Critique Your Thanksgiving Meal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babetoo

Chef Extraordinaire
the turkey was wonderful. ham was great . all the sides were good. should have made more mushroom gratin. my cheese cake was a bit of a disappointment. not nearly as pumpkin tasting as my old recipe. the crust of sugar cookie dough did not slice well. think the pan should have been greased. did not do so as cookies from same dough say ungreased. all in all though it was lovely. some one brought a muffin shaped mini apple pie dessert. loved it. my granddaughter had lots of clever tidbits. turkey tail from olives etc. she is a clever girl. or young women i should say.

how was your meal? :ohmy::ohmy:

We were worried about attempting to "chew" the turkey, so I roasted it last night and took off enough meat for our meal today. I put it in the food processor and ground it fairly fine and then mixed it into the stuffing as I was making it. Cooked it up as a casserole. I added extra broth to the stuffing to moisten it well.

It had just the right taste and texture so we felt like we had a turkey dinner and were not eating baby food. I roux-ined the gravy and it was wonderful. Stirred sour cream into the smashed potatoes and they were very good, too. Pumpkin pie turned out great!

Blackberry Wine with the meal.

For after-afters ~~ We had coffee with Andes mints stirred in and whipped cream on top.

I'm happy! Now cooking turkey bones down for turkey noodle soup.:chef:

Last edited:
Having my oven go out on me last night while the pies were cooking. The timing of that happening wasn't a good one.

I was so disgusted after a long day that I tossed in my towel and told him " Just toss them" He didn't, but did take them out on a cookie sheet and used my Big Daddy grill in indirect heat and stayed up until 5am in freezing temps to cook them. They turned out beautifully!!!

Ended up using my roaster even for the turkey. Missed the crispy skin, but I'm sure my cardiologist would be proud of me for not eating it.

Everything else was cooked in crocks or stove top. All in all it was a very memorable Thanksgiving to say the least. Food was excellent :) I'm sure in a few days I'll be thinking of how I worked out a solution to the problem. laughing at my improvisations. Just not right this minute :shock:

Happy Thanksgiving! ;)

Munky.

Having my oven go out on me last night while the pies were cooking. The timing of that happening wasn't a good one.

I was so disgusted after a long day that I tossed in my towel and told him " Just toss them" He didn't, but did take them out on a cookie sheet and used my Big Daddy grill in indirect heat and stayed up until 5am in freezing temps to cook them. They turned out beautifully!!!

Ended up using my roaster even for the turkey. Missed the crispy skin, but I'm sure my cardiologist would be proud of me for not eating it.

Everything else was cooked in crocks or stove top. All in all it was a very memorable Thanksgiving to say the least. Food was excellent :) I'm sure in a few days I'll be thinking of how I worked out a solution to the problem. laughing at my improvisations. Just not right this minute :shock:

Happy Thanksgiving! ;)

Munky.

In ten years you may even be fond of the memory. Write it down, you will have a happy memory in the years to come of the Holiday Meal that almost wasn't! :)

In ten years you may even be fond of the memory. Write it down, you will have a happy memory in the years to come of the Holiday Meal that almost wasn't! :)

Yes, your right. I laugh ( as everyone else does ) when I tell them the story of my very first solo attempt of a Thanksgiving Dinner. I had my mother laughing so hard she cried! Trust me I was sorry then, but not now that I was kicked out of Home Ec Class.

My first one was a classic! Laughing now thinking about it. :ROFLMAO:
But I made it with pride.. Thankful now that I do know that nobody died from that dinner! :LOL:

Munky.

MY diner turned out great- but the star of the show was the new type of pumpkin pie/cheesecake thing I made. 4 people.. whole pie GONE! Gotta say, i am making this one again, it was super easy, even with w "cheesecake" bottom layer. Here is the description & link:
"This is a very rich and delicious version of the pumpkin pie. It has a cheesecake layer, a pumpkin custard layer, and is topped with caramelized pecans. My aunt gave this recipe to me years ago, and I always get asked for the recipe."

Paradise Pumpkin Pie II Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Happy Thanksgiving! ;)

Munky.
Well done you and Scott of the pietartics:)

Well done you and Scott of the pietartics:)

Thank you Bolas ;)

Hubby is quite proud of himself. As well he should be. I know it was cold outside. Temps dropped to 30 degrees here. Woke up to one frosty morning. Baking on a propane grill is work. I did appreciate his help.
He's asked me to thank you for him. So from my Boss to you " Thank You!"

Munky.

Overall it came out pretty well. I left the brussel sprouts in the oven a bit too long and they got slighlty over-browned, but still tasted good (just not pleasing to look at). The pumpkin pie made with fresh pumpkin came out great. It had a different texture then when I used the canned stuff, not as custard like.

