"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 01-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
Master Chef

It is a very interesting idea, but, too expensive for my taste. I do like the concept of someone doing the menu and putting it all together so that all I have to do is cook it, but, I'm not going to pay $110 for 6 entrees.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Actually this is not quite right. By this example, the food is already cooked, but with these dream dinners and other places the food is not cooked. You bring it home and cook it when you want.
Read it again. You bring it home and HEAT IT UP when you want. The pacakged food is already cooked, whetehr they give it to you already cooked or you cook it at their location depends on the facility, but what you bring home and freeze is a fully cooked meal.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

If you are talking about dream dinner Caine then I am sorry, but you are wrong. I did a lot of research on them when I was considering buying a store. All the ingredients are raw. There are no cooking facilities there. You package up your food and bring it home raw to cook yourself.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #14
Executive Chef

That must not be the same thing my sister was doing. Her meals were cooked in quantity and prepared for the freezer. I think they did about 5 or 6 different menus and a quantity of each. She was very satisfied with the quality of the food. She did have a problem making room in her freezer for all the packages.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

From what I have read some of the meals are cooked and some are raw. I wouldn't want to cook a steak there and warm it up later at home KWIM? I think that many of the meals are partially cooked, for example, with a pasta dish the sauce would be cooked but the pasta wouldn't be.
I'm going to look into it a little more before I decide to do it.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I stand corrected. I just watched their video and GB is totally right. It is all prep, no cooking involved. I'm rethinking this now.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

We have something similar in my area called Lets Dish (Let's Dish!), along with Dream Dinners and some others.

My boss has been several times and raves. Her only objection is that the portions are too large for just her and her young daughter. All food is raw to be cooked at home. Basically you just assemble the packages with pre-measured ingredients.

Spending a Sat. morning assembling the goodies for a bunch of meals does not sound like a total waste of time to me. Didn't Jeff Smith (the Frugal Gourmet) recommend this years ago?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:39 PM   #18
Executive Chef

In the case of the food being raw, why not just make those foods at home and prepare for freezer? I don't see much of a time savings in that. A friend and I thought about opening a place similar to a takeout deli, but making homestyle dishes to order. It was a good idea, but I'm glad we didn't do it since she didn't turn out to be such a dependable person. I probably would have had to do all the work.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Licia, all the prep work is done. Everything is cleaned and cut the way it is supposed to be. This type of service is aimed at families who do not have a lot of time, or cooking knowledge. The recipes are done for them. The prep work is done for them. The planning is done for them. All they need to do is package things up and then bring it home. When it is time for a meal they pull it out of the freezer and stick it in the oven. For someone who does not know how to cook, does not have time to do prep work, does not have the inclination to search out recipes that they would like, this can be a huge convenience.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #20
Senior Cook

When I bought the gift certificate I visited the place. The food is not
cooked all the prep work was done, you assemble and freeze the meals
and cook them when you want. All the mess is left there for them to clean up. The place was very clean and seems like a great idea.

I will let you know what my folks think once they try it.