Easter and Passover Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Do you have Easter plans? What are you fixing? I happen to be going to Passover supper on Wednesday evening, then Easter dinner on Sunday at friends' houses. I'm in charge of wine for Passover, and don't yet know what my freind wants me to bring for Easter.

We are going out for early brunch on Easter- this is a tradition my kids refuse to give up.Then visit friends in the afternoon where I always bring a dessert and this year we are also invited to Dennis'(my son)girlfriend's house for dessert which I am bringing as well. The only thing for sure I know I am making is chocolate chipcookie filled cupcakes as per request of Laurie(Dennis' girlfriend).The other home we're visiting has requested Paula Deen's Gorilla bread -so I'll probably doing that too.

Claire said:
Do you have Easter plans? What are you fixing? I happen to be going to Passover supper on Wednesday evening, then Easter dinner on Sunday at friends' houses. I'm in charge of wine for Passover, and don't yet know what my freind wants me to bring for Easter.

That is kind of strange. :rolleyes:

Claire said:

Claire, I'm not familiar with Passover supper...what foods are traditionally served?

I went a few years ago to this friend's Passover, and I know there was unleavened bread (that was part of the ceremony), and that anything with breadcrumbs or flour was made with matzo meal. Although she doesn't eat shellfish or pork, she doesn't keep a kosher kitchen (her husband is Catholic), but for ceremonial dinners she keeps as kosher as she can without having the two sets of dishes or even separate kitchens to be truly kosher. It seems there was a braised beef brisket and matzo ball soup. My husband and I say that we honor all relgions in our home. The ceremonial meal was a lot like a Roman Catholic mass with the male head of household as priest and youngest son as acolyte. You definitely could see the origins of the religion I was raised in. Yes, it seems odd to some that we're celebrating Passover on Weds and Easter on Sunday, but it is a cultural diversity that I love. I suspect that the meal's traditional foods vary from country to country as long as you stick to the basic "rules." -- i.e., someone whose roots are in Poland would have a different meal from someone with African or Middle Eastern grandparents, as long as it was kosher. In other words, no rare meat, no pork in a cream sauce with shrimp cocktail! Oh, yes, there were also bitter greens of some sort. Hmmm .... guess I should have put Passover into the title line here so we could get someone who knows what they are talking about. As for me, I just hit the best local liquor emporium for a bottle each of Manischevitz and Mogen David. What's next? How about Ramadam?

Claire that was nicely explained. I am always honored when I am included in such a meal. And yes , the roots are clearly visible aren't they.

We have friends who join us for Thanksgiving and reciprocate at Easter. We also flip at Christmas and New Years too. SO Easter dinner will be roast lamb and it will be wonderful.

Clair I changed the title of your thread. I hope that is what you wnated it to look like.

There is the cerimonial part of the passover meal and then the "feastive meal" part. The cerimonial part has a few different things that are eaten in a certain order as the hagada (passover story) is read.

The feastive meal part can be anything as long as it is kosher for passover. Kosher for passover just means that nothing in the food can rise when cooked. that is why no flour or anything like that can be used. Different peole have different interpretations on what is kosher for passover and what is not. For instance, some people think corn, since it expands when cooked, is not kosher for passover so they do not drink soda made with corn syrup during the holiday.

The meal itself can be just about anything. Brisket and turkey with lots of veggies and kuggles are standard fare with the people I know, but anything can be served as long as it is kosher for passover.

Claire said:
as long as it was kosher. In other words, no rare meat
Rare meat is kosher as long as the meat it is coming from is kosher.

Thanks, Claire, for the explanation. I think it's great that you join in different religious celebrations with friends. Friendship is all about sharing!! :)

I was posting to Claire while your post was published, GB. Thanks for your explanation, too.

Thanks, GB, I just couldn't figure out how to do it. I'm glad my mental meanderings didn't include anything not quite right! It appears that I'm to be the wine maven for Easter as well, but it will be much dryer!!!!! Yes, we are quite honored to be included in the Passover feast. My freind gives us a handout so we can say the prayers. I read voraciously, so none of it was completely foreign to me even the first time. I have a great love of tradition and differing cultures. Comes from being a military family, I guess.

Just got back from Passover Seder. The meal was a braised briskit of beef, a savory potato kugel, an apple salad, the the traditional herbs, salt, boiled egg, etc. Most important was the comraderie.

We are doing are Easter meal tomorrow versus Sunday - I'm having a few different things this year:
  • lime and cilantro potato salad (I think I finally have the recipe right)
  • carrot and horseradish casserole (had this about 15 years ago and it was wonderful!!
  • wild mushroom bread pudding
  • prosciutto slathered with goat cheese, wrapped around asparagus, then drizzled with a red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, and chive dressing (I've made this several times - it's a great finger food)

then the usual:
escalloped oysters
ham

Others are bringing grean beans, rolls, desserts, deviled eggs, and whatever their favorite traditional Easter dish is. We definately won't be lacking for food - Sunday will be pure pleasure with the left-overs!

I HAD a wonderful goat cheese, pesto, sundried tomato torte that I made but my husband brought home one of our friends (safer at our house than driving home) and THEY ATE IT!! LOL

What :pig:'s !!! At least they appreciated it even in their "condition"!!!! :-p Some friends came over tongiht and helped me chop, dice, slice and cook and they got to eat the rest of it! I guess as long as someone enjoyed that's all that mattered. I like to feed my friends - they love to eat and that makes me happy! :chef:

we're having our Easter ham, with probably corn & peas, crescents, potatoes, dessert, etc.
Grandpa has to take it easy with sodium, so chicken for him. i was thinking of cooking a dish.

Back
Top Bottom