"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 12-13-2006, 01:55 AM   #21
DC Grandma

I think she does.....and he usually is.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #22
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I survived! Dinner with the parents went brilliantly. I did two Bill Grainger recipes, lamb fillets marinated in yoghurt and spices with saffron rice and a side dish of zucchini and tomatoes. For dessert we had a blueberry trifle.

For our new years day party I made spinach and cheese triangles and lamb and pine nut triangles, sausage rolls and miniature mushroom quiches. We had dips, cherries, marshmallows, chocolates and fudge too. Nearly everything got eaten, which was good.

We had 40 people in our one bedroom flat at one point, it was very crowded.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Old 01-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

pssst, kyles, you might want to rename this thread "i'm engaged, and i have a CULINARY dilemma" before the in laws get a look at it. .

otherwise, congrats, and well done!

everything you made sounds delicious.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #24
Master Chef

What Bucky Said.

And for my two cents, you did great. What a joy it must have been for you to present good food, and have everyone love it. Take pride in your accomplishment and let it build your relationship with your lucky young man. That's what's important. It's great to be successful, but if you were allowed only one thing to be successful with, that one thing should be your marriage.

You see that little saying that is at the bottom of my posts, I believe in it completely. Your husband to be is the single most important person in your life, not his parents, not your parents. And you should be the single most important person in his life as well. Of course, if everyone is able to love each other, then so much the better. I wish you all the happiness and joy that a good marriage can bring, and wonderful children, and the patience to help them grow.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Congrats on your engagement and on the success of your parties!!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'm so glad it was a success kyles!! That's quite a houseful of people! Congratulations again.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I knew you would do brilliantly without any advice from me. Well done!
Old 01-07-2007, 02:31 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to squirt
Smile no ice box?

First of all congratulations all round, sounds like you pulled it all off very smoothly. The food sounds fantastic!
Let me give you a little tip if your ice box is too small!
Here in Britain the bad weather is a good thing when catering for more than a few people so I always put a large box OUTSIDE and put covered food in there to keep it cool. We keep our beers outside in a bucket of water at Christmas and New year and anything else that can't go into the fridge goes into the big box or the garage.

We had a white Christmas a couple years ago and I just put everything on a table in the yard, my friend put all her food & beer on the balcony of her flat and the neighbours thought she was having a balcony party!

I live in the Midlands so we are a tiny bit warmer down here but not much as long as its 5 degrees or less you should have no problems.

One pot meals are good for basic kitchens - have you tried the lancashire hot pot yet? We have a regional stew in Stoke called Lobby - lob everything in! We start making it on a Monday and keep adding to it every day - by Friday its fantastic.

You are so right about buffet tables in England though - sausages on sticks, curly ham sandwiches, a dish of pickled onions, crisps, sausage rolls and trifle.
Most people like this because they don't do it every day - I think its so boring. I love to add minty mushy pea dips with roasted parsnips to dunk and as little bread as possible because of the curl factor. If I do use bread I split finger rolls and butter them and then freeze them - why? Because if you put them out frozen and covered on the plates an hour before, they defrost and are still very soft by the time you are ready to eat, this way people can add their own fillings and not have to handle the sandwiches to see whats on them.
I wish you both well for the future hun.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:06 AM   #29
Master Chef

You can never, ever go wrong with a variety of cheese. Many people who live here in the US do not realize how much smaller refridgerators are across the pond. But you can get good cheese and bread or crackers (OK, biscuits) and everyone will like it. Some nuts and fruit to round it out if you wish, but not necessary.