"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 01-05-2007, 04:36 AM   #11
Executive Chef
We had a great time and enjoyed fabulous food on our cruise. The problem is staying away from all those inviting foods. I would like to go on a fitness cruise sometime and see how those are.

Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:23 AM   #12
Sous Chef
We took a cruise on the Sitmar (now defunct, I think) Lines and the food was out of this world - except for the days we were in a hurricane. We're not much for organized 'fun' either - so we had a group (all met on ship) who did our own thing; stayed on board while most others were gone and just enjoyed the drinks and large pool to ourselves or went on shore when it was something we all wanted to do.

The Midnight Buffet is worth going on a cruise for - the chef's seem to try to outdo themselves every night!!!

cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #13
Head Chef
I am also not a huge fan of cruises. They just don't look appealing with herds of people. I recently went to Egypt and flew from Cairo to Luxor and boarded a Nile Cruise.

I did not know what to expect because this was the very first time I had been on a floating vessel. The cruise we went on was very intimate and only had 50 people, now it was a whole lot more expensive but also extremely personalized.

By the end of the 4 days we had made some good friends. The excursions which are critical when you go to a place like Luxor, Edfu, etc. are also pretty important and the small group sizes of 10-12 guests was also a huge bonus.

Food to me was not bad but not something I would call great either. The variety was good during breakfast and lunch but it was all pretty boring and blah and same old. Dinner was ala carte (sit down) but food again left a lot to be desired.

The service however was impeccable. The chef knew there were a few Indians on the boat and the menu was mostly catered to the Europeans so they would make us chicken curry and chickpeas and other things that some of us were missing. We were told we can walk into the kitchen anytime because they believed you had the right to see how the food was prepared and judge the cleanliness of the kitchen. The chef even fried some falafel's for us and shared several of his recipes.

All in all a smaller cruise although quite a bit more money than the larger ones are very good. There were times I would be on the Sun deck looking and admiring the shimmering waters of the Nile and the rustic countryside and there would be only 2 others on the deck. It was almost like I had the entire deck to myself.
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:36 AM   #14
Senior Cook
My wife and I actually took the Disney Cruise Line for our Honeymoon back in 2004. I can tell you without a doubt, it was the best vacation I have ever took, and I can't wait to go again.

The food, in my opinion, was amazing. I have eaten at several 4 star restaurants between Minneapolis and Chicago, and the food on the Cruise line was extremely close.

We personally never felt herded like cattle. Instead, we felt absolutely spoiled rotten. Any employee would stop what they are doing to tie your shoe for you.

I was really worried about being bored. But, at least on the Disney Cruise, I always have a dozen things to pick from. Even at midnight..

Just my 2 cents.. I can't wait to go again.

candelbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #15
Master Chef
Ya know, the first thought that came to my mind when I saw "cruise food", was food to take on a road trip. I was thinking crackers, squirt cheese, etc.
My husband says I was raised under a tub, and I think he's right.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #16
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by mudbug
I have really not much interest in taking a cruise on one of those big ships. (Sailboat cruises are different). Herded on to a giant floating hotel like cattle, herded off at various stops to buy a bunch of tourist junk within steps of the mother ship, no chance of escape while at sea, etc.

there's food, all kinds, all the time, right?

So my question for you cruisers is, is the food any good? That's the only thing that would tempt me to consider it
Re cruises - Three words:

Remember the Titanic

Kathy Lee Crosby

The Love Boat

I have never been on a cruise, but had some friends that went on the QE2 years ago. Wish I could give you more feedback as to what the trip/cruise/food was like.

Cruises are notorious for excellent food & plenty of it. However, very small accomodations is only one of the major factors that would turn me off. I wouldn't go on a cruise just for the food.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #17
LMAO mish!

mudbug, I cruised the Caribbean on Celebrity Cruise line and was very impressed with all the food we had. I also was fine with our cabin. If you go, don't cheap out and get the interior cabin, thats DEFINITELY a no no. Spend the extra and get yourself a little balcony deck to sit on. Well worth it IMO.

I actually kept a diary of the food we had. (Yes I know, that sounds odd, but I wanted to remember it because it was so good) If you like I can recite some of the lovely meals I had for you. I don't want to bore anyone though.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:49 PM   #18
Master Chef
Hey - I've never been on a cruise & I STILL want to hear about the food Alix. You certainly won't be boring me - lol!!!!
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #19
Executive Chef
Alix, I would love to see it also = I didn't keep a diary, but should have. You were smarter than I was.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #20
Assistant Cook
I've been on three cruises. One with Carnival and two with Royal Caribbean. The food was wonderful! The best food was at dinner time. They do try their best with the buffet's but even they were good at the snack hour of 3-5pm. I wish I had the recipe for their taco meat used for the nachos. I still think about it. My kids said the fries by the pool were the best fries they've ever had and actually, I thought so too (must be some lard used on that ship).
On the more serious side, at dinner I had an onion tart appetizer that was to die for! The scallop risoto was awesome! Every entree' I had was cooked to perfection, nothing was dry or overcooked at all. I'm not a fan of dessert and didn't care for their cheesecake (too eggy/airy texture), but the flourless chocolate cake is worth booking another cruise for in a heartbeat. If you want two dinners or two desserts, etc. you'll get it. My dad had lobster 3 times on his recent cruise just by mentioning to the waiter how good the lobster was.

you can google cruise menus and find some that cruising enthusiasts have posted on their webshots or on their own travel websites. cruisecritic.com is another place to do a search for menus from different ships.

FYI* The cruises I've been on haven't been very crowded. There are several areas with a range of different activites on a ship so the population was very spread out. Your room will be very small unless you get a suite. I'm not in the cabin much and I'm not a "room service" type so it doesn't bother me.

sherin65 is offline   Reply With Quote