doing that for the next time. The scalloped pineapple went with it so well! In fact, all the sides were delicious. We had store bought pies (gasp) from Marie Callendars. I don't bake.
Husband and I were about dead when we hit the sack last night. I don't know what I'd do anymore without his help. I just don't have the stamina I used to have, for all the hours of cleaning, cooking, and cleaning up. Phew!! Getting older ain't for sissies.

As an aside, I'm a little miffed and hurt, that both my daughters in law, and two teenage grand daughters sat on their pretty little rears, and never lifted a finger to help in any way. Different generation I guess.....my mom would have had my hide. Again, I'm so grateful for the help of my wonderful husband.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle
Getting older ain't for sissies.
Was one of my Mother's favorite quotes ~~~ Tis true!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #18
Master Chef

Actually, it didn't matter to me the quality of the meal served. If something was not right I certainly would have made note of it, but that was not the case.
In fact, since we had so much fun with a bunch of friends and relatives, the overall quality of food was secondary. I actually enjoyed all the pre-meal BS'ing with people over some wine and appetizers more so than sitting at the main table.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #19
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

We had a lovely meal for friends and family. It snowed earlier in the week and again yesterday and so everything was white and shimmery. About dinner:

Dinner was overall quite good. I got a lot of stuff done ahead and delegated some items (relish tray, pumpkin pie and wine selection) to guests.

Notable standouts included packet cooked on grill veggies (super will do again) and the last minute discovery that my local super market was baking butterflake rolls fresh on thanksgiving morning! Woohoo... no baking for me :)

Appetizers were eliminated this year from the menu and instead guests made popcorn in the fireplace which they found fun and kept everyone fairly hungry for dinner.

Not so good: gluten free lemon tart with pecan crust. The crust recipe was too oily and fell apart. The tart ended up tasting like naked lemon meringue pie with bad crust. Fail.

Second fail: I had a well meaning guest bring a container of macaroni salad (the kind you find in the cooler at a grocery store) and sincerely offer it as a contribution for the meal. So..... I served up some of it in a small crystal dish with parsley on top along with the meal. It turned out that one picky kid didn't like mashed potatoes or turkey dressing but that macaroni/mayo bowl resonated with him. Go figure.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I prepared 2 Dinners. One on Thursday and another today.
I reckon it must have gone well...I heard no complaints.
Turkeys came out great, dressing was better this year, I came up with two variations of cranberry relish, butter beans, collard greens, mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuits, coconut pineapple pie ( I been tweaking this recipe for a few years....good but still not there), pumpkin pie and Mrs Hoot's wonderful pineapple upside down cake.
Timing was a little off as my son had to rush so he could get to work on time.
I misunderstood him, but it worked out ok and with a plate to go.