"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 11-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not all commercially available turkeys are "already pumped with lots of SALTY BROTH". I buy a fresh Butterball every year and brine it (frozen Butterballs are injected with a brine). Since I started using the Good Eats Thanksgiving Turkey recipe, I've had the juiciest and tastiest turkeys I've ever eaten.

One of the reasons some turkeys come brined is because brining works!
Don't hate on the salty broth
(not you specifically)

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
Master Chef

I always brine my turkeys.

And they are always fabulous!!!!

Brining is absolutely the way to go.

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
If I was getting a fresh Turkey, I'm sure I would brine it.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:32 AM   #14
Executive Chef
no brine. I like to rub an herb butter under the skin and a little over the top of it. I then use a dry rub of salt and Bells seasoning with a little Old Bay.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
Head Chef
Ditto. Rubbing with salt (more salt than you think is right) and leaving it in the refrigerator (uncovered) and a couple of days gives a similar result with a drier and therefore ultimately crisper skin. No salt should be visible when you take it out to roast it.
"Kitchen duty is awarded only to those of manifest excellence..." - The Master, Dogen
GLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #16
Executive Chef
I have never brined a turkey. I usually buy frozen ones, and usually I have to assume, without remembering now, that they are injected. It's bad enough their breasts are all puffed up that they can barely stand up straight. It's a wonder they dont' catch scoliosis and develop weak knees. I have to think that was not always the case. Those worthless little Plastic Pop Ups When Done thingies have been inserted in frozen birds for a long time. So they could have been injected for a long time as well. This is how I do it. After they are prepared and / or stuffed, I cover the turkey with cheesecloth or my oldest thinnest (clean) dish towel, and then pour melted fat on it. I used to use Crisco before they converted it to transfat free and ruined it. Today, if I had to, I would use peanut oil, since that is pretty much what is in the pantry. I don't think I would use olive oiil, but I am not sure why. I wonder if Lard would work. Anyway, I Baste throughout and tent if it starts to get too brown. Start with a 450 degree oven and immediately Lower oven to 325. Use thermomenter probe to check for doneness.

If I ever get a fresh farm raised turkey with no added chemicals I would use Alton Brown's brine recipe. I do not make our holiday birds. My Bro in Law at thanksgiving, and Sis in laws at Christmas always turn out good/ great / Respectable Turkeys. I am more apt to grill turkeys on a Weber Charcoaler in the summer, similiar minus the cheesecloth. and add herbs / onions/ cut up apples/ orange whatever in the cavity. Oh, and I make gravy from the drippings caught in a pan that sits alongside the coals and which also works to keep the coals separate, so it is as much indirect heat as those big turkeys allow on a Weber.

I get so jealous of Canadian Thanksgiving in October. It's like a being a kid who can't wait until Santa. Now, it's Only 10 more days til Thanksgiving. I can wait. Barely. I love turkey.

Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #17
Master Chef
I do not, but since I use kosher turkey it sort of was brined before. Part of kashering process.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by CharlieD
I do not, but since I use kosher turkey it sort of was brined before. Part of kashering process.
I was reading a review about best turkeys on America's Test Kitchen website, and kosher came up on top as the best tasting.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #19
Master Chef
I was thinking about getting Trader Joe's Kosher turkey....
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #20
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
I find it interesting how often, those that are the most against brining are often the ones that have never tried it.

I'm Bloggin'

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote