Dinner Menu Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to buy 4 packs from the supermarket and eat one on a bun with mayo, lettuce and tomato.:LOL:

Nuff said.

It's a dated classic that might be appropriate for a classics of yesteryear menu but likely not what Steve is aiming at.

What about a seared duck breast with a delicious sauce?

I still think the cornish game hens are a good idea for dinner.

I was thinking about this to add on your dessert plate-- one california date stuffed with almond paste and set a ( canned/ smoked or plain) california almond on top. Then I was looking at recipes for this, and I saw someone put coarse chop pistacios on top. Makes a good appie too. Then I saw this web site-- What says Northern Ca/ Wine country more than Chuck Williams. Well, yes, Wine country is more than one area and it might be more SF centric these days, he did start out in Sonoma.

Give this webs site a look-see for alternative main course ideas since that seems to be what everyone is focus on.

Chicken Recipes & Chicken Breast Recipes | Williams-Sonoma

What about a seared duck breast with a delicious sauce?
Thanks for all the advice, Jenny.

Normally duck breast would've been a natural choice for this dinner. It's elegant and relatively easy to prepare. But two things rule it out. First, I'm looking for something I can just toss in the oven and essentially walk away from until it's done. I have to be available for the murder mystery, since I'm part of the "cast". The way I usually make duck breasts (pan sear and finish in the oven) requires undivided attention.

And second, two of the attendees are also members of a dinner club I belong to. We did duck breasts with that group just a few months ago. I don't want them to think I'm just rehashing old material. :)

I like your idea for the tequila spiked stuffed cherry tomatoes. I assume you are "Jen Jen" on the Fine Cooking forum, since that's the only reference I could find online. Would you mind if I borrowed your suggestion? It sounds very colorful, and, thinking about it, my appetizer menu seems awash in beiges and browns. I would probably do that in place of the stuffed mushrooms.

You asked about the chili glaze being spicy. I've made it before, and the ingredients include orange juice, ancho chili, and honey. I would categorize it as "warm", but not terribly spicy.

Regarding dessert, several people suggested doing something more traditional. However, the wine I'm serving for that course is actually the dessert and the other things are accompaniments. It's a very nice late harvest Riesling from Germany. Remember, these are wine geeks I'm serving, so I know they'll appreciate it.

Steve sounds like he has things well in hand !

And I might be Jen Jen on another site, as its my nickname. But I'd gladly give u the recipe

I agree with those that say four apps are a bit too-too. Also, instead of either the scallops or shrimp I would do prosciutto-wrapped asparagus spears, very lightly steamed so they still have a bite to them. A sprinkling of grated lemon rind on the prosciutto before rolling adds a nice touch. And they're very good chilled.

Regarding the chili glaze for the cornish hens, personally I'm not a saucy person when it comes to food. If they are going to be awash in lots of glaze I would suggest instead you paint them very lightly and offer addition warm sauce on the side for those who like a liberal amount.

Finally, I would be thrilled to send you $60 just to dress in costume and discreetly clear the dirty plates and glasses out to the kitchen while soaking up the theatre around me! Plus, as my "tip" I would like a small plate consisting of a morsel of each of your prepared foods.

Hope you all have a killer of a good time.

Finally, I would be thrilled to send you $60 just to dress in costume and discreetly clear the dirty plates and glasses out to the kitchen while soaking up the theatre around me! Plus, as my "tip" I would like a small plate consisting of a morsel of each of your prepared foods.
You're too kind. I couldn't even get my daughter to do that for FREE. :LOL:

Last night, we had dinner at Cover 3 in Austin and just shared a bunch of appies. One was a shrimp and crab tower layered with avocado and pico de gallo, served with a mixed green salad and vinaigrette. It was colorful and delicious.

Everything sounds great, although I'd like a rice or wild rice dish instead of potatoes with the Cornish Hen. (unless, of course, the hen already has a rice stuffing).

Also, some sort of chocolate dessert would be a good addition to the fruit/nut/cheese dessert. Homemade dark chocolate truffles would be my first choice. Dark chocolate mousse would also be nice.

Crispy bacon dipped in and covered in dark chocolate. Drizzld with white chocolate design.

Crispy bacon dipped in and covered in dark chocolate. Drizzld with white chocolate design.

Addie,

You may be on to something!

I'm thinking more like a bacon turtle!

Bacon, caramel and milk chocolate.

Steve will make us eat in the kitchen and do the dishes! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last night, we had dinner at Cover 3 in Austin and just shared a bunch of appies. One was a shrimp and crab tower layered with avocado and pico de gallo, served with a mixed green salad and vinaigrette. It was colorful and delicious.

I need my eyes checked. When I first read this, I thought you said you just shared a bunch of APPLES. :wacko:

Well, of course. Shrimp and crab apples are amazing. Can't believe you've never had one.

;)

:LOL: Here's GG and friends at a nice restaurant, and they share a bunch of apples. :huh: Then I read the rest of the post!

Love doing the appie (not apple) thing, a great way to get a taste of everything.

Which brings us back to Steve's menu.

Last edited:
Addie,

You may be on to something!

I'm thinking more like a bacon turtle!

Bacon, caramel and milk chocolate.

Steve will make us eat in the kitchen and do the dishes! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Not my original idea. Place in NY makes them. I just added the white chocoate. You have to make sure the bacon is crispy and cold before dipping. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom