"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 02-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's a recipe for the Italian beef sandwiches: Chicago's Italian beef sandwiches

Old 02-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Charlotte, North Carolina might be a recognizable name from the "banking hub" aspect. Lots of BBQ places around here. Maybe do some pulled pork (do you have a way to actually smoke this with Hickory chunks?) and a vinegar-based sauce with red slaw - PM me if you need any recipes.

Also - Cleveland, Ohio was the largest settlement for Hungarian immigrants. Lots of options there.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #33
Cook

What about some Philly Steaks.
Las Vegas is poplular with buffets so that week you could offer lots of buffet items.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichardson View Post
What about some Philly Steaks.
Las Vegas is poplular with buffets so that week you could offer lots of buffet items.
More or less, the entire cafe is one big buffet. I did Philly steaks recently, but always keep it at the back of my mind.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Charlotte, North Carolina might be a recognizable name from the "banking hub" aspect. Lots of BBQ places around here. Maybe do some pulled pork (do you have a way to actually smoke this with Hickory chunks?) and a vinegar-based sauce with red slaw - PM me if you need any recipes.

Also - Cleveland, Ohio was the largest settlement for Hungarian immigrants. Lots of options there.
That was almost identicle to the Charleston road trip! It was a huge success. Naturally, I'll change the name to Charlotte and do the whole thing over again!

I've got almost every piece of equipment known to man...except an authentic smoker
Old 02-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Here's a recipe for the Italian beef sandwiches: Chicago's Italian beef sandwiches

I like the idea of doing Chicago with more than just the hot dogs.....thanks. The hot roast beef recipe sounds like it can work, here.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
That was almost identicle to the Charleston road trip! It was a huge success. Naturally, I'll change the name to Charlotte and do the whole thing over again!

I've got almost every piece of equipment known to man...except an authentic smoker
Charleston to me = Frogmore Stew/Low Country Boil - YUMMY! To do that menu you could always use Savannah as your city.

I've tried liquid smoke and I'm just not a fan of it at ALL! Do you have a grill with a lid? You could still smoke that way very easily! Or you could use Hickory, NC (yes, that's me ) and do beer butt chicken since that seems to be what people request - I'll give you my rub recipe if you want. And my mother's Macaroni Salad - it belongs at every cookout!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
wrapping it up....in what? What type of bread?
My favorites use Italian bread. They cut it into 6" sections and don't use the end pieces. They pile the Italian beef on it, then the sweet and hot peppers, then use tongs to pick it up and dunk the entire thing in the juices from the Italian beef. They then place it on what looks to me a lot like parchment paper and wrap it up.
Some people unwrap completely and eat it up, I like to pick it up and unwrap as I eat it. Some like to 'drag it thru the garden' IE adding all kinds of veggies to it, or put cheese on it, etc.
I like mine with only the sweet and hot peppers on it, and dunked!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #39
Cook

Paris: goats cheese salad, Beef Bourguignonne and cremé brulee.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #40
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
How about Beverly Hills, for Pretentious Cuisine? You can use any Wolfgang Puck cookbook as reference material.