"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 03-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
It all sounds absolutely wonderfull! I would love to attend.
Come on down! It's not all that far to Gallatin TN.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

We are probably about 1500 miles from you up here in South Dakota. Otherwise I would be there in a heartbeat. Thanks for the offer. I would love to hear how it all turns out for you.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #33
Senior Cook

For a group of this size, I'd be thinking of either some sort of custard-based dessert such as a trifle, parfait or bread pudding or perhaps a tiramisu or tres leches. All of these can be prepared well in advance and actually improve with a day or so of refrigeration. I'd give a lot of thought to my presentation and come up with something interesting and attractive.

Personally, I'd probably go for the tres leches cake or perhaps a variation using cream of coconut instead of the condensed milk in the traditional recipe and garnishing the whipped cream topping with fresh toasted coconut.

Another coconut cake worth considering (but a lot of work for such a large group) would be Bobby Flay's Toasted Coconut Cake with Coconut Filling and Coconut Buttercream: Throwdown's Toasted Coconut Cake with Coconut Filling and Coconut Buttercream Recipe : Bobby Flay : Food Network.

Also, baked alaska could be a great choice if you have enough freezer space. It's a bit old fashioned but makes a great presentation with a fresh fruit/berry garnish and even more so if you flambe it.

I'd be interested in knowing what you finally decide to do and how it comes out. Let us know!
"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #34
Senior Cook

OK - for the last week I have done nothing but Gala - no email, no laundry, no groups ... BUT the Gala was a great success. I need another day to rest, since I only do this size event twice a year, but wanted folks to know how much I appreciated the help and that I will be back with an "after action report".
Old 04-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraC View Post
OK - for the last week I have done nothing but Gala - no email, no laundry, no groups ... BUT the Gala was a great success. I need another day to rest, since I only do this size event twice a year, but wanted folks to know how much I appreciated the help and that I will be back with an "after action report".
Congratulations on your success!!! We look forward to hearing the details when you get time. Relax & put your feet up with a good glass of wine you deserve it!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #36
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Congratulations on the Gala success!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Final Under the Sea Menu:
Apps:
"Angels" - Asiago cheese/horseradish stuffed shrimp, wrapped in bacon
Cucumber rounds topped with boursin - as refreshing as a sea breeze according to the publicity, and pretty darn good according to the taste tests.
Seafood salad on toast points - well over 1000 were eaten, so I think they liked the salad as much as I did, but it was a simple shrimp/lobster/Krab salad.
Celery boats, with hummus, dressed up pimento cheese, or pineapple/bell pepper/cream cheese for our less adventurous guests

Soup: Lobster corn chowder (with cumin and green chilies); sold out on this one, even though we made as much for the soup course as usual. Last year we had about 3 gallons of soup left over. It was just unusually good this year.
Salad: Greek Island Salad with a semi homemade oregano/Feta dressing - bought Greek vinaigrette and added a bunch of fresh oregano, garlic and feta, some kalamata juice and extra virgin olive oil. Staring with the bought helped hold the emulsion together, so we could let a server dress the salads as they went out, without worrying about separation.

Entrees:
Steamship Round - 24 hours at 180 degrees, on a bed of veg, thyme and wine, served at the carving stations with au jus - 2 spectacular, 70 pound Fred Flintstone chunks of meat; a real show stopper!
Chicken Lyonnaise (from the Titanic's last meal, though we didn't really advertise that aspect to everyone; folks in the know enjoyed sharing the knowledge judiciously)
Fried Grouper with lemon wedges, homemade tartar sauce and cocktail sauce
Stuffed Shells in homemade Alfredo (our vegetarian choice)
Linguine with red clam sauce
Shiver me Timbers: Shrimp skewers stuck into fried grit/smoked cheddar cheese balls visually a success and controlled the portioning for a buffet service, but I wasn't really as pleased with the dish as I had been in taste tests.

Veg:
Golden coins - honey roasted carrot medallions. Par boiling then roasting really made these popular. I usually use tarragon with the honey, but the fresh was crazy expensive from our vendor, so we skipped it. Still really good. For most folks the texture of cooked carrots is the problem - a final 10 minutes of roasting in honey gives a nice "crust"
Paella style rice (veg and spice only/no proteins)
"Scalloped" potatoes
Haricot vert

Assorted rolls, with butter, on the table and replenished on request.

Dessert:
Blue coconut sorbet in a martini glass with a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie and a slice of star fruit - absolutely the prettiest thing we have ever served, but a bit of a nightmare since the big freezer died the day before the Gala, so we had to plate all 350 at service time.

I was privileged to be able to help put this food out.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #38
Master Chef

Site Moderator

That sounds amazing and I bet that dessert looked stunning.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

It sounds like an amazing presentation. Congratulations on your success!

Tags
dessert