"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #31
Master Chef

I'm late chiming in on this, but I've been preparing turkey Thanksgivings for 30+ years. Over the years I stopped doing sides that I found myself with so much leftover that I threw them away. Since it is now friends, and not family, I ditched the dishes my sibs loved, had to have, and then I'd find myself with tons left over. Since it is now friends, I simply tell them what I'm making, and ask them to contribute what is traditional for them .... and take home the leftovers. I hate throwing away food. So this year was a success, my only mistake was sticking to buying a 20-lb turkey, and I just don't need that much any more. The meat can become stringy when frozen. Next year I'll aim at maybe 15? I've never roasted a smaller turkey! I just used to always have a gadzillion people to feed, and a big freezer, and family to feed turkey leftovers. So I need to downsize the bird!

Old 12-31-2010, 12:58 AM   #32
Master Chef

Introduced my SIL to mashed rutabegas with butter and brown sugar mashed in. He loved the dish. And my wonderful grandaughter, well it the rutabegas were her favorite food for the next three days. The smashed spuds were creamy and smooth. The dressing was from a recipe that we got here on DC and it was great. I finally made a successful batch of sugar-free egg nog, thick and creamy, with that perfect egg nog flavor. Desert was flawless as well. But it wasn't a perfect meal for we overcooked the turkey just a little. It wasn't dry, but not up to my usual standards. The others said it was great, but you know, when you've made it just right before, anything less lets you down. And everybody loves my mother's recipe for what she called Sea Breeze Salad, made with lime jello, sour cream, pineapple, and walnuts, all blended together and then chilled to set. Yum!

Lastly, I took the carcass and took it apart to make turkey broth. My SIL said, "My mother always through that away." I said; "I make soup from it." He was skeptical, especially when I put pearl barley in it. He stated that he didn't like barley. When the soup was done, he tried some and exclaimed; "My mother never made a soup as good as this." I told him to keep that to himself. My daughter laughed.

Lastly, we invited some young men from our church to the supper. One of them was boasting about how good he was at the game - hot hands - where you slap your opponents hands until you miss. He found out that boasting is a mistake. I may not be able to run fast anymore, but don't try me at hot-hands or bloody knuckles. My nephew found that out at Christmas as well. He should have known better to challenge me and then say; "Now I have to warn you. I don't hit like a girl." He regretted that statement. Moohuahahahaha.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote