"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Critique Your Thanksgiving Meal.

the turkey was wonderful. ham was great . all the sides were good. should have made more mushroom gratin. my cheese cake was a bit of a disappointment. not nearly as pumpkin tasting as my old recipe. the crust of sugar cookie dough did not slice well. think the pan should have been greased. did not do so as cookies from same dough say ungreased. all in all though it was lovely. some one brought a muffin shaped mini apple pie dessert. loved it. my granddaughter had lots of clever tidbits. turkey tail from olives etc. she is a clever girl. or young women i should say.

how was your meal?

Old 11-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We were worried about attempting to "chew" the turkey, so I roasted it last night and took off enough meat for our meal today. I put it in the food processor and ground it fairly fine and then mixed it into the stuffing as I was making it. Cooked it up as a casserole. I added extra broth to the stuffing to moisten it well.

It had just the right taste and texture so we felt like we had a turkey dinner and were not eating baby food. I roux-ined the gravy and it was wonderful. Stirred sour cream into the smashed potatoes and they were very good, too. Pumpkin pie turned out great!

Blackberry Wine with the meal.

For after-afters ~~ We had coffee with Andes mints stirred in and whipped cream on top.

I'm happy! Now cooking turkey bones down for turkey noodle soup.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
Honey Badger

Having my oven go out on me last night while the pies were cooking. The timing of that happening wasn't a good one.

I was so disgusted after a long day that I tossed in my towel and told him " Just toss them" He didn't, but did take them out on a cookie sheet and used my Big Daddy grill in indirect heat and stayed up until 5am in freezing temps to cook them. They turned out beautifully!!!

Ended up using my roaster even for the turkey. Missed the crispy skin, but I'm sure my cardiologist would be proud of me for not eating it.

Everything else was cooked in crocks or stove top. All in all it was a very memorable Thanksgiving to say the least. Food was excellent :) I'm sure in a few days I'll be thinking of how I worked out a solution to the problem. laughing at my improvisations. Just not right this minute

Happy Thanksgiving!

Munky.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Having my oven go out on me last night while the pies were cooking. The timing of that happening wasn't a good one.

I was so disgusted after a long day that I tossed in my towel and told him " Just toss them" He didn't, but did take them out on a cookie sheet and used my Big Daddy grill in indirect heat and stayed up until 5am in freezing temps to cook them. They turned out beautifully!!!

Ended up using my roaster even for the turkey. Missed the crispy skin, but I'm sure my cardiologist would be proud of me for not eating it.

Everything else was cooked in crocks or stove top. All in all it was a very memorable Thanksgiving to say the least. Food was excellent :) I'm sure in a few days I'll be thinking of how I worked out a solution to the problem. laughing at my improvisations. Just not right this minute

Happy Thanksgiving!

Munky.
In ten years you may even be fond of the memory. Write it down, you will have a happy memory in the years to come of the Holiday Meal that almost wasn't!
Old 11-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
In ten years you may even be fond of the memory. Write it down, you will have a happy memory in the years to come of the Holiday Meal that almost wasn't!
Yes, your right. I laugh ( as everyone else does ) when I tell them the story of my very first solo attempt of a Thanksgiving Dinner. I had my mother laughing so hard she cried! Trust me I was sorry then, but not now that I was kicked out of Home Ec Class.

My first one was a classic! Laughing now thinking about it.
But I made it with pride.. Thankful now that I do know that nobody died from that dinner!

Munky.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

MY diner turned out great- but the star of the show was the new type of pumpkin pie/cheesecake thing I made. 4 people.. whole pie GONE! Gotta say, i am making this one again, it was super easy, even with w "cheesecake" bottom layer. Here is the description & link:
"This is a very rich and delicious version of the pumpkin pie. It has a cheesecake layer, a pumpkin custard layer, and is topped with caramelized pecans. My aunt gave this recipe to me years ago, and I always get asked for the recipe."

Paradise Pumpkin Pie II Recipe - Allrecipes.com
angelfadedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:09 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post

Happy Thanksgiving!

Munky.
Well done you and Scott of the pietartics
Old 11-26-2010, 01:34 AM   #8
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Well done you and Scott of the pietartics
Thank you Bolas ;)

Hubby is quite proud of himself. As well he should be. I know it was cold outside. Temps dropped to 30 degrees here. Woke up to one frosty morning. Baking on a propane grill is work. I did appreciate his help.
He's asked me to thank you for him. So from my Boss to you " Thank You!"

Munky.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:54 AM   #9
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Overall it came out pretty well. I left the brussel sprouts in the oven a bit too long and they got slighlty over-browned, but still tasted good (just not pleasing to look at). The pumpkin pie made with fresh pumpkin came out great. It had a different texture then when I used the canned stuff, not as custard like.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I put my sprouts on yesterday for Christmas, its a tradition over here.