I'm so thankful that no one was here for lunch because it wasn't very good. In fact, the turkey goes out with the trash, today. I've smoked many a bird on my cast iron smoker with wonderful success, but this bird was tough. I did it the same as always, it just didn't happen. We were only cooking for ourselves so we only had fresh green beans and dressing with the bird. Even the frozen dutch apple pie wasn't good. An average taste with bland apples. Dinner was much better. Blue Bell chocolate shake with my date loaf cake.

the turkey was perfection (herbed butter rubbed under the skin, convection roasted pastured bird.) My stuffing (not in the bird) was also very fine. Jardinierre vegetables awesome, perfect gravy :) and did a Pennsylvania fave creamed mushrooms. mashed potatoes with rutabaga and roasted sweets as well. Pumpkin pie (sis's specialty) a yum as always. My partner's table was spectacular and a friend brought his own roasted coffee-that was a real cuppa joe!

For the two of us I potroasted beef shortrib meat that has no bones and that I buy at Costco. I added some marsala wine to the dried onion soup and cream of mushroom soup that I ofter use and it was absolutely wonderful as was the gravy. We also had regular mashed potates with potato skin included, and a green salad. Pumpkin pie will happen today.

My meal turned out great, except the Legendary Lion House Rolls. They were just good!! I think I counted wrong adding the flour, one cup short. When I tested this recipe a couple of weeks ago they were awesome! This recipe is a keeper.

We ate a little later (30-45 minutes) than expected because the turkey took longer to cook than anticipated.

SO's comment was that every year the meal is great but one thing turns out less than great. This year everything turned out great.

Who am I to argue.

Well, I'm me, so I argue. The stuffing was a little dry and we had to doctor it with a little added broth. I made a pecan pie with a ground pecan crust and the crust crumbles off if you look at it cross-eyed.

Our dinner for 10 turned out very well for the most part. The turkey was a little overcooked, but oh well. The half Farmer John ham was just delicious and juicy. I had it covered with foil for the entire time in the oven, and I'll remember doing that for the next time. The scalloped pineapple went with it so well! In fact, all the sides were delicious. We had store bought pies (gasp) from Marie Callendars. I don't bake.:wacko:
Husband and I were about dead when we hit the sack last night. I don't know what I'd do anymore without his help. I just don't have the stamina I used to have, for all the hours of cleaning, cooking, and cleaning up. Phew!!:ohmy: Getting older ain't for sissies.

As an aside, I'm a little miffed and hurt, that both my daughters in law, and two teenage grand daughters sat on their pretty little rears, and never lifted a finger to help in any way. Different generation I guess.....my mom would have had my hide. Again, I'm so grateful for the help of my wonderful husband.

Actually, it didn't matter to me the quality of the meal served. If something was not right I certainly would have made note of it, but that was not the case.
In fact, since we had so much fun with a bunch of friends and relatives, the overall quality of food was secondary. I actually enjoyed all the pre-meal BS'ing with people over some wine and appetizers more so than sitting at the main table.

We had a lovely meal for friends and family. It snowed earlier in the week and again yesterday and so everything was white and shimmery. About dinner:

Dinner was overall quite good. I got a lot of stuff done ahead and delegated some items (relish tray, pumpkin pie and wine selection) to guests.

Notable standouts included packet cooked on grill veggies (super will do again) and the last minute discovery that my local super market was baking butterflake rolls fresh on thanksgiving morning! Woohoo... no baking for me :)

Appetizers were eliminated this year from the menu and instead guests made popcorn in the fireplace which they found fun and kept everyone fairly hungry for dinner.

Not so good: gluten free lemon tart with pecan crust. The crust recipe was too oily and fell apart. The tart ended up tasting like naked lemon meringue pie with bad crust. Fail.

Second fail: I had a well meaning guest bring a container of macaroni salad (the kind you find in the cooler at a grocery store) and sincerely offer it as a contribution for the meal. So..... I served up some of it in a small crystal dish with parsley on top along with the meal. It turned out that one picky kid didn't like mashed potatoes or turkey dressing but that macaroni/mayo bowl resonated with him. Go figure.

I prepared 2 Dinners. One on Thursday and another today.
I reckon it must have gone well...I heard no complaints.
Turkeys came out great, dressing was better this year, I came up with two variations of cranberry relish, butter beans, collard greens, mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuits, coconut pineapple pie ( I been tweaking this recipe for a few years....good but still not there), pumpkin pie and Mrs Hoot's wonderful pineapple upside down cake.
Timing was a little off as my son had to rush so he could get to work on time.
I misunderstood him, but it worked out ok and with a plate to go.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom