Culinary Road Trip, 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
St. Louis

Toasted (or fried) Ravioli
Gooey Buttercake
Ice Cream cones invented there at 1904 World's Fair
Peanut Butter Invented
Alot of KC BBQ influence

I guess thats more dessert than meals though.

:LOL: You're asking me,,,a country boy from small town Mississippi???

Deep Dish Chicago Style Pizza
Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches
Hot Dogs

Twinkies...Invented there 75+ years ago...Fried?:ermm:
Brownies...Another Invention...1893 or so..

I see a very fun event in the making....and just wait for some of the Chicago natives to weigh in.....Sha-Zams!!!

Chicago, original home of the slaughterhouse - a good steak is a must.

Just saw your post, AAB. Great minds think alike - or love a good steak ;)

Good points all...let's not forget the great Chicago steakhouses :-p

Thanks Uncle Bob, I'm going to have to find me a good Chicago style dog for lunch :)
I've been at the Exchange now for three months...and I've already done a chicago hot dog bar twice! Gotta say, those 'sport' peppers are HOT!!

Not sure who or what New York Traders is/are, but Norfolk or Virginia Beach or Williamsburg should be familiar to New Yorkers - lots of them fill the beaches and golf courses in the summer :)

Traders = NY stock exchange. I actually planned on doing Colonial Williamsburg...until the 'client' suggested that no one would get the idea of colonial food. I'll go with the Norfolk name, and still slide in my colonial fare:angel:

VB, you haven't done southern Ohio yet??? what ever are you thinking?:LOL:

how about Cincinnati Chili?

pick a small town in Italy or Sicily

italian pizza

Vienna Austria with weinerschnitzel and sachertorte

PARIS....

VB, you haven't done southern Ohio yet??? what ever are you thinking?:LOL:

how about Cincinnati Chili?

pick a small town in Italy or Sicily

italian pizza

Vienna Austria with weinerschnitzel and sachertorte

PARIS....

Honey, if I could get to Italy or Austria by car(hence the words road trip) from Wall Street, NYC, I'd not even have to worry about this!!!! ahhahaha

Not to sound snooty..but what's so special about Cincinatti chili? What's it like?

Cincinnati chili has coco powder and cinnamon in it, and can be served over spaghetti noodles with optional toppings of cheese and onions.

I think for Chicago most has been mentioned already, but a good one would be Italian Beef sandwiches since you already did Chicago dogs. The preferred method is to pile on the thin sliced Italian beef, hot and sweet peppers, then dip the entire thing in the juices from the meat (kind of an au ju thing) before wrapping it all up.

Cincinnati chili has coco powder and cinnamon in it, and can be served over spaghetti noodles with optional toppings of cheese and onions.

I think for Chicago most has been mentioned already, but a good one would be Italian Beef sandwiches since you already did Chicago dogs. The preferred method is to pile on the thin sliced Italian beef, hot and sweet peppers, then dip the entire thing in the juices from the meat (kind of an au ju thing) before wrapping it all up.

wrapping it up....in what? What type of bread?

Charlotte, North Carolina might be a recognizable name from the "banking hub" aspect. Lots of BBQ places around here. Maybe do some pulled pork (do you have a way to actually smoke this with Hickory chunks?) and a vinegar-based sauce with red slaw - PM me if you need any recipes.

Also - Cleveland, Ohio was the largest settlement for Hungarian immigrants. Lots of options there.

Last edited:
What about some Philly Steaks.
Las Vegas is poplular with buffets so that week you could offer lots of buffet items.

What about some Philly Steaks.
Las Vegas is poplular with buffets so that week you could offer lots of buffet items.
More or less, the entire cafe is one big buffet. I did Philly steaks recently, but always keep it at the back of my mind.

Charlotte, North Carolina might be a recognizable name from the "banking hub" aspect. Lots of BBQ places around here. Maybe do some pulled pork (do you have a way to actually smoke this with Hickory chunks?) and a vinegar-based sauce with red slaw - PM me if you need any recipes.

Also - Cleveland, Ohio was the largest settlement for Hungarian immigrants. Lots of options there.

That was almost identicle to the Charleston road trip! It was a huge success. Naturally, I'll change the name to Charlotte and do the whole thing over again!

I've got almost every piece of equipment known to man...except an authentic smoker:(

That was almost identicle to the Charleston road trip! It was a huge success. Naturally, I'll change the name to Charlotte and do the whole thing over again!

I've got almost every piece of equipment known to man...except an authentic smoker:(

Charleston to me = Frogmore Stew/Low Country Boil - YUMMY! To do that menu you could always use Savannah as your city.

I've tried liquid smoke and I'm just not a fan of it at ALL! Do you have a grill with a lid? You could still smoke that way very easily! Or you could use Hickory, NC (yes, that's me :LOL:) and do beer butt chicken since that seems to be what people request - I'll give you my rub recipe if you want. And my mother's Macaroni Salad - it belongs at every cookout! :rolleyes:

wrapping it up....in what? What type of bread?

My favorites use Italian bread. They cut it into 6" sections and don't use the end pieces. They pile the Italian beef on it, then the sweet and hot peppers, then use tongs to pick it up and dunk the entire thing in the juices from the Italian beef. They then place it on what looks to me a lot like parchment paper and wrap it up.
Some people unwrap completely and eat it up, I like to pick it up and unwrap as I eat it. Some like to 'drag it thru the garden' IE adding all kinds of veggies to it, or put cheese on it, etc.
I like mine with only the sweet and hot peppers on it, and dunked!

How about Beverly Hills, for Pretentious Cuisine? You can use any Wolfgang Puck cookbook as reference material.

Back
Top Bottom