Do you brine your Thanksgiving Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so what is the kosher method? ...

Koshering process involves salting and then washing the meat. After meat was salted and sat in that salt for a while, not sure exactly the amount of time, then it goes into water to wash the salt of. And again it seats sometime in the water. Thus koshering process emulates the brining.

Koshering process involves salting and then washing the meat. After meat was salted and sat in that salt for a while, not sure exactly the amount of time, then it goes into water to wash the salt of. And again it seats sometime in the water. Thus koshering process emulates the brining.

Thanks Charlie!:yum:

so the butcher at Hannaford said there would be plenty of All natural fresh Nature Place turkeys up until Thanksgiving. Unfortunately today I found out there all sold out of those. I had to choose between butterball or Shady Brook. I chose Shady brook since it was .99 a pound and ButterBall was more expensive. Even though my family swears by butterball. I plan on brining it though so hopefully Shady Brook is a good turkey.

I made Alton Browns brine. It took a lot longer to come to a boil, I guess salty water takes longer to boil. It ended up less than 4 quarts when I finally decided to take it off the stove and even than it wasn't at a full boil. It's done now though, already cooled off. I'm going with it. Tomorrow night, I'll mix it with the ice water and throw the bird in.

the bucket the bakery game me turns out perfect for the 14 lb bird I bought. I don't see anyone mention anything about putting the cover on it. I wonder if it matters. Probably not

Legend---I have a 5 gallon food grade bucket I just sat the turkeys in for brining. Unfortunately, they are not quite fitting in the bucket (2 of them - 13lbs/each), one is sticking out a little. The one might be more pliable and fit in the bucket once it is fully thawed, so I will come downstairs tonight and push them down a bit and yell at them if necessary to get them under the brine completely.:LOL:

A cover is a good idea if you are brining outdoors. We don't have problems with squirrels or chipmunks in the house, so we are sans cover here.

Turkey tomorrow! Saturday too!:pig:

blissful said:
Legend---I have a 5 gallon food grade bucket I just sat the turkeys in for brining. Unfortunately, they are not quite fitting in the bucket (2 of them - 13lbs/each), one is sticking out a little. The one might be more pliable and fit in the bucket once it is fully thawed, so I will come downstairs tonight and push them down a bit and yell at them if necessary to get them under the brine completely.:LOL:

A cover is a good idea if you are brining outdoors. We don't have problems with squirrels or chipmunks in the house, so we are sans cover here.

Turkey tomorrow! Saturday too!:pig:

I think yelling is the key to brining.

Too cute, Blissful! Happy brining!

Last edited:
Those turkeys do not have ears.:LOL:
NOW you tell me this!

I ended up with both in the brine overnight. The top one- was thawed so I cooked it today. I didn't get half the amount of turkey juice in the bottom of the pan that I expected. The turkey was, moist and turned out well.

Tomorrow, the second turkey, though I want more juice.

I usually cook at 300 for a longer time, this time I cooked at 350 degrees F for 3 and 1/2 hours. I wonder if the lower temperature kept more moisture in the pan.

Back
Top Bottom