"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
Master Chef

Whoo Hooo........after more searching I found the video that Charlie posted about chicken kiev. It's in Russian but the trick is in the seeing.... Just click below, it looks strange, but it works.....

: , , , , , | -

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #12
Master Chef

If I can be really honest....

This is supposed to be upscale, right?

Chicken in any form really isn't that unless you are Gordon Hamersley.

And chicken Kiev is a pretty outdated dish. Even though its good. It's just not the special upscale kind of thing your guests might be expecting.

I'd personally go with the Cornish hen. Is the chili glaze spicy? If so I might rethink that, though I love the glaze idea.

Also, I would add a composed dessert. I've had fabulous strawberry shortcakes at upscale joints in the past few weeks.

One other idea is Sarah Moulton's tequila stuffed cherry tomatoes for an app. When I cater in the summer they are always the first thing that gets eaten.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Duck! Unless that counts as red meat.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
Head Chef

Everything sounds great, although I'd like a rice or wild rice dish instead of potatoes with the Cornish Hen. (unless, of course, the hen already has a rice stuffing).

Also, some sort of chocolate dessert would be a good addition to the fruit/nut/cheese dessert. Homemade dark chocolate truffles would be my first choice. Dark chocolate mousse would also be nice.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
Executive Chef

It all sounds great, Steve. You have a bit of work cut out for yourself. If you want to go with chicken, why don't you try and get your hands on Frenched chicken breasts? You can season and roast it and serve it on whatever sauce you want to come up with. Funny how that little bone can make things seem fancier.lol
Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #16
Master Chef

I had to laugh about chicken Kiev being not upscale enough or an "outdated dish"....others might call it an elegant classic.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I had to laugh about chicken Kiev being not upscale enough or an "outdated dish"....others might call it a classic.
I haven't had one of those in years which is a good reason why I would love to be served one.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
I had to laugh about chicken Kiev being not upscale enough or an "outdated dish"....others might call it an elegant classic.
I like it!

But it's a creature of the 1970's which I haven't seen on a restaurant menu in decades. It's also a breaded fried chicken breast which is probably in 2013 considered upscale but not elegant.

It's a home dish at this point,IMO and not something a caterer would serve which is probably what Steve is aiming at.

I agree with Andy that a duck breast or a duck confit might be interesting.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I like it!

But it's a creature of the 1970's which I haven't seen on a restaurant menu in decades. It's also a breaded fried chicken breast which is probably in 2013 considered upscale but not elegant.

It's a home dish at this point,IMO and not something a caterer would serve which is probably what Steve is aiming at.

I agree with Andy that a duck breast or a duck confit might be interesting.
I used to buy 4 packs from the supermarket and eat one on a bun with mayo, lettuce and tomato.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
It's an elegant classic. I would love to have it again!

Not that you need more apps, Steve, but a friend loved a Costco recipe from one of their cookbooks, individual grapes surrounded in goat cheese and rolled in crushed nuts.

I like Cerise's idea about spatchcocking the cornish game hens, and maybe parting/ disjointing them, then reassembling them on the plate, along with your glaze.

I'm sending you my check for sixty bucks....

Tags
dinner, menu