Culinary Road Trip, 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charleston to me = Frogmore Stew/Low Country Boil - YUMMY! To do that menu you could always use Savannah as your city.

I've tried liquid smoke and I'm just not a fan of it at ALL! Do you have a grill with a lid? You could still smoke that way very easily! Or you could use Hickory, NC (yes, that's me :LOL:) and do beer butt chicken since that seems to be what people request - I'll give you my rub recipe if you want. And my mother's Macaroni Salad - it belongs at every cookout! :rolleyes:

Okay...I've done so many 'trips'...Charleston was my low country trip, complete with Frogmore stew. Gee, how many people asked me if there were frogs in it??

Okay, the winner for next week is Memphis, TN!
I'm thinking from there I'll do the Keys with the Grouper and cuban sandwiches.
From there....San Francisco with bread boulles filled with all types of seafood chowders.

You realize I have to sell these ideas to my client. I loved the Cincinnati chili idea, two way, three way, etc... He seems to believe that if it doesn't involve tons of meat it won't sell.

Thanks to all of you for your great ideas, and please keep them coming. This is only the 7th week of the year!!!!

when I read your post, several things popped right into my head:

Beer and Brats in Milwaukee
chowderfest in Boston (or Thanksgiving in Plymouth, the birthplace of the holiday)
Crabs in Bawlmer (Baltimore, that is ;))
hotdogs, hamburgers and the ice cream cone all come from the 03 St. Louis World's Fair...

Louisville, KY.. mint juleps, Derby Day

Last edited:
Seafood chowders don't come from SF... That's Cioppino 's home. Chowders are East coast. Manhattan and New England.. don't sound like San Francisco to me...

Actually, Fisherman's Wharf in SF is a famous place to get a sourdough bread bowl filled with clam chowder.

Amy, I haven't been to Solvang for yearsss!! Thats on my list for the boy, on our Disneyland/visit family trip next year hopefully!

And I agree, the chowder in a sourdough bread bowl is very San Francisco, regardless if it started there or not!!!!

Amy, I haven't been to Solvang for yearsss!! Thats on my list for the boy, on our Disneyland/visit family trip next year hopefully!

And I agree, the chowder in a sourdough bread bowl is very San Francisco, regardless if it started there or not!!!!

Loved Solvang - so quaint & lovely. Windmills & wooden shoes & sitting outside w a yummy pastry & cup o jaffa. Haven't been back in eons myself. Loved the Anderson's Pea soup as well. Do they have chowder in a bread bowl? Sign me up. :)

When I was hired at my new position, one of my selling points was some of my quirky marketing plans.

Since the beginning of the year, I've taken the cafe on a weekly culinary road trip (called Road Trip 2008) to different cities around the nation. I highlight the food indigenous to that city or region.

So far, I've done Santa Fe, Charleston, New Orleans ( a huge Mardi Gras affair), Raleigh, Baltimore and San Francisco (China Town for Chinese New Year). This week I'm doing 'floribbean' cuisine from Miami.

Anyone have any other suggestions for cities? Give me some culinary ideas, too, if you can. Thanks, I do appreciate the help. What I offer is usually 2 or three entrees, a soup, some sides and a bread.

I had another idea, but you'll have to do some research if you're interested. The National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, D.C., has a Native Foods Café that serves the cuisine of 5 or 6 American Indian groups. The cafe is divided into several sections that each serve a different native cuisine - Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Northwest, Southwest, might be one or two more. It would be interesting to see how many are duplicates of what we might think were developed by the English settlers ;)

I don't remember what the foods were, but four of us went, we all got different food and sampled from each other's plates, and it was all wonderful. Maybe you could contact the chef there and ask about the menus. You could scatter the different cuisines throughout the year. HTH.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom