Dilemma - I'm engaged!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyles

Head Chef
Ok folks, I have two dilemmas.

First, my in laws to be are coming over to our place from Germany on New Years Eve, and I'm going to cook for them. We have the most basic of kitchens, and no dining table, so we eat off our knees (well on plates) So I need some easy ideas (bearing in mind I'm in England so some stuff isn't possible to get here) I have never met them before, have no idea of their likes and dislikes, and hubby to be cheerfully says they're just like him, they'll eat anything!

Secondly on New Years day we are having an engagement party for mainly Corey's relatives, and a few friends, it'll be an open house from 11 - 4, and I'm planning on finger food. I'd love some ideas. Bearing in mind our fridge is the size of a shoe box, so I will have to prepare most things on the day rather than in advance.

So in short HELP!

First off Kyles, a big hug on your engagement,:clap: it couldn't have happened to anyone nicer. Let me wake up and put on my thinking cap to see if it still works and I'll get back to you :LOL: Of course there will be so many wanting to help I'll need track shoes to keep ahead of all of them.
kadesma

YAY Kylie! I'm so happy for you! Are you thinking calorie wise type nibblies or just anything? I'm not much help on the dinner part at the moment, I'll think on that a bit.

The nibblies however I would go with making some kind of cheese ball or doing roasted garlic and warmed brie with crackers. A tray of veggies and dip, a tray of fruit and a yogurt dip would be easy to store and prep the day of. You can also do a ton of those tortilla rolls, they stack beautifully in the fridge and you can slice them and put them on a tray to serve. I would also have something hot like a spinach dip or chicken wings or something that you could put in the oven while you are prepping the other stuff. Good luck! Oh, if you need recipes I can go find links for that stuff for you. HUGS!!

Congratulations on your engagement!

How about a small roast with potato and veggie casseroles you can prepare ahead.

A roast beef, or lamb doesn't require a lot of attention and you can carve it just before service.

A potato casserole such as lyonnaise or scalloped potatoes can also be prepped ahead and just finished in the oven with the roast.

Roast a winter squash the day before and mash it with butter and brown sugar and reheat it in the oven or even a microwave for service.

These dishes can be set out on a table or counter and folks can serve them selves or you can prep plates and deliver to the various sets of knees.

Congratulations!

How about an antipasto platter? Several meats, cheeses, pickles, olives and pickled veggies would be easy to prepare ahead and just set on a tray. If you added some crackers or cocktail bread, that would be about all you'd need.

Extreme congrats, Kyles!
I was reading your post and thought of the same thing Jan said - it would be easy! Along those same lines, I've often cut up fruit and served it on bamboo skewers. It makes for a pretty presentation, too, when they're placed in a tall wide vase. Will the weather be forgiving enough to make the party an outdoors event or is my California mentality getting the best of me?

Jkath, California dreaming as usual!!!! Let's see Lancashire, winter, snow, rain, hail, sleet, and that's being optimistic!!!! Outdoors not an option!

Antipasto is a fab idea, nice and easy. In the North here buffet tables are always the same, sausage rolls, red cabbage, sandwiches etc, I want to do something a bit different.

I'm not going to stress too much over calories, but give people a bit of choice.

This has all been a bit of a whirlwind, thank goodness I have til September 2008 before the big day!

Congratulations Kyles! First, for you dinner I think I would go with a roast beef, or roast pork, along with your favorite vegetables, or maybe lasagna.

As for the engagement party I can think of a few things:

Breaded mozzarella sticks either baked or fried and served with a marinara dipping sauce

Baked brie with a nice french bread

Shrimp cocktail (though that could get expensive if you have alot of guests)

Jalapeno poppers, which is basically a fresh jalapeno cut in half, filled with a cream cheese mixture then bread and fried

Quiche, a plain one and another version like maybe spinach and feta, or broccoli and cheese

Sharp cheddar cheese and pineapple chunks on a toothpick are very tasty

Pork pie (tourtierre, sp?) with a hot mustard dipping sauce

OMG - Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let my mind settle down and maybe I can think! You've already gotten good advice.

Congrats!:mrgreen: :w00t2: If I recall, many a Doiche dish is served up as cold-cuts, room temp cheeses, and fresh breads, pastries and fruits or fruit preserves.

IF a cooked meal is served, pork is always foolproof and needs little embelishment. I like Andy's idea for the roast and sides. Good root veggies are the way to go when the outside is yucky. It just comforts to the bone.

A great boiled dinner would be great as well, with corned beef simmered along with potatoes, rutabeggas, onions, cabbage, and seasoned just right with garlic, salt and pepper. Serve that with a good crusty bread and some butter and you're garunteed to please.

I'm sure they will love anything you prepare, so make it good, but make it simple, something that cooks without a lot of fussing, like in a crock pot, or in the oven. And as you mentioned, the anti pasta tray is always well received.

But most important of all, let your love for you hubby to be shine through for everyone to experience. That's what will make the night special.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

In my humble opinion, Goodweed is right on, as usual.

This event is about meeting the folks and friends, and welcoming guests, and you have to be there to talk to people and shmooz.

And not be worried about the food.

How in the heck you do this I have no idea.

Agree with all of the posters about appetizer type food, for both parties.

Would think about things like tapas, including a Spanish tortilla that is great served warm, or on one of the occasions a warm frittata, it will work.

And you can cook it, leave it at room temp covered with cling wrap, and serve in slices.

Mix it up, do tapas, antipasta dishes, lovely sliced sausages, you name it.

Anything that can be made before the guests arrive.

Now

Would Google for recipes, could give a few

This event is about meeting the folks and friends, and welcoming guests, and you have to be there to talk to people and shmooz.

Would think about things like tapas, including a Spanish tortilla that is great served warm, or on one of the occasions a warm frittata, it will work.

And you can cook it, leave it at room temp covered with cling wrap, and serve in slices.

Now you do

Now you do have an oven, so think about preparing one warm dish. Would

Now you do have an oven, so think about preparing one warm dish. Would consider a casserole or a ham or something that can be easily served.

And

How in the heck you do this is tough; I would find it daunting.

Would think about things like tapas, including a Spanish tortilla that is great served cold, or a frittata, it will work.

Mix it up, do tapas, antipasta dishes, lovely sliced sausages, mezze, you name it.

Now you do have an oven, so think about preparing one warm dish. Would consider a casserole or a ham or something that can be easily served.

And if you have a crock pot, well, can always serve a second warm dish.

And vary the menu between the two parties.

You are limited in your place it seems, but that should not look like an impediment.

Garnishing can be very simple, and make a dish look elegant.

And then there are friends. If you can incorporate one or more into helping you, well, just pay them back with a lunch or dinner at home.

And some flowers or anything you can find to make your home look festive would be great.

Just a few ideas and I know you will do great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom