"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 12-12-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
Dilemma - I'm engaged!

Ok folks, I have two dilemmas.

First, my in laws to be are coming over to our place from Germany on New Years Eve, and I'm going to cook for them. We have the most basic of kitchens, and no dining table, so we eat off our knees (well on plates) So I need some easy ideas (bearing in mind I'm in England so some stuff isn't possible to get here) I have never met them before, have no idea of their likes and dislikes, and hubby to be cheerfully says they're just like him, they'll eat anything!

Secondly on New Years day we are having an engagement party for mainly Corey's relatives, and a few friends, it'll be an open house from 11 - 4, and I'm planning on finger food. I'd love some ideas. Bearing in mind our fridge is the size of a shoe box, so I will have to prepare most things on the day rather than in advance.

So in short HELP!

kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Well, I'm of no help with your dilemmas but wanted to say Congratulations!!! What great news!

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
First off Kyles, a big hug on your engagement, it couldn't have happened to anyone nicer. Let me wake up and put on my thinking cap to see if it still works and I'll get back to you Of course there will be so many wanting to help I'll need track shoes to keep ahead of all of them.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
YAY Kylie! I'm so happy for you! Are you thinking calorie wise type nibblies or just anything? I'm not much help on the dinner part at the moment, I'll think on that a bit.

The nibblies however I would go with making some kind of cheese ball or doing roasted garlic and warmed brie with crackers. A tray of veggies and dip, a tray of fruit and a yogurt dip would be easy to store and prep the day of. You can also do a ton of those tortilla rolls, they stack beautifully in the fridge and you can slice them and put them on a tray to serve. I would also have something hot like a spinach dip or chicken wings or something that you could put in the oven while you are prepping the other stuff. Good luck! Oh, if you need recipes I can go find links for that stuff for you. HUGS!!
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:56 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
Congratulations on your engagement!

How about a small roast with potato and veggie casseroles you can prepare ahead.

A roast beef, or lamb doesn't require a lot of attention and you can carve it just before service.

A potato casserole such as lyonnaise or scalloped potatoes can also be prepped ahead and just finished in the oven with the roast.

Roast a winter squash the day before and mash it with butter and brown sugar and reheat it in the oven or even a microwave for service.

These dishes can be set out on a table or counter and folks can serve them selves or you can prep plates and deliver to the various sets of knees.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
Executive Chef

How about an antipasto platter? Several meats, cheeses, pickles, olives and pickled veggies would be easy to prepare ahead and just set on a tray. If you added some crackers or cocktail bread, that would be about all you'd need.
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #7
Hospitality Queen
Extreme congrats, Kyles!
I was reading your post and thought of the same thing Jan said - it would be easy! Along those same lines, I've often cut up fruit and served it on bamboo skewers. It makes for a pretty presentation, too, when they're placed in a tall wide vase. Will the weather be forgiving enough to make the party an outdoors event or is my California mentality getting the best of me?
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
Jkath, California dreaming as usual!!!! Let's see Lancashire, winter, snow, rain, hail, sleet, and that's being optimistic!!!! Outdoors not an option!

Antipasto is a fab idea, nice and easy. In the North here buffet tables are always the same, sausage rolls, red cabbage, sandwiches etc, I want to do something a bit different.

I'm not going to stress too much over calories, but give people a bit of choice.

This has all been a bit of a whirlwind, thank goodness I have til September 2008 before the big day!
kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Great news! Congrats!!
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:17 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Congratulations Kyles! First, for you dinner I think I would go with a roast beef, or roast pork, along with your favorite vegetables, or maybe lasagna.

As for the engagement party I can think of a few things:

Breaded mozzarella sticks either baked or fried and served with a marinara dipping sauce

Baked brie with a nice french bread

Shrimp cocktail (though that could get expensive if you have alot of guests)

Jalapeno poppers, which is basically a fresh jalapeno cut in half, filled with a cream cheese mixture then bread and fried

Quiche, a plain one and another version like maybe spinach and feta, or broccoli and cheese

Sharp cheddar cheese and pineapple chunks on a toothpick are very tasty

Pork pie (tourtierre, sp?) with a hot mustard dipping sauce

amber is offline   Reply With Quote