"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 02-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Seafood chowders don't come from SF... That's Cioppino 's home. Chowders are East coast. Manhattan and New England.. don't sound like San Francisco to me...
Actually, Fisherman's Wharf in SF is a famous place to get a sourdough bread bowl filled with clam chowder.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #52
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Actually, Fisherman's Wharf in SF is a famous place to get a sourdough bread bowl filled with clam chowder.
Yeah, but we were making chowdah's here on the East Coast Loooooooooooooong before there even WAS a San Francisco!

Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Yeah, but we were making chowdah's here on the East Coast Loooooooooooooong before there even WAS a San Francisco!
So? It's actually older than any of the English colonies, "created spontaneously, in one form or another, along every coast in the world."
History of Chowder, History of Clam Chowder, History of Fish Chowder

I don't think the East Coast has an exclusive claim to chowder.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:23 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Amy, I haven't been to Solvang for yearsss!! Thats on my list for the boy, on our Disneyland/visit family trip next year hopefully!

And I agree, the chowder in a sourdough bread bowl is very San Francisco, regardless if it started there or not!!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty View Post
Amy, I haven't been to Solvang for yearsss!! Thats on my list for the boy, on our Disneyland/visit family trip next year hopefully!

And I agree, the chowder in a sourdough bread bowl is very San Francisco, regardless if it started there or not!!!!
Loved Solvang - so quaint & lovely. Windmills & wooden shoes & sitting outside w a yummy pastry & cup o jaffa. Haven't been back in eons myself. Loved the Anderson's Pea soup as well. Do they have chowder in a bread bowl? Sign me up.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
When I was hired at my new position, one of my selling points was some of my quirky marketing plans.

Since the beginning of the year, I've taken the cafe on a weekly culinary road trip (called Road Trip 2008) to different cities around the nation. I highlight the food indigenous to that city or region.

So far, I've done Santa Fe, Charleston, New Orleans ( a huge Mardi Gras affair), Raleigh, Baltimore and San Francisco (China Town for Chinese New Year). This week I'm doing 'floribbean' cuisine from Miami.

Anyone have any other suggestions for cities? Give me some culinary ideas, too, if you can. Thanks, I do appreciate the help. What I offer is usually 2 or three entrees, a soup, some sides and a bread.
I had another idea, but you'll have to do some research if you're interested. The National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, D.C., has a Native Foods Café that serves the cuisine of 5 or 6 American Indian groups. The cafe is divided into several sections that each serve a different native cuisine - Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Northwest, Southwest, might be one or two more. It would be interesting to see how many are duplicates of what we might think were developed by the English settlers

I don't remember what the foods were, but four of us went, we all got different food and sampled from each other's plates, and it was all wonderful. Maybe you could contact the chef there and ask about the menus. You could scatter the different cuisines throughout the year. HTH